The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 3, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
bertwalker

Colt Challenger assembly

I inherited a Colt Challenger from my dad. I took it out to plink last weekend and there were lots of misfires (no fires) and jams. I realized the action was sticky so I decided to take it completely apart and clean it. I gathered my schematics and instructions and set to work. It looked like nothing but the bore had been cleaned in 50 years. That was definitely the problem. The slide is very smooth now. So, I got it all cleaned up and put it back together but I have obviously done something wrong as there is no action on the trigger. Pulling the slide back should (used to) cock the gun and set the trigger forward. This does not happen. When I pull the slide back the trigger remains in the fired position. Everything else seems to be working correctly expect for this one (very important) thing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may have done wrong and how I could fix it? Any help is appreciated.
Old November 3, 2009, 07:54 PM   #2
HammerBite

Did you reinstall the disconnector-spring correctly?
Old November 3, 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
bertwalker

I have the document "Colt Challenger Automatic Pistol Caliber .22" and on page 4 it lists the "Component Parts For Challenger Pistol," along with drawings of the various parts. I do not see anything listed as a disconnector spring. When I put the pistol back together I did not have any parts left over so the disconnector spring must be there, I just can't identify it. Would Colt have called it something else?
Old November 3, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, does the slide have spring tension? If not, then you need to remove the slide and push the spring forward and trap it using the button on top of the slide.

If the slide is OK but the hammer doesn't cock, it is likely that you did not get the hammer strut into the mainspring housing correctly. Remove the housing and make sure the hammer strut is in place. Then pull the trigger and push the hammer forward. Then let the strut come back and install the housing. You should be able to feel the tension on the housing as the strut pushes down onto the spring cap.

Jim
Old November 4, 2009, 04:39 AM   #5
HammerBite

You have my Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwalker
I have the document "Colt Challenger Automatic Pistol Caliber .22" and on page 4 it lists the "Component Parts For Challenger Pistol," along with drawings of the various parts. I do not see anything listed as a disconnector spring.
You said Colt Challenger, I was talking about a Browning Challenger.

I hate it when that happens!

Last edited by HammerBite; November 4, 2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old November 4, 2009, 06:54 AM   #6
HammerBite

Content deleted.

Last edited by HammerBite; November 4, 2009 at 07:12 AM.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
bertwalker

--

Last edited by bertwalker; November 4, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:41 AM   #8
bertwalker

No problem HammerBite. Jim, thanks for your help. The slide works fine. I did as you instructed and made sure the hammer strut was seated correctly on the mainspring cap. I got the gun to fire one time by manually pushing the trigger bar up where I can see it just forward of the safety lock. I cannot get it to repeat that and now I cannot disassemble the mainspring housing because of the tension on the mainspring by the hammer strut because the trigger will not fire the gun and relieve the tension. Now I'm really in a pickle. It seems like the trigger bar is not getting positioned correctly with the sear/hammer assembly. Any ideas?
Old November 4, 2009, 11:18 AM   #9
bertwalker

Update. I can get the hammer to release if I push on the bottom of the sear so the mainspring, hammer, hammer strut and sear mechanism seem to be working. The problem seems to be that the trigger bar will not release the sear. Also when the gun is cocked the trigger is not pushed forward. I can move the trigger freely back and forth whether the gun is cocked or not.
Old November 4, 2009, 01:52 PM   #10
HammerBite

Does your slide lock back when opened over an empty magazine?
Old November 4, 2009, 08:15 PM   #11
bertwalker

No. It will only lock back if I use the safety lock in the notch provided after pulling the slide back.
Old November 5, 2009, 03:58 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, the Challenger does not have an automatic (empty mag) slide lock back.

What you describe sounds like you haven't gotten the front pin of the trigger bar engaged with the trigger spring. That is the little moustrap spring inside the trigger. One end bears on the frame and the other on the flat spot on the trigger bar stud that goes in the hole.

There is a trick involved in getting it all back together. First, remove the trigger and trigger bar. Make sure you don't lose the little spring that is inside the top of the trigger. Now make a loose fit pin to fit into the lower hole in the trigger, that will be just as wide as the trigger, but no wider (this is called a slave pin (or for the politically correct, a helper pin). Put in the spring and insert the slave pin through the loop in the spring. Now, using a small screw driver, push the top limb of the spring forward and insert the trigger bar stud. Make sure the trigger bar works right and has tension.

Now, insert the trigger and trigger bar into the frame, pushing the lower trigger spring limb back so it will bear on the frame and provide forward tension to the trigger. Make sure the rear of the trigger bar engages the sear. As you push the trigger into the frame, the trigger pin will push out the slave pin without releasing the spring. Check to make sure things work and then finish reassembling the pistol.

Jim
Old November 6, 2009, 06:00 PM   #13
bertwalker

Jim,
You were right. I did not have the trigger spring engaged. Your instructions were right on the money. Thank you so much for your help. But, once I got the trigger working I still could not get it to release the hammer. So, out of frustration, I took the whole gun back apart again. I noticed that the hammer strut had a slight curve to it so I decided, what the heck, let's reverse it. I put the gun back together and it now works perfectly. Who knew such a tiny little thing could cause the gun to totally malfunction? I hope this helps any future readers who are Challenger owners. Again, Jim, your help was outstanding. I could not have done it with you.
Bert
Old November 8, 2009, 12:20 AM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I wore my fingers down a bit with that long post, but am very glad to have been of help.

Jim
Old August 20, 2011, 02:03 AM   #15
rlkopf

colt challenger

i beg to differ,i have a 1950 colt challenger pistol according to the colt serial number finder,and the slide DOES lock back when its empty.so figure that one out.thanks Rick

Tags
assembly help , challenger , colt .22