The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 6, 2000, 10:04 AM   #1
Larz

Ok.. I have a savage 10fp in 308. I need a good scope for it. I have been looking at a 650 dollar Leupold. But right now Midway USA has a 6-24X44 target scope on special. I am on a tight budget. So is leupold all that much better or should I just go with the cheap Tasco. I have heard that Tasco scopes are quite good now. Please help. Larz
Old November 6, 2000, 10:43 AM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

For a happy medium, go with a B&L 4200 series target scope. They are fog proof and VERY clear. Ever since B&L bought Bushnell, the quality is unsurpassed. I would buy a B&L 4200 series scope over a Leupold now a days and I'm a DIEHARD Leupold fan.

You also get a lifetime warranty with the B&L scopes.
Old November 6, 2000, 05:11 PM   #3
PJR

I'd second the motion on the B&L. I have two of the earlier 4000 series and they compare very well with my Leupold Vari-XIII. The higher end Tascos might be as good as the Leupold but I've owned four Leupold scopes and never regretted owning them. The Tascos were certainly cheaper and eventually proved themselves not up to the job. You get what you pay for.
Old November 6, 2000, 10:05 PM   #4
Tony White

I put one of the Tasco SuperSniper 10x42M on a 308 bolt gun, I like it. It tracks correctly and returns to 100yd zero after cranking it to 1000yd drop.
Old November 6, 2000, 10:46 PM   #5
700PSS Shooter

I have a number of Leupolds including the 3.5-10X40LR M3. I have owned the Tasco SS10X42. It is not the same as the Leupold M3. However at less than half the cost, it is very nice and repeatable. Mine was extremely crisp, contrasty, and clear.

Other than the SS, and a few custom shop offerings, Tasco scopes are verboten on my rifles as PoS. But that SS10X42 is a real sleeper.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 and their predecessor B&L Elite 3000 series are bargains. I would even take a Japanese-made Bushnell Sportview over a cheap or mid-range Tasco. Never had a problem with a Sportview. Real nice for a cheap scope for a .22 or knockabout rifle.
------------------

[This message has been edited by 700PSS Shooter (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old November 7, 2000, 12:52 AM   #6
JerryM

Don't buy a second rate scope. You don't have to pay 650 for a Leupold. Get a fixed power not over 6x and maybe 4x depending on where you are. If you get a var get something no greater than 8x on the top end. You will find the lower powered variables more useful, cheaper and lighter. I have fixed 4x on most of my big game rifles, but do have a Leupold Vari X III, 21/2 to 8 on a .270. The only times I have felt the need for a power greater than 4x is when antelope hunting and being able to keep up with the buck in a herd. A small variable is nice and tht is the reason I got the Vari X III. It was the first var I found that was is as bright as a fixed power scope and about the size of a straight 6x. If money was tight I would get a Leupold, Burris or some similar quality scope in a fixed power, probably 4 power. High power scopes are not a substitute for binoculars. Again, I recommend that you buy a high quality scope. You will not be sorry and won't have scope trouble that might ruin a hunt for a good trophy. I have found this true in over 45 years of big gaame hunting around the US and Alaska. Jerry
Old November 7, 2000, 07:36 PM   #7
slickpuppy

Larz,
You haven't mentioned what purpose your rifle will be used for. Since you haven't done that I really can't see how others can give you a scope recommendation unless they are mind readers.

Tough to go wrong with a Leupold. I have both B&L and Leupolds. Personally, I would never buy another B&L.
Old November 8, 2000, 06:32 PM   #8
Nevada Fitch

Well,I am sure a lot of people are getting tired of me slaming Tascos on different message boards.But the fact is they are Junk.I will probably never buy any scope other than a Leupold from now on.I own several.Mid South shooter supplies is the cheapest place to buy good scopes.1-888-SHOOTER Some dealers have very high markups on their scopes. It is always cheeper to buy mail order. Look for good used leupolds at gunshows too.They are guarenteed forever and you dont have to be the original purchaser either.I would rather hunt with a 200 dollar gun and a 300 dollar scope than the other way around.
Old November 9, 2000, 09:40 AM   #9
sear

My opinion of Tasco couldn't be lower. I'd use open sights before I used any sighting device by Tasco.
They may have cleaned up their act since I had my series of bad luck with their .22 scopes, but why risk it? ANYTHING but Tasco.
Old November 10, 2000, 02:25 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Some of those lower end Tascos aren't even made in Japan anymore. Personally, I'd buy Leupold.
Old November 10, 2000, 03:13 PM   #11
Bogie

Some Tascos are okay. Some aren't. Their higher end scopes are pretty good. I've got a Tasco 5-20TR on my .308, and it thus far has worked pretty good. There's a 8-40x56 30mm scope on my .22-250. That rifle shoots in the threes.

That said, I'd go with a Swift. For under $150, you'll have a nice clear and reliable scope.

Weaver also makes some very nice scopes.

Old November 11, 2000, 09:33 PM   #12
ChrisMkIV

I had a tasco 7x zoom on my M1A1 and I loved it, it had the wide eyepiece for easy viewing.

------------------
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law abiding deprived the use of them" --Thomas Paine, 1775

http://come.to/2ndamdlvr
http://go.to/rkbaforums