The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Prof Young

Getting to know my Beretta FS 92

Shooters:

So, if I understand the owner's manual, the Beretta FS 92 can have one "in the pipe" and with the safety on and the hammer down, if the gun is dropped it can land right on the hammer and it won't fire. This is due to some sort of two piece firing pin . . . am I understanding this correctly. Not that I plan on dropping it.

Anyway this seems to me that this gun incorporates some of the safety things you'd get from carrying a revolver but even better. I understand more and more why it is a first choice among military and law enforcement.

Do other high quality semi-autos have this kind of safety?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 8, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mr_Jumper

With one in pipe, hammer down and safety on/off, 92FS is basically a DA pistol with firing pin block. Unless trigger is pulled (with safety off), gun will not fire even when dropped on hammer because of this safety.

When you pull the trigger, you'll see small metal piece rising (right near the rear sights). If I understand it correctly, that metal piece is the safety which disengages to let firing pin strike the primer when it rises.

I don't own 92fs (yet), but have been absolute admirer of the pistol for very long time. I have PX4 which works in same way.

One of the safest handguns to carry IMO for both noobs as well as experienced.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Drock

Here's a link to an animated Beretta 92FS. Shows all the moving parts that make it safe and make it fire.
http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Inter...Beretta-Pistol

Dave
Old January 8, 2013, 01:29 PM   #4
AJD21

Essentially all modern semi auto's have what's called a "firing bin block" meaning the gun cannot fire unless the trigger is pulled.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:59 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Yea it's a firing pin block. Plenty of semiautos have it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 8, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
.32acp

As others have said, the firing pin block prevents accidental discharge. Also notice(try this unoalded of course) if you have it cocked and turn on the safety, dropping the hammer and locking the block, you see the pin rotate up and out of the way.

I carry mine chambered and safety on.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
ShipWreck

Military and police departments have done MANY drop checks on 92s over the years. They've been chucked off of high buildings and do not go off. I remember reading articles on this many, many years back. This is not an issue to worry about on the 92.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:37 PM   #8
BerdanSS

as per .32

The first half of the firing pin actually rotates away from the hammed placing it at a 45* angle when the safety is engaged, making it "impossible" the strike the "2nd" half or the firing pin.......firing pin block

It's also allows the de-cocker to function without striking the firing pin.
Old January 10, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
AndyWest

Slight OT warning

I have snap caps for every pistol I own (except 5-7) just so I can work the action, trigger, safety, decocker, everything until I feel comfortable that I fully understand it. The 92FS safety modes are "different", but have advantages.
Old January 10, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Prof Young

Thanks for the info.

Shooters:
Thanks for the info. Really enjoying this pistol.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old January 10, 2013, 05:59 PM   #11
twobit

I've carried the 92 FS on duty for 23 years. It should be carried with a round chambered, hammer NOT cocked, and safety on FIRE. That is the preferred condition of carry. It will not fire until the trigger is pulled through a full double action type of pull making it just as safe as a double action revolver at that point.

Draw from holster and fire first round as a double action trigger pull. All subsequent rounds are single action trigger pulls until you decock it.

The safe operation skill you must learn for this gun is to DECOCK and return the safety to FIRE in one motion of your thumb, BEFORE reholstering.
In other words don't reholster when it is in single action mode.

I still remember the phrases our department firearms instructor barked out to us as we were learning the 92FS, transitioning from our double action revolvers. They were in this order;
1. DRAW
2. FIRE (number of rounds)
3. HOLD (meaning do not lower the weapon)
4. DECOCK
5. HOLSTER

He was very sure we learned the DECOCK so as not to shoot our foot off.

Safe and effective shooting in a life and death situation requires learning muscle memory of the physical moves needed to shoot. It has to be second nature and requires repetition, repetition, repetition.

Last edited by twobit; January 10, 2013 at 06:10 PM.