The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2017, 05:07 AM   #1
chasep255

Trimming the 43 Mauser.

I have been working on gearing up to reload the 43 Mauser cartridge which is my first kind of "non-standard" round I have ever tried. Last night I thought I had everything I needed so I went ahead and resized all of my cases. After doing so I went to trim. I have the the lyman case trimmer with the power adapter (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/79...-with-9-pilots). The issue here was that I could not easily get the rim of the case to fit under the two holders. I think there are two issues here. First is that it is a really large rim (.586"), and the rim is also raised a bit from the base of the case. Eventually I figured out how I could just get it to slide in if I held one of the spring loaded jaws on the holder all the way back. This was very difficult and it took me and hour and a half just to trim 40 cases. Also I had issues with the cases not being fully gripped and falling out. I have had other issues with this trimmer in the past such as it not fully securing 223 brass. I would be open to replacing it, however I am unsure as to what would fit the 43 Mauser case. Any suggestions? I kind of liked the Hornady trimmer since it uses shell holders until I read that I will need Hornady shell holders (not sure they even have one for the 43 Mauser.)
Old June 10, 2017, 05:12 AM   #2
Nathan

A custom WFT 2 might be the best way to make this work. Cost is reasonable and it datum off shoulder.
Old June 10, 2017, 12:41 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Be kind of surprised if you really need to trim .43 Mausers much or if at all. Certainly not BNIB brass. Check the lengths, absolutely, but you probably don't need to trim.
If it's 2.37" long with a 10 thou or so tolerance you should be fine.

Tags
trimming 43 mauser