The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 18, 2024, 12:35 PM   #1
JDP

Montana Rifle Company - Do I have an Alaskan

I hope I have selected the right forum for my topic.
Looking for someone with knowledge of Montana Rifle Company (MRC) rifles made from 2000 to 2015. I have acquired the rifle in the attached photo. It is an MRC 1999, .416 Rigby Magnum rifle. That is about all I know except for what is stamped on the gun. On the left side of the receiver, in big bold letters, is “PROFESSIONAL HUNTER”. On the right side of the receiver, just forward of the chamber is “DGR” in small print. Other than the brand and caliber, there is nothing else alluding to the model name. I believe this might be an MRC Alaskan for a couple of reasons. First, it is a DGR. Second, it has a composite stock. The other two DGR made early-on by MGR were offered with wood stocks. Near as I can tell, the Alaskan is the only one that came with a composite stock. I would like to confirm that this is an Alaskan, and if it isn’t, what is it. I would like to know when it was made. I read somewhere that the MRC serial numbers indicate a MRC rifle date of manufacture. The serial on this gun is D13-0013. Finally, I would like to have some idea of it value. I understand that being a PROFESSIONAL HUNTER push the value up by about $1,000. I have tried contacting MRC a couple of times, but they apparently not interested in responding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full LS - 0.jpg (411.1 KB, 83 views)
Old February 18, 2024, 02:05 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I understand that being a PROFESSIONAL HUNTER push the value up by about $1,000.
What you need to understand is that collector value and actual value can be quite different things. Having certain markings on a gun may make it the one rare item some collector of such things needs to fill a gap in their collection, and some of them would be willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get their hands on it.

That gun has a special high value, but ONLY to that collector who wants it.

Anytime anyone tells you a gun is worth X more than standard price, do check the source. And, if its only one source saying it, don't take it as holy writ that source is correct. Especially if the guy saying it is the guy selling it!!
Old February 18, 2024, 02:48 PM   #3
GeauxTide

DGR is Dangerous Game Rifle, which 416 Rigby qualifies. I don't believe that the "Magnum" moniker was attached to this cartridge, since it had no belt. It was a "magnum" in performance, throwing 400gr bullets at 2400fps.
Old February 18, 2024, 09:07 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The term "magnum" came from the wine industry, where it designated a larger than standard size bottle.

Holland and Holland added the name to their belted .375 round introduced in 1912, because it, literally, had a larger than standard size bottle (case). in 1925 they did it again with their .300 H&H Magnum. People associated magnum rifle rounds with belted cases, and both Win and Rem made a lot of belted case designs in the 50s on up.

There were some rifle rounds named magnum that didn't have belts, .222 Rem Mag was one.

In pistols Magnum rounds don't have belts, they are just "bigger bottles" than previous standard size rounds.
Old February 19, 2024, 07:42 AM   #5
taylorce1

First off I'm not an expert on MRC. However, the MRC you're emailing isn't the MRC that built your rifle. MRC shutterd its doors several years ago, and the company was purchased and moved.

ASFAIK all the Alaskan models of MRC rifles were a satin finished stainless steel, is your rifle coated or CM that's blued. None of the Alaskans I've seen had a barrel band sling swivel. MRC was more of a semi-custom rifle company so it wouldn't be surprising to have a composite stock on any of their predominantly wood stocked rifles. It wouldn't be unusual for some previous owner to restock a rifle either.

The Professional Hunter signifies it's a double square bridge action. So yes that's an upgrade from the standard 1999 action. Is it $1000 more, that really depends on other market factors. However, it probably cost an extra $1000 when purchased new.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 19, 2024 at 03:06 PM.
Old February 19, 2024, 08:40 AM   #6
ligonierbill

The brand is now owned by Grace Engineering in Michigan. If you look at their website, they are offering the MRC 1999 action (just one, no double square bridge) in a very limited number of calibers, with more coming this year. The big Rigby is not on the list. So you have an out-of-production rifle, which is good news for rarity, bad news for factory support. There are a lot of MRC rifles on Gunbroker, with prices all over the map. You can search "completed auctions" to see what they actually sold for.

Internet reviews of the original MRC rifles are mostly good, but a few noted problems. One thing I cannot confirm: It is mentioned that the original receivers were cast by Ruger, and finish machined by MRC. Not that this is bad. Ruger at its heart is a casting company, and this retired metallurgist would have no qualms. However, Grace now machines their actions from 416 billets. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'd say you have a nice rifle with no "collector" premium. Should be worth $4,000 to $5,000 to someone who wants a hybrid square bridge magnum Mauser action, but can't afford (or find) a Brevex.
Old February 19, 2024, 10:38 AM   #7
Quick1

JDP, I have two Montana rifle company rifles I am trying to sell with little luck at this time. They are great guns, all stainless and carbon fiber stocks, but many buyers know they are from a now out of business manufacture. All the info presented here is correct, the old MRC is not the same as the new. I had a long conversation with the owner of the new MRC, great guy, but bottom line is they will offer no support to the old rifles. If you are looking to sell, you will have to find that special buyer who wants that specific rifle from a out of business company with no warrenty support.
Old February 19, 2024, 04:25 PM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Ruger at its heart is a casting company,
My understanding is that Ruger is a firearms company, which owns, or has a controlling interest in a casting company (Pine Tree Casting??) who makes the castings that Ruger turns into firearms.