The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 26, 2010, 07:47 PM   #76
ZeTurk

I was under the impression that it's illegal to carry in a bar... Does this vary by state?
Old April 26, 2010, 08:28 PM   #77
Double Naught Spy

Yes, it varies by state, though I don't believe it is legal in most.
Old April 26, 2010, 08:51 PM   #78
ncpatriot

I disagree with you guys who insist he must be carrying himself wrong or sending the wrong message. One town where I lived, there were very few bars that didn't have some rowdy characters. No one needed to send "signals" to them, they would pick on whoever was close, whoever was small and weak, the big guy who was a challenge, or someone who wouldn't join their party. I eventually quit going to bars there. Often times, when drinking is the primary activity at a place, trouble follows. It only takes one bad apple to spoil things. This was town full of rowdy rednecks who weren't very civilized when sober and were much worse when drinking.

I'm pretty sure that our friend is not allowed concealed carry in a bar, and if so, not allowed to drink while carrying. I think that part is law in all states, right? I know in my state, your home is the only place you can drink and have a firearm on you. The DA or BG's attorney would have a field day with that, for sure.
Old April 27, 2010, 07:12 AM   #79
jhenry

None of my pastimes require booze or bars. Problem solved.

I hunt, fish a wee bit, attend Lodge, ride my motorcycle, shoot, reload, mess with my old truck, and participate in Scouting with my boys. For some reason no one trys to start fights. Go figure.
Old April 30, 2010, 07:46 AM   #80
johns7022

Slammer - Being the big guy in the room can make some peeps nervous...I am 6' 1" 220...and have been told I am intimidating by some...and by others 'capable'...and others just give me 'respect'....there are levels to this...usualy based on how they perceive you..it's not your fault.

Who cares really......some people walk around in fear all day, and do nothing to mitigate that fear...so some slink off, some mouth off, some confront...it doesn't matter....

In the animal world, a big lion or something in the area, brings up that 'proximity alert' thing in the animals...a big guy like you can make some people just get defensive, others feel they need to 'take you', just so they need to feel they control the room, are the baddest ect.

I joked one time about an ex pro football player colleague, being a 'pretty nice guy' and my friend remarked...'yeah when they are big enough to kill, they get that way'...

In the end if peeps are picking fights with you, it's usualy a combination of who your hanging out with, what your projecting, and to some degree, how much crap your willing to take before you punch them in the gut.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:50 PM   #81
riverwalker76

I have a few words of advice for you .....

Stay out of bars!

If you can honestly name just ONE thing good that comes from being in a bar ... I'll retract my statement.

My younger brother has the exact same problem. He's 6'6" and looks like Steve Austin. He never understands why the cops always give him lip .... the idiots always single him out ... and why he's been the target of one stabbing in the 10 years he's been going to bars.

Stay away ... nothing good has ever come out of a bar. If you're looking for a one night stand I can thing of a few better places to pick them up. (joking)
Old May 3, 2010, 09:00 AM   #82
Mannlicher

no one has ever bothered me in a bar...............

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old May 3, 2010, 10:13 AM   #83
simonkenton

I lived out in Washington state and the same thing happened to me all the time.
I am 6-3 and 230, and I would be the biggest guy in the bar.
All the guys wanted to challenge me to arm wrestle, all the guys wanted to beat the Big Man.
I was working on a farm loading those 95 pound alfalfa hay bales, 12 hours a day.
I was as strong as an ox.
I would wipe out 5 guys in a row, arm wrestling, the sixth guy didn't want any.
I don't like to arm wrestle, and I don't like to fight.

Also, one night, there was a big guy in there, really ratty looking guy. He had said a couple of provocative remarks to me, and I ignored him.
One of my buddies came up and told me to watch out, that big guy had a steak knife in his pocket and was known to use it.
Thank God for my ability to avoid a fight, I could have gotten a steak knife in my belly just because this other guy was being a jerk.

It is just our burden for being big, bad-ass looking guys, I guess.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:18 PM   #84
sonick808

riverwalker: One benefit is finding new friends. As in Friends. And you can meet their friends!
Old May 6, 2010, 02:09 AM   #85
bamaranger

eye contact

There's a definite eye contact, alpha male thing that goes on w/ guys, everywhere, not just bars. Who will look away first? Return the wrong guys gaze long enough and sooner or later you get the "what you looking at" reaction.

The more macho a guy appears, the more willing (seems to me) he is to play this game. Who will blink? Try and stare me down, will ya? Beards, tats and big mouth seem to go along w/ it.

Avoid bars, avoid alcohol serving establishments if one can. They breed idiots.

"Best block, no be there"