The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2018, 12:06 AM   #1
SmokeyBravo307

Moly coating

I've shot a few moly coated bullets but it was years ago. I'm just curious about the advantages of using it I know it can help with fouling but I personally haven't messed with it. I know there are several different ways to apply it from wet to tumbling or purchasing them coated already . Just wanting some information mainly maybe some pros and cons.
Thanks everyone and happy shooting!!!!
Old May 30, 2018, 12:52 AM   #2
condor bravo

Are you referring to black moly or another type of coating? I've used the black in a variety of rifle calibers but none in handguns. One advantage is lack of smoking over standard bullet lube. Cleaning could be a chore but there is a product for that called Moly Magic. Would recommend buying them direct from Bear Creek Supply at Waterford, CA, tel 209-874-4322. They apparently still do not have a web site to order from but tel orders can be placed easily.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:56 PM   #3
SmokeyBravo307

Yes I was referring to the black moly but I'll definitely check out moly magic if I decide to try it out. Thanks for the reply I was hoping to get a few more options on the subject but I'll take whatever I get!!!
Old May 30, 2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

There is controversy about it. I've never had trouble with it, but I've always used the NECO kits or bought bullets lubed to their specification with acid-neutralized laboratory grade moly. The cheap moly often has free sulfur and sometimes even traces of free iron in it which can initiate corrosion, and that seems to have resulted in complaints about corrosion. There are also complaints that moly builds up lumps, but, again, I think that's due to using cheap moly. There are special bore cleaners for moly build up, too. Bore Techn has a good one.

You definitely can shoot more moly bullets through a barrel before it needs cleaning. It is one way to get through an 80 round match without having to clean in the middle of it. The reduces start pressure means you usually have to add a fraction of a grain of powder to match velocity. Bullets seem to self-center in the bore a bit better with moly, but nothing beats having the ammo concentric in the first place.

Many coated bullet shooters have dropped moly and gone over to the newer hex boron nitride (hBN) coatings in place of moly to avoid the black fingers and the bore accumulation issue.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle