The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2010, 01:06 PM   #51
Doodlebugger45

I do understand the logic and reason why a bean counter figured in the cost of the labor. It is a very thorough way to analyze it of course.

But UncleNick summed up my feelings exactly. These days I don't find a lot of things on TV that truly interest me so I would rather spend time at the reloading bench. If there is something on the TV that I want to watch, I typically have some sized/deprimed cases already sitting around that I can prime while watching TV. But, to calculate the cost of my time spent reloading would be like calculating the cost of my time to go to a movie with my wife (actually, THAT is something I SHOULD charge for, given the movies that I've had to watch sometimes), or perhaps the cost of my time to play golf (actually, come to think of it, I would rather reload than play golf too).

I guess it would be different if I was one of those people who shoots 1000+ rounds of semi-auto ammo each week. Then the reloading would seem more like a "chore", merely a tedious task that must be done in the name of enjoying the true fun. But, I'm not in that category. I might load up 40-50 rounds for my .480 or .454. Or maybe 100 rounds of .357 or .45 Colt. A big evening of rifle cartridges might consist of 20-30 rounds of 7 mm or .270 WSM to try out a new powder/bullet combo. So, I guess I'm more of a tinkerer rather than a quantity-based reloader and I find it extremely enjoyable to crank out my own ammo.
Old August 18, 2010, 10:21 PM   #52
Wrangler5

It seems to me that unless you were going to be engaged in money making activity instead of reloading, you can't really say your reloading time "costs" you something. You probably don't consider the "cost" of any other leisure time activities you engage in - reading, working out, watching TV, babysitting the grandkids, etc. etc. etc. - nor do you probably consider the "cost" of engaging in one of those activities as compared to another (i.e., is it more "expensive" to read a newspaper or watch TV). So why raise the issue of "cost" in the context of reloading?
Old August 18, 2010, 10:35 PM   #53
Rampant_Colt

To me, reloading falls into the "hobby" category, and labor costs aren't factored in..

* Lots of decent deals on eBay for reloading components to get you started

* The key to handloading savings is buying in bulk
Old August 19, 2010, 01:12 AM   #54
Blacklabelz

Hell, I don't know about you guys, but I don't "save" crap by reloading. I just shoot twice as much as I normally would be able to.

On another note..

1) Don't factor in "labor" costs. Reloading is something you should do in your free time instead of watching TV, surfing the internet, etc.

2) I don't look at the initial buying of all my equipment as a "loss." I know in the back of my mind, if I ever come across hard times, I can sell it all to you guys for 70-90% of what I bought it for originally.
Old August 19, 2010, 07:34 AM   #55
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler5
It seems to me that unless you were going to be engaged in money making activity instead of reloading, you can't really say your reloading time "costs" you something.
That is the key principle. Cost accounting includes "opportunity loss". If your time could have/should have been spent earning money, an estimate of that loss of income is part of the cost. I believe reloading would normally be thought of as a spare time activity, and one would not likely be earning money as an alternative to reloading time.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:24 AM   #56
winkytink

Quote:
I believe the math says you have to use brass that didn't cost anything. Probably the best example is 9 mm. I am going to a sale today where CCI Brass Blazer 115gr FMJ is available for $10 a box (50), limit 10.
If you don't mind using someone else's leavings, there are several places on line that sell once fired brass for around $30 per 1000. Just google "once fired brass".
Old August 19, 2010, 01:29 PM   #57
Real Gun

Quote:
If you don't mind using someone else's leavings, there are several places on line that sell once fired brass for around $30 per 1000. Just google "once fired brass".
I took the challenge and after over an hour and 10 pages of search results I found three, not several, out of 33 offerings that were in stock or appeared to be. The average rate is quite a bit higher, and the term "once-fired" is used very loosely. Few are strictly from leo and military ranges, where reloads are unlikely, and brass is truly once-fired. There seems to be some room here for a little consumer protection activity. Integrity is clearly lacking in the used brass market.

1000 pieces of 9mm brass

leobrass.com - 20.00 special
kbarcartridge.com - 30.00
rvow.com - 15.00

Most is WCC with crimped primer pockets

Another pricing comparison challenge is that some brass offered is not only cleaned and polished but has reamed primer pockets. One could pay more and be better off for it. Thus there are others that deserve to be mentioned by comparison, but their net price is higher than $30.