The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 1, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
ftballgod

looking for info on H&R hunter model .22

my friend owed me some money and since he was low on cash i took this revolver in trade. it is a 7 shot H&R hunter model. it has a 10 inch octagon barrel. it has nice wood grips that look kinda odd but feel good in the hand. it looks to be in pretty good condition. does anyone know anything about these guns? when they were made? how much it is worth etc. thank you
Old February 2, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
glenncal1

Try http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/index.php they have some H&R experts over there that will answer your questions. Post in the "Whats it Worth" forum.

Many K and N Frames
Old February 2, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

There are four recognized versions of the H&R Hunter Model. The first is based upon the Trapper Model which was based upon the H&R Model 1906 small solid frame, 7 shot .22rf revolver,and has a 10" ROUND barrel with "semi Patridge (squared off rear)" type front sight. The 2nd Version has a 10" OCTAGONAL barrel with a half round front sight. Both versions have a milled "gutter" type fixed rear sight. Production of these versions was circa 1926 to 1929. The 3rd Version is based upon the H&R Model 922, large solid frame 9 shot revolver, has a 10" round barrel with 1/2 round front sight blade and raised, milled rear fixed sight - catalogued from circa 1929-1939. The 4th version appears to have been an attempt to use up in-stock, 2nd Ver. marked frames - fitting them with a 2.5" barrels - not many of these are seen in the market. All versions have a polished blue finish and checkered walnut grips - the 1st, 2nd and 4th have two piece panels; the 3rd a one piece stock fitted to the "RICE" type (bird's head shaped) grip frame.
All versions/variations are some what scarce and current retail values run up to around $475 (1st, 2nd) in excellent condition to $195 in fair and $565 (3rd) in excellent to $225 in fair. I don't have pricing on the 4th version (2.5" barrel) as I've never seen one nor seen one sold.

Looks like your piece is a 2nd Version, and depending upon condition and what your friend owed you - may have been a good deal.
Here's a pic of pieces in my collection:
IMG_0386.jpg
Old February 7, 2011, 01:46 PM   #4
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

ftballgod,
Here's hoping you're still monitoring or plan to monitor this thread - and weren't chased off to another forum.
Old February 27, 2011, 07:25 PM   #5
ftballgod

yup. this was the info i was looking for. thanks guys.

Tags
.22 , h&r , hunter model , revolver