The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Kaiser Soeze

My first foray into Black Powder

My dear wife gave me this 1858 Uberti Remington New Army for Christmas. As my first foray into the realm of Black Powder, I had to read, read and read some more. Thankfully there is plenty to read especially in the stickys. Since I was waiting for the basic supplies to arrive and a trip to the Bass Pro Shop for powder and caps I had time to read. I read posts about goongunworks in Georgia. I called Mike to ask some questions and before I knew it an hour had gone by. Mike is so easy to talk with about the black powder sport. So without any hesitation, I sent it off to goongunworks for his action tuning. So until it returns home, I will read, read and read some more.

Last edited by Kaiser Soeze; January 1, 2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old January 1, 2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Model12Win

Excellent.

If you're going to Bass Pro, check and see if they've got REAL black powder, i.e. GOEX.

That's the good stuff, and will never let you down like the substitutes will.

You've come to the right place to learn about this hobby. There are many knowledgeable and experienced people here. It really is a learning experience and they aren't as easy to deal with as cartridge guns, but once you start making smoke and start kicking those big ass lead balls down range, you'll understand why they are so awesome!
Old January 1, 2016, 04:23 PM   #3
BlackPowderBen

Welcome to the bp world! Black powder shooting is really just plain fun and there is so much to it. That's a great gun to start out with, especially a Uberti in stainless steel!
Old January 1, 2016, 05:24 PM   #4
AKexpat

Heh Heh! My first contact with Mike (Goon) was on a forum, then on email, then on the phone. I don't think you will find a more intelligent nor experienced person when it comes to tuning ANY C&B revolver, in my estimation. And, you are correct: that guy can talk! It is not idle words, and he will answer any question you have. That tells me he has such expertise that he is not worried about anyone moving into his niche.

Your decision to goonerize your pistol is a wise one. I have yet to do so because my retirement funds are limited and I don't shoot them like most of you folks do. I mostly collect Colt-related open-top replicas for historical and fantasy purposes, one pistol at a time.

I like your statement about read, read, and read. Good for you!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 1, 2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Hawg

Yep, Mike will make your new toy slicker that snot on a porcelain doorknob.
Old January 1, 2016, 07:19 PM   #6
g.willikers

Try some Hodgdon Triple 7 powder, too.
You might like it as much as I do.
Very clean burning without the nasty sulfur smell.
If you have a sulfur allergy like some folks, it might even be a necessity.
Old January 1, 2016, 09:23 PM   #7
Hawg

Nothing smells as good as the real deal but Pyrodex is a close second.
Old January 2, 2016, 10:49 AM   #8
g.willikers

Blegh!
Achoo.
We get enough sulfur stink around here from the neighbors' well water irrigation.
Old January 3, 2016, 04:33 PM   #9
maddog613

bp

bass proshop in southern ca.does not have goex instock. so i went got pyrodex instead.
Old January 3, 2016, 05:24 PM   #10
44 Dave

Well what do you expect for California, too much smoke for their EPA!
Old January 3, 2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Model12Win

Real black powder is a natural substance. It even tastes good, and is edible in small quantities. It was used as a seasoning during times of emergency.
Old January 4, 2016, 02:21 AM   #12
45 Dragoon

Hey Kaiser, AKexpat, Hawg,! Thanks for the kind words guys!!

Hey, talkin's easy!! Ha ha, and I've gotta say, tuning revolvers is (to me) like fine tuning cars. Any little thing you can do to make them run better than the other guys is worth it!! Efficiency is number one and that includes perfect timing, treatment of/ engagement of the working surfaces and proper tension of each spring. When it all comes together, its amazing!!! Not to mention, its hard to put a car on a bench so, revolvers are easier to work with!
I was pretty much raised in a garage so anything mechanical is fascinating to me and a challenge to make it function better. Believe me, some are quite challenging!!!!

I'm a little anal about it but you have to be, a revolver isn't a toy and after all is said and done, it has to be safe!!

So thanks again guys and I'm always willing to learn, ready to help.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; January 4, 2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:03 AM   #13
Hawg

Mike I might not want some of your mods but they work. I've heard you praised by too many people to think otherwise. So, yeah I'll put in a good word for you when I can.

was that ok, did you get your money's worth?
Old January 4, 2016, 11:17 AM   #14
45 Dragoon

Perfect Bro.!!!

(Check's inna mail!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old January 4, 2016, 11:54 AM   #15
Hawg

Old January 4, 2016, 10:32 PM   #16
maddog613

bp

44 dave your right on the money.a lib state
Old January 9, 2016, 07:07 PM   #17
bn12gg

If you elect to shoot Triple 7 (a substitute) rather than real black powder (e.g., Goex) remember that the Triple 7 is more potent than the black powder. Consult a chart.

David
Old January 10, 2016, 09:37 PM   #18
B.L.E.

Quote:
Well what do you expect for California, too much smoke for their EPA!
Pyrodex smokes just as much as black powder and really doesn't smell that much different.
Old January 10, 2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Model12Win

I find those that stick up for or endorse the substitutes like Pyrodex either are new to muzzle loading, or they simply can't find real black powder in their area.

All of us "in the know" on the subject know that real black powder is the only way to go!
Old January 10, 2016, 09:57 PM   #20
ThomasT

I guess I am not "in the know". But I have been shooting BP guns since 1992. I have used a lot of pyrodex and many pounds of of real BP. Plus I cast all the balls and bullets I use.

I have about 5 pounds of pyrodex on hand and 38 pounds of Goex on hand. So maybe some of us are a little smarter than you may think.

I have also built 8 kit guns that were rifles and three single shot handguns. And that includes the Lyman Great Plains rifle you are wanting to get. There are a few tips you could use but I think I will let you figure them out yourself since you are "in the know".
Old January 10, 2016, 10:04 PM   #21
ThomasT

To the OP. Thats a slick looking gun you have. My 1858 is a brass framed version from Richland Arms. Mine was broke when it was given to me but I found the hand and spring at Dixie Gunworks and fitted the new parts. These are dirt simple guns to work on. Fun to shoot too.

Let us know what you think when you fire it for the first time. You can order black powder online from Powder Inc. I have bought 50 pounds from them and another 25 pounds from a place named Coonies IIRC. But I am not sure they are in business anymore.
Old January 10, 2016, 10:39 PM   #22
Hawg

Quote:
I find those that stick up for or endorse the substitutes like Pyrodex either are new to muzzle loading, or they simply can't find real black powder in their area.

All of us "in the know" on the subject know that real black powder is the only way to go!
Well, I've been shooting bp since 1969. I do prefer black but it's not available locally and I seldom have the money to buy in bulk and no there's nobody else to share costs with. So I shoot a lot of Pyrodex. Besides it's the closest to real black than any of the other subs. When I do have the coin to spend on real bp I buy Swiss.
Old January 11, 2016, 09:25 AM   #23
BlackPowderBen

I've been using pyrodex, but now I'm going to stop since I am now making my black powder.
Old January 11, 2016, 10:38 AM   #24
foolzrushn

ben

Well, you have the user handle for that....think I should have chosen Pyro Pete.
I would like to have the experience of making it, but guess I must be too lazy.

Just never get in a hurry and let that process bite ya. Wouldn't want you to need to change part of your user to Boom.

certified 'soap welder'
Old January 11, 2016, 10:58 AM   #25
BlackPowderBen

I'll be careful with it. I think it's not as dangerous as it seems. Just never smoke when your making it

Tags
1858 remington , goongunworks , uberti