The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
rebs

H&G 68 bullets in 200 lswc ?

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where to buy these bullets ? Is it possible to only buy about 100 so I can try them or do they only come in a 500 box ?
I bought some at a local gun shop that looked the same but they are not the same as the H&G 68, there close but not the same.
I am loading 4.0 gr of bullseye and getting groups of 5 to 6 inches at 25 yds. The 4 gr came highly recommended by some guys on this forum but perhaps my particular gun needs something a little different. But I want to try the real H&G 68's and see how they perform. MY 45 is a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match.
Old June 22, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2
mehavey

This is the only place (that I know) to get them:

https://secure25.securewebsession.co....com/order.htm

10th bullet up from the bottom.
Old June 22, 2012, 04:33 PM   #3
rebs

Thank you, I see that have a 250 quantity, I'll order them unless I find a cheaper price or a place where I can just get 100 of them to try.
Old June 23, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Robert Palermo

The only differance between the original H&G 68 and the current version I offer now is a slight improvement in the sharp depth of the shoulder area. The current version is the same as the original as I still have the original H&G68 blocks.

Your inaccuracy from the current bullets could be due to several other factors more so than just the general shape of the bullets.
Cast quality, excessive weight deviations between the bullets and improper sizing could all lead to less than stellar performance.

I will send you a 100 bullets to try if you desire. www.pennbullets.com
Old June 24, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
rebs

Quote:
The only differance between the original H&G 68 and the current version I offer now is a slight improvement in the sharp depth of the shoulder area. The current version is the same as the original as I still have the original H&G68 blocks.

Your inaccuracy from the current bullets could be due to several other factors more so than just the general shape of the bullets.
Cast quality, excessive weight deviations between the bullets and improper sizing could all lead to less than stellar performance.

I will send you a 100 bullets to try if you desire. www.pennbullets.com
Old June 24, 2012, 07:50 AM   #6
rebs

Mr. Palermo
I have contacted you through your email on your web site. This is a most generous offer and shows your confidence in your bullets and says a lot about your company. You are the type of person I want to do business with for my bullets.
Thank you
Old June 24, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Robert Palermo

Got your e- mail . Bullets will go out this week. follow my suggestions in the e-mail.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
rebs

Quote:
Got your e- mail . Bullets will go out this week. follow my suggestions in the e-mail.
I will definitely follow your suggestions and appreciate all your help. It is not very often you run into the president of a company with your generosity and willingness to help an individual.
Thank you very much.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Quote:
Well, which is it?
Are they the same as the original or "a slight improvement?"

There are so many knockoffs flying under the H&G name that some real H&Gs would be a treat.
Old June 24, 2012, 12:07 PM   #10
snuffy

Getting mail-order bullets is one way. Another is to make your own;

That's a MP mold, obtained through a group buy over on http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ It's an almost exact copy of the H&G 68.

http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds

Yes, it shoots quite nicely, and I can have as many as I want, I just have to make them.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 29, 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
rebs

I received the 45 lswc bullets from Mr. Palermo that he was generous to send me to try. I will say they look beautiful, perfect bullets, no dings or dents, impressions or anything and after weighing them I find a very very slight difference in weight between 199.9 to 200.3 gr. in a very few. Almost all were 200 on the money. I cannot wait to shoot them on Monday or Tuesday, I'll post a follow up after that.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:39 PM   #12
rebs

I had a chance to shoot the 200 gr lswc's that Mr. Palermo sent me and I have to say I am a happy shooter, very happy. Penn bullets are the way to go. My groups shrank to less than 2 1/2 inches at 25 yds. I believe they would shoot even better if I was capable on doing my part. I will definitely be ordering Penn bullets from now on.
Thank you Mr. Palermo for the opportunity to try your bullets.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:41 PM   #13
jimsredcorvette

Testing your H&G #68s

Find a friend with a Ransom Rest and grip inserts for a 1911. When I was shooting (35 years ago) my load was 3.5 grains of Bullseye with the 200 grain H&G #68. They would group in a single ragged hole about the size of Quarter

What made the bullets so good was Gibbs made the molds for your particular gun. First he had you push an oversized pure lead slug thru the barrel and measure the exact diameter to the lans grooves.

What you want is a sized bullet that is .001 larger than this so that the lead contacts the grooves and makes a gas tight seal. If this does not happen, gas will go by the bullet tipping in one way or the other. If the finished bullet is too big, then it will deform until it fits the barrel and will most likely be out of round If your barrel is .451, then you want finished bullets that are .452.

but to get this, the bullets must drop from the mold at .453. You size by pushing the bullets thru a precise sized die.

PS I'm so old that I actually shot with Chuck Ransom in San Berdino.

And to guarentee that this will happen, the mold maker needs to know what alloy of metal you are using because different alloys shrik different amounts.
In my case I told them straight wheel weights and the mold was made accordingly.

If you size the barrel of three guns, you will likely get three different sizes.