The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 8, 2024, 05:48 PM   #1
Prof Young

New Rifle

Riflemen . . . and women . . . . um . . . Rifle Persons . . . .

Picked up a Ruger American Ranch AR Style Blued Rifle. (see pics below) 5.56 caliber. Comes with the usual stuff and a ten round AR style magazine. I mounted a Pentax scope on it. Pentax scopes have a lifetime guarantee. You can drop them from a ten story building, run over them with your truck (bulldozer) or have them trampled by a herd of water buffalo. Send it back to Pentax and get a new one. Gotta love that. I have not shot it yet, but I loaded the mag and worked all ten rounds through the action. The action is relatively smooth, but could be a touch better. Break in might help there. This will be a fun gun to shoot and if I ever get the urge to hunt coyote again . . . .

Life is good
Prof Young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6658.jpg (75.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6657.jpg (146.5 KB, 62 views)
Old February 9, 2024, 11:37 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I've had my eye on those rifles for a while, just hadn't gotten around to getting one. Hope it shoots lights-out!
Old February 9, 2024, 01:53 PM   #3
bamaranger

bethcha!

I bet your gonna love it. Some time back I came very close to buying a Mossberg MVP, same concept, a bolt fed .223 that takes AR mags. Truth be told, I'd rather have the Ruger anyhow. Everyone I know that has had experience with the "American" line claims they are great shooters. The Predator .308 in my safe is certainly accurate.

I've no experience with Pentax scopes, but a full replacement lifetime warranty sounds pretty good to me. Most curious as to what style of glass you installed.
I'd be tempted to go the LPV lighted route myself for that rifle, say 1-6x with a lighted aiming point.

Best of luck with your new rig.
Old February 9, 2024, 02:09 PM   #4
taylorce1

I love my RAR in .300 BLK. I like the rotary mag better than the AR mags, for the flush fit. I've had no issues with feeding that some have reported with the rotary magazines.

I've used a couple of Pentax scopes in the past. I never had a reason to use their warranty. I don't currently have any of their optics.