The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2001, 10:37 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

Well for me at least. I see T/C has come out with their Firestorm flintlock in stainless! Traditional feel with stainless steel. I've been waiting to see a SS flintlock for quite some time. Has anyone else shot one of these or any of the other T/C Firestorms?
Old March 12, 2001, 04:02 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Hopefully rust isn't half of muzzleloading. You could make the same argument against using Pyrodex, saboted ammo, even Minie balls. Very few folks who muzzleload are strict "purists". Heck, a lot of people don't even run their own ball or cut their own patches-at least I do that! Besides, stainless looks almost like barrel steel in the white. For me the challenge is a long lock time, heavy fouling that can prevent ignition and the rainbow trajectory. The fun for me is being able to make my own ammo, and test it against store bought stuff.
Old March 12, 2001, 06:09 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Being traditional...

I have an aversion to stainless steel for blackpowder guns. However a good point was brought up by you Poodleshooter: stainless steel can be polished such that it appears to be bright steel. This would be ideal for a Civil War Springfield Musket (1861 or 1863). What a great idea! Same goes for the barrel bands and springs (on the earlier model), tang, trigger guard and bayonet. Yes, I can live with a brightly polished stainless steel minie ball firing musket. Even a in-the-white Brown Bess or Charleville will do too.
Old March 12, 2001, 09:07 PM   #4
handgunhunting

it is poodles money, gun and if he wants a S.S. flint lock he should have one.
As for not shooting it around me I would not be so shallow to not shoot with an another just be cause I don't care for his choice in guns.