The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2016, 08:40 PM   #1
saudst

.44 shot shells

Can anyone share Speers .44 mag. Shot shell data for win. 231. I'm haveing no luck finding it. Thank you, Tim.
Old August 7, 2016, 10:27 PM   #2
rg1

Speer 13th Loading Manual:
44 Magnum Shotshell Reloading Data with Win 231 powder only
--Use 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot
--Win 231---7.3 grains-----1133 fps in a 6" barrel
--Use standard primers not magnum
--overall length of loaded round with capsule 1.600"
Apply a very light crimp just enough to keep the capsule from moving. To much crimp and you'll crack the plastic capsule. I highly recommend to not fire a full power 44 magnum load with shot capsules in another chamber. The recoil can easily cause the capsules to slide forward in the case and lock up the cylinder. Pattern is approximately 1" per foot, 6 feet and a 6" pattern for example. I load 7 1/2 shot with good patterns. Not recommended to reduce or raise powder charges with Speer's shotshell capsules. Now for 44 Special cases with Win 231 the charge weight recommended is 6.3 grains for 1045 fps in a 4" barrel. Overall length for 44 Special cases with shot capsules is the same for both Magnum and Special at 1.600".

Last edited by rg1; August 7, 2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old August 8, 2016, 09:22 AM   #3
hounddogman

I've been interested in doing this. Where did you find the capsules is there a wad or paper that go's between the powder and capsule?
Old August 8, 2016, 09:51 AM   #4
849ACSO

There are some good recipes out there for not using the plastic capsule. I tried the capsules, they're too finicky for me. Card over powder, then shot straight into the case, then card over the shot.

I've had great luck with .38 using titegroup, card over powder, 90 ish grains of 9 shot, card over shot, then a dab of elmers glue smeared around in there. Good enough pattern for what I need, but not sure what your intended use is.
Old August 8, 2016, 05:26 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I've been interested in doing this. Where did you find the capsules is there a wad or paper that go's between the powder and capsule?
Most well-stocked reloading suppliers will have the capsules (if available at the time - they're a bit 'seasonal'). If you can't find them locally, most of the big online retailers stock them (again, ...when available).

The capsules are made up of a frangible plastic cup to hold the shot, and a plug to close it off and act as a gas seal. No additional wads are needed.
Google "Speer shot capsules", click the 'images' tab, and you should see dozens of pictures of the capsules.
Old August 9, 2016, 09:06 AM   #6
hounddogman

Thank you
Old August 9, 2016, 11:40 AM   #7
FITASC

Filled with 9s or maybe 11s, they'll work on a snake that can strike you and hit you (meaning, they don't work much past about 6 feet)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2016, 03:08 PM   #8
Salmoneye

I can pop rats and ground squirrels to 15' easily with my loads in .357 and .44 mag...

No shot capsules needed, and I use a mix of #6 and #8 shot taken from cutting open 'promo' loads from the major manufacturers...Two 12ga shells will make up quite a few rounds of handgun ammo...

I use the techniques found here:

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

I tried the capsules and loads on the Speer cartons years ago...My loads without capsules have given me what I consider better center patterns, and less 'doughnut' shape...

I use lower powder charges than the Speer data, and believe that the slower velocity and no capsule impart less spin to the shot charge...
Old August 10, 2016, 09:36 AM   #9
TimSr

I used to use the Speer capsules a lot in 44. Generally, the higher the velocity, the quicker the pattern scatters. Keep them light.

#9 patterns better than #8, which patterns better than #7 from my 7.5" Redhawk. All are devastating on large snakes at 6'-10'.
Old August 10, 2016, 12:21 PM   #10
saudst

Speer shotshells

Thanks all, I like to have the first 2 chambers loaded with these and 9 shot in areas where copperheads may be. I gave my Speer manual to someone just getting into reloading not thinking about needing this info later. Thanks, I wrote it in one of my other manuals so I have it in the future as well. Tim.