The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2000, 03:05 PM   #1
Stretch

I wear glasses and hate to wear ear muffs, but want maximum haering protection. What are the best alternatives available?Right now I use the Silencio gel ear plugs, is there anything better?
Old February 16, 2000, 04:17 PM   #2
Ozzie

Hmmm...I wear earmuffs but hate wearing glasses. I just started shooting a .50 Desert Eagle though, and I'm trying to find glasses that are good.

What don't you like about earmuffs?
Old February 16, 2000, 04:44 PM   #3
Stretch

I 'have' to wear glasses; often ear muffs press against the temples of my glasses making the combination very uncomfortable.
Old February 16, 2000, 06:25 PM   #4
mongrel66

the roll up spongy type are the best besides muffs...on the packaging there should be info on the sound reduction..i seem to remember something about 30 db...give osha a call...they can help you out...i use both roll ups and muffs when i shoot
Old February 16, 2000, 09:27 PM   #5
Banzai

I wear glasses, too. I use Ultra Noise Husher foam ear plugs from the NORTH company. They're the best foamies on the market, at 31db of protection. Available from WalMart or your gun shop for about $1.25 for 6 sets.
However, there is no substitute for double hearing protection. After a while, you'll get used to it. I know that many days on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier I hated it, but after 10 years of constant exposure to the extremes of high noise environments, I can medically say that it will save your hearing.
Buck up, little camper. Your ears are just as important as your eyes, and if maximum hearing protection is as important to you as you claim, just do it!!!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
Old February 17, 2000, 11:26 AM   #6
johnbt

Stretch - I'm 49 and have worn glasses/contacts since the 5th grade and know the problem well. I bought the Peltor 10 muffs (Cabela's, $18.95+shipping) and have been completely satisfied with the way they mold themselves around eyeglass frames. The Peltor 10 muffs work well with contacts and hardware store safety glasses, my single-vision glasses in tortoise shell and my Varilux progressive prescription bifocals in titanium wire rims. These aren't 3mm thick safety glasses(I called the eye doc-must be 3mm to be safety glasses), but at least they are polycarbonate lenses. If you have money to burn get the titanium frames(<$200) - they're extremely light and will remember their original shape when bent, even if you wrap them completely around your finger or sit on them. Having damaged my hearing as a youngster shooting w/o protection, I strongly encourage everyone to use muffs AND plugs.

Banzai - Thanks for rec. on the Ultra Noise Husher.

John
Old February 17, 2000, 03:36 PM   #7
Hydejam

I concur about "doubling up" when and where possible. A message especially to youth and new shooters: Protect your hearing at all costs! I'm 36 years old and spent many a day in the field shooting my .22 and 12 gauge without protection and I now live with a constant ringing, though not totally obnoxious (yet), in my ears.

Also, Walkman/Discman generation beware!