The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
seansean1444

any 16 guages made today?

got a new ithaca model 37 in 16ga. got me wonderin if they still even make 16 guage guns anymore? this one is in prestine condition and i plan on keeping it for a long time (im 18). hope ammo doesnt get to rare tho haha
Old January 4, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
oneounceload

Many of the better side by side makers make 16 gauge guns
CSMC, AyA, Arrietta, among many others
Old January 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
seansean1444

o ok i wasnt sure. dont really pay attention to those real high end guns.. i actually live in ithaca ny so i had to jump on this gun.. they just knocked down the old ithaca factory here a couple years ago
Old January 4, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
mpd61

16 gauge is good to go!

Arguably a 16 gauge can adequately cover any hunting situation. Waterfowl & turkey were falling cleanly to high brass 16 loads years before 3" magnum 12 gauge hit the market. Slugs and buckshot loads are plentiful for deer. Plenty of ammo still being made by everybody! Many experts claim the 16 gauge is the perfect upland gauge when carried in a gauge-scaled gun. Browning makes the BPS in three 16 ga versions that can be had for around $500. Stoeger Condor is an entry O/U for $349-399.
CZ makes S/S and O/U's of good quality for a few bucks more.

Bottom line: I don't need a 20 or 12 gauge with a decent 16 in the gun cabinet.
Old January 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #5
eeksplee

Browning makes a 16 gauge version of the BPS if Im not mistaking
Old January 4, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
seansean1444

seems like the 16 isnt a very popular round but those who do like them typically love it. ill have 2 see where i fall after i shoot it. i have a soft spot for these older guns (model 37). wonder of the stories it could tell if it could talk haha
Old January 5, 2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

16 gauge seems to be undergoing something of a minor renaissance. Back in the 1990s it was very difficult to find ammo for them, and I don't believe there were any 16 gauge guns in production.

Now, though, I'm finding 16 gauge ammo at places where I never would have found it before (same with 28 gauge), and am seeing more of it at gunshows.

Seansean,

How old is your Ithaca? Is it one of the earlier ones with the "corn cob" forearm?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

Ithaca uses a smaller frame for the 16/20 gauges, this makes for a lighter smaller gun. As for hunting you won't find a better upland game gun, carry it all day with no problems.
If your worried about parts, the Ithaca gun Co is in Upper Sandusky Ohio now. They build the Model 37 just like they did in the old days except on new modern CNC machines now. And all parts are there if you should need them.

The Model 37 is a great gun and they have lasted for generations and will keep going on.
Old January 5, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
jrothWA

Welcome, Seansean,

Is your 37 a new made or lightly used?

Is the SN located on the right receiver side above trigger?

Is it over 855,000?

If yes, then no problems, BUT is the SN is on the right front face edge of receiver THEN check the barrel about the 5 o'clock position to sse if there is a matching SN. IF NOT the same, then get the headspace checked, as the pre-855,000 had the barrel and receiver mated specifically together.

Current made barrels from the Ohio manufacturer need to be mated by them, go to their website for contact and information.

Older Ithaca NY & Kings Ferry, NY made barrel will interchange with the POST-855,000 receivers.

All you need now is a "deerslayer" barrel.

Enjoy it. Recommend another website, dedicated to the 16: www.16ga.com
Old January 5, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
BigJimP

16ga has never gone away ....and for the last 30yrs ...Browning has offered a 16ga in their BPS Hunter ....and most years it was available in their O/U Citori line like the Lightning ..or what you might consider their typical field gun configurations ...and it was always built on the 20ga receiver ( and so were the 28ga and the .410 for the most part ).

Other than Nostalgia ...prior to having screw in chokes in shotguns / and when there wasn't much variety in commercial shells in 12ga or 20ga ( or at least not the variety of loads we have today in 12ga and 20ga ) like in the 1950's thru the 1960's ....the 16ga had a niche ( with a 1oz load ) in the field. Before screw in chokes - we all had "waterfowl guns", "Grouse guns", "Pheasant guns" , etc ...that were longer or shorter barrels, lighter or heavier guns, Full or Modified fixed chokes, etc....so the 16ga with a Mod choke in 1oz loads had its place. My first shotgun was a 16ga Bolt action with a Mod choke - when I was about 10 yrs old / and I still have it

These days with screw in chokes ...its easy to change a gun to a Mod, or a Full, or an open cyclinder....and in 20ga its easy to find 1 oz loads ....and its easy to find 1oz loads in a 12ga too....so the 16ga kind of gets squeezed out ....where you can do more with a 12ga today than you used to ...load it heavy or light like a 16ga or even a 20ga ....or a 20ga load it heavy or light like a 12ga or a 28ga.

The issue of the size of the receivers - is certainly an issue in field guns ...where guys want lighter guns to carry ...and a 12ga may be too heavy ...and sometimes a 16ga was made on a 12ga receiver or today, its often made on a 20ga receiver..../ so yes, there is some nostalgia for the old - lively swinging 16ga's ...but today, in my opinion, they get left out where a 12ga or a 20ga are just better buys ...and the ammo has come down in price for the 16ga ...but I doubt it'll ever be less expensive than 12ga or 20ga. But you still have options out there - to buy a new 16 ga ....BPS sells new in my area for around $600 and you can get a BPS in either 26" or 28" barrel ...2 3/4" chamber.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...2&tid=211&bg=x
Old January 5, 2012, 01:12 PM   #11
zippy13

16ga has never gone away…
Yes, my friend, but it sure gave it a try. Years ago I was looking high and low in small town hardware stores and guns shops for a model 12. I just might find someone with a pigeon grade who wasn't aware of its value. I recall telephoning one store and being told they had a lot of model 12s. Yep, they had a barrel full of them, all 16-ga guns.

When non-toxic shot was first mandated, shooters found grandpa's old 16-ga and the new steel shot a poor combination. Tons of 16-ga guns were traded in on new, steel shot shooting, 12-ga guns. The 16-ga was almost legislated into obsolescence.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:02 PM   #12
BigJimP

Oh sure Zippy, I agree...

There was a time, when you couldn't give away a 16ga ...and I still see quite a few of the old 16ga model 12's etc in pawn shops, used gun stores, etc...( nothing in pigeon grade that would be attractive to a discerning gentleman like yourself ... though ) ....

In my favorite local used gun shop about 3 wks ago ...a distinguished lady in her 80's came in with her daughter ...to sell her husbands guns ( he'd passed away ) and had pre-arranged for the shop to take them on consignment. I was just standing around - and went out to their car to help bring them in ....and there were at least a dozen model 12's wrapped in an old army blanket ( and at least 2 or 3 were in 16ga) - inside an old cardboard box. It was kind of fun to see the old collection ...but not a single thing in there worth more than a few hundred bucks.....but by her accounts / he loved them all - and had a lot of fun with them. I think we brought in about 60 guns ...handguns, shotguns, some rifles...all heavily used ...and I didn't look that close ...nothing special in there / but I wasn't surprised to see some 16ga's in there.

The last box of 16ga ammo I bought was probably 10 yrs ago ...but it was about $ 16 for a box of 25 - for some field loads ...thought I was going to have a heart attack !!

I don't really see anyone bringing the popularity of the 16 ga back anytime soon.
Old January 5, 2012, 02:37 PM   #13
zippy13

I don't really see anyone bringing the popularity of the 16 ga back anytime soon.
The once uncommon 28-ga is probably more popular than the 16-ga these days. With hot 20-ga loads and light 12-ga loads the 16-ga's exclusive 1-oz realm has been eliminated. Except for nostalgia, why a 16-ga?
Old January 5, 2012, 02:57 PM   #14
oneounceload

Because the 16 loads will pattern better than those hot 20 gauge loads and the guns will weigh the same - and then you can go heavier without sacrificing weight
Old January 5, 2012, 05:27 PM   #15
mpd61

What oneouce said +1

And 16 gauge 1 1/4 ounce "magnums" will do anything a 3" 20 gauge will do!
Old January 5, 2012, 07:12 PM   #16
seansean1444

yes it does have a corncob foreend
Old January 7, 2012, 10:45 AM   #17
SWAMPUS

16 AMMO

Sean-congrats on your Ithaca.FYI check web and find site by old Ithaca worker in Ithaca who does repairs.The above posts are right on mfg'ers.Go to 16ga,society forum to meet some real 16ga nuts.They will answer ANY ? about your Mod 37.IMO the 37 is the best made pump going.Am looking for a 16ga and 28ga now.Walmart has 16 shells -target $7.85,Game load-$12.85.Just got some.There are some sweet` old sxs's available.Just have to find them.P'd up NID for $375 and mule-ear Riverside for same.Found old 11-48 at pawn shop -$175.All good shooters.If lotto comes my way a Model 37 28ga will join the family.
Old January 7, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
jaguarxk120

swampus you mean www.diamondgunsmithing.com , they specialize in repairing any Ithaca shotgun. From the reports I've read the work is first class in every way.

If you go on to www.shotgunworld.com the Ithaca forum has a sticky with the full takedown instructions (the last screw,pin,part, ect.).
Old January 7, 2012, 08:11 PM   #19
SWAMPUS

Right

Thanks,Jag.Memory gets shorter as time to go approaches.Diamond is even in his hometown.It's a good site as he also has serial nos.for all Ithacas.Checked my 3 to date of mfg'er.