The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Servo77

Burris Euro Diamond vs. Zeiss Conquest

I am thinking of upgrading the current scope (Fullfield II) on my Icon to something more "respectable" . I am looking at the Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 or the Burris euro diamond (closeout) 3-10x40. I have several fullfield II's and generally like Burris and with the closeouts I can get the euro diamond for the same $$$ as the Zeiss. The burris has a 30mm tube (Zeiss 1") and weights about 1 oz more.

Which would you recommend and why? Unfortunately no one in the area stocks these types of scopes so I cannot go look at them in person.

Last edited by Servo77; March 26, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old March 26, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
silvrjeepr

The last zeiss that I used spoiled me. It was so clear that I now continually wipe the lenses of my Simmons and Leupold vxII scopes. I highly recommend the Zeiss.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:21 PM   #3
woodguru

All Zeiss scopes are not equal, the conquests aren't that much different than a Leupold or Nikon Monarch, IMO the Black Diamond is a better scope. You have to get the higher end Zeiss to get a difference and that will cost you a grand more. Look at the high end Vortex and they are way better than the Conquests.
Old March 26, 2011, 06:59 PM   #4
big al hunter

Burris all the way. I have them on some of my guns and love them as I am sure you do. The biggest reason I have for the burris is the tube diameter. The 30 mm will let more light pass through it giving you a brighter image in low light hunting situations. Hurry before it sells out!
Old March 26, 2011, 07:02 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

Tube diameter has NOTHING to do with the amount of light passing through a scope, it's strictly a function of objective diameter.
That said, I own both Zeiss Conquest and Diavary etc., and I agree, the "stunning" optical quality of the Diavary is lost with the Conquest series. High grade scopes, but comparable to high grade Leupold etc.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Wildalaska

Burris should not even be mentioned in the same sentence with Zeiss

WildlongtimeburrisphobeAlaska ™©2002-2011

Last edited by Wildalaska; March 26, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old March 26, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Fusion

Quote:
Tube diameter has NOTHING to do with the amount of light passing through a scope
I was going to tell him this also after seeing the post claiming it did, but I see someone already beat me to it. Tube diameter doesn't make any difference in light transmission.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:24 PM   #8
big al hunter

PLEASE explain to me how a smaller tube diameter will let the SAME amount of light through it. Physics tells us that more of anything will travel through a larger pipe. The same holds true with light. The objective diameter will control the amount of light entering a scope tube but the diameter of the tube can only allow so much light to pass. In fact there is no reason to have a 1 inch tube and a 50 mm objective as the amount of light that will pass through the tube will only be equivelent to that from a 42mm objective. In order to get any more light transmission you MUST have a 30mm tube for a 50mm objective. Glass coatings are the only other way to control the amount of light that will be efficiently passed through a scope tube.
Old March 27, 2011, 08:05 AM   #9
jmr40

The Zeiss Conquest is not as good as the Divari line, but still a lot better than the Burris.

I honestly don't know how much a 30mm tube effects light compared to a 1" tube. I'd like to see some documentation to prove this one way or another however.
Old March 27, 2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Servo77

How durable is the Conquest? I have always enjoyed my Burris scopes because I have experience banging them around with no loss of zero.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Fullboar

Go the Zeiss Conquest,
IMHO the best value scope on the market without spending at least a $1000.
The difference in size (around 5mm) of the tube wont mean that it will be anymore brighter between the 1" and 30mm. For those that say it does cut a 12" long piece of pvc pipe in 1" and 30mm and look through it, see no difference. Quality of the glass as well as what it is coated with has more to do with it. Besides whats better a 1" tubed scope with great glass or a 30mm tubed scope with crap glass?
Old March 27, 2011, 01:29 PM   #12
big al hunter

I believe if we are going to compare scope brands fairly both scopes should be from the same market range ie; low end, mid grade, top notch for each brand. I have heard many good things about bushnell elite and other high end bushnell products but my experience with bushnell has not been good or even acceptable. If the Burris model is usually more expensive than the ziess model and has better specs. the only way I could decide is to look through both at the same time so as to compare the glass and features of each. I would venture that top end Burris could out perform mid grade of any manufacture in field testing. That said I would say that all things being equall in the specs and glass get the one with the better warranty. All scopes are made by man and therefore are occasionally going to have problems regardless of brand. REMEMBER YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!