The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Fish_Scientist

"Portable" reloading bench?

I read on this thread about reloading that apparently, space really isn't an issue when it comes to a reloading set up. A number of individuals on that thread wrote that they have their set up bolted to a 2x6, bring it out when they reload, then stash it in the closet when they're done. Is there any chance that I could get a look at those set-ups?

I've been wanting to get into reloading for some time now (mainly for .44 magnum and .30-06, but now for .45 ACP as well) but have always thought that space (or rather my lack thereof) would be an issue. That appears to NOT be the case.

What say you, TFL? If you've got a "portable" or smaller reloading set up, could I see a picture of your set up and a list of your equipment?

Thanks -

Fish
Old May 10, 2011, 01:03 PM   #2
PA-Joe

Frankford Arsenal makes a portable table with a 12"x12" top and a 18"0 diameter base. Can hold 2 presses.
Old May 10, 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
PawPaw

Lee Precision makes a portable reloading stand, although with a little imagination any number of alternatives might reveal themselves. I've seen guy reload on a Black and Decker workmate.

I once had a portable reloading setup that stored neatly in a briefcase.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 10, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
serf 'rett

I have my RCBS Rock Chucker mounted on a 1-1/2" board which I clamp in my Workmate clone. The 1-1/2" mounting board has a 3/4" board screwed to the back, forming a "L" shape, which serves as a clamping surface in the Workmate clone table clamps. For use on the shop beach, the press can be remounted on the flip side and clamped to the bench top.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:48 PM   #5
k4swb

Sorry, I didn't take time to clean things up. I've used this RCBS RS-5 press for close to 30 years to load many, many thousands of rounds of ammo from .25 ACP to 30-06 set up just as shown here. Some people use real thick boards but if you put the clamps close to the press base you can use a smaller board. I won't even show the setup for my fairly new Hornady LNL AP although it is mounted permanently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCBS Press 001.jpg (149.1 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg RCBS Press 003.jpg (123.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg RCBS Press 005.jpg (136.3 KB, 231 views)
Old May 10, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
hanno

Get a Black & Decker Workmate 225 and replace the top with 3/4" plywood.

Here's mine when it was brand new some years ago. It works great. If I need to take it down, it is easy to dismount the press and powder thrower and fold it up for storage.

Old May 10, 2011, 06:41 PM   #7
flashhole

I built this to haul back and forth to the range. It now has handles on either side for carrying and a flange for mounting a plastic bin. The rest of the gear is in a rubbermaid tool box.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 10, 2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Walkalong

Nice.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Wag

I seem to remember that someone had one set up that mounts to a trailer hitch. Might be kinda cool to have.

--Wag--
Old May 10, 2011, 09:51 PM   #10
k4swb

How do you get the pictures to go into the message body?
Old May 10, 2011, 11:56 PM   #11
Marco Califo

This is my turret, clamped to a 2x12", which is clamped to a HFT workmate.

I am thinking, maybe just the 2x12" is needed, and I could bolt it to a 2" hitch extension on either end of my truck.

Old May 14, 2011, 09:38 AM   #12
dwhite

I've got a Lee Hand Press which has worked very well for me for going on 4 years. It's loaded thousands of rounds.

I've got space issues also and I don't shoot thousands of rounds per month. So it fulfills my needs. I can get 60 rounds an hour fairly easliy.

All the Best,
D. White
Old May 14, 2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Smaug

Check my signature thread

Here's my portable set-up:

While it is slower and requires more effort than a mounted press, I can do it from the comfort of a recliner couch.

Right now, my bench press, a Lee Challenger Breech Lock, is bolted to a board with another board coming out the bottom in T-shape, and clamped into the woodworking vise in my garage. When I'm not loading, it is not in the way. The T-board that gets clamped is attached with Kreg pocket screws, and the corners are reinforced with glue blocks. That setup is not as compact as the hand press shown above, but it is out of the way when I need to do something else with the space. The whole set-up is probably around $100.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 14, 2011, 10:23 AM   #14
wuluf

Here's a thread on that very topic..
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448406
Old May 14, 2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Wag

Nice setup but I'd leave out the beer from any reloading equation.

--Wag--
Old May 14, 2011, 05:11 PM   #16
flashhole

If it weren't for beer I would never get through the brass processing step. Never have it on the bench when charging cases but when processing large quantities of brass it's an essential part of the process.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old May 14, 2011, 05:51 PM   #17
Wag

--Wag--
Old May 14, 2011, 06:41 PM   #18
Marco Califo

Beer?

Different brands of beer have different reloading characteristics. The more carbon dioxide dissolved in the solution, the lower the percentage of methane in the resulting bowel gases. The higher carbon dioxide ratio in gaseous excrement reduces flammability; especially important to those who lunch on bean and cheese burritos with extra onions, and then smoke and break wind while reloading. I recommend that these persons keep a window open, and do not entertain guests.
Old May 14, 2011, 07:06 PM   #19
Jim243

Quote:
Nice setup but I'd leave out the beer from any reloading equation.
Actually it is the James Bond movie that should be left out not the beer. Too distracting while reloading. Could result in an over charge or doubble charge or even no charge depending on what Bond is doing at the time and with who.

Jim
Old May 14, 2011, 11:12 PM   #20
Smaug

There are no dangers presented by the beer or movie. Being single stage, I do a quality check after each step.

Before I load the bullets, I check each case with a flashlight, preventing any double charges or no charges.

To each his own. I focus better when something else is going on; radio at a minimum, James Bond and a couple beers at a maximum.

This works for me.

"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer

Last edited by Smaug; May 15, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:28 PM   #21
uncyboo

Smaug,

Your portable setup is very very similar to mine. Works well when you spend months at a time in either a motor home or motel room.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:48 AM   #22
jmorris

When we were kids, my Brother and I bolted or presses onto 4x4s and clamped them into a bench vice when in use.

Bolting them to wood or steel mounts that you can C clamp down to a table works too.

Or if you don't even have anything to set/clamp it to I have also built mounts that fit into 2" recievers that work too.

Old May 15, 2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Zildjian

Portable stand

Heres mine built on a 21" x 10" x 5/16" steel plate. space was also an issue with me. Have 2 Dillon 550 presse's ,1 Lyman turrett press and 1 RCBS jr. set
up to cut and form my .35 cal. Gas chk's on it. Had to get out of the Tin building storage .Summer in there to reload was like being in an oven so I had to come up with something small , Inside the house was better and cooler.
Just my 2ยข.

Attachment 70305

Last edited by Zildjian; February 17, 2017 at 03:31 PM.