The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2024, 03:02 AM   #26
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
You should check out the CZ P01, Ruger SP101 and GP100.
The SP101 was actually the one revolver that I was shown the first trip to the gun store. And honestly the first revolver I've held that actually felt comfortable. Was a very nice gun no doubt.
Old May 22, 2024, 06:11 AM   #27
mehavey

Two guns... in order:

- Smith & Wesson M&P 22
Introduces you to the whole concept of handguns & automatics, with a cartridge that allows low-stress building of discipline.

- SIG M17
9mm, ease of maintenance, reliable, full-size handling, the Army's choice for all-round use & effectiveness.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:55 AM   #28
stephen426

Hey Hoss,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here, but also lots of differing opinions. I will share my opinion and the reasons behind them.

Size: If your primary use is home defense and having in the car, you can go with a larger gun as you have noted. A bigger gun is easier to shoot as there is more gun to hold on to. the recoil forces will be spread out more and you can get a good, firm two-handed grip on the gun. I'd say a "compact size" makes a lot of sense as it is more versatile than a full size. Compact guns are around Glock 19 or Sig P229 size, and can be used for concealed carry if you choose to do so later on. Full sized guns, like Glock 17 or Sig P226 are harder to conceal carry

Trigger Type: You mentioned guns with three different trigger types. The Hellcat Pro and Canik are striker fired guns (like Glock) and pulling the trigger fully cocks the partially cocked striker and releases it. The trigger pull is consistent from shot to shot, but most don't have manual safeties. The most important safety is between your ears (your brain), so that should not be an issue. A manual safety is something that you may forget to disengage when the poop hits the fan and your adrenaline dumps.

The Sig P229/P226 and Beretta 92 type guns are double action/single action (typically abbreviated as DA/SA or referred to as crunch tickers). The Beretta has a manual safety that also acts as a decocker. The first shot is long and heavy as it cocks the hammer back for the first pull. Each subsequent pull is short and light until the gun is decocked (hammer is lowered without firing a round). The Sig P228 was my first gun. While they are great guns, I don't recommend DA/SA guns and won't carry one. The long and heavy trigger pulls is supposed to act as a safety, but it makes it harder to be fast and accurate with the first shot. Some will say it just takes practice, but a consistent shot to shot trigger is better in my opinion.

The last trigger type you mentioned was a 1911. In my opinion, 1911s are not great beginner's guns. The trigger is a single action only (trypically abbreviated as SAO) and only works if the trigger is cocked back. The trigger pull is usually fairly short and light with 1911s. While this is great for the range, it probably isn't ideal for newer shooters in a home defense scenario. 1911s tend to need more maintenance than polymer striker fired guns and they need to be well lubricated to run reliably. Many polymer striker-fired guns will go thousands of rounds between cleanings without so much as a hiccup.

Optic: Optics have become extremely popular and I believe I have optics mounted on my carry gun. You should learn to shoot with iron sights just in case your optic goes down, but optics make aiming more precise and faster in my opinion. With iron sights, you focus on the front sight and align the rear sight so the front sight is centered and level with the rear sight. The focus is on the front sight rather than the target. While people can be very accurate with iron sights, simply super imposing a red dot over the target is much easier. You can clearly see the target and your focus is on the target. I had concerns with reliability and the whole "Murphy's Law" argument, but Holosun makes optics with solar panels on top, which eliminates the battery concern. Again, you should learn to use irons, but those are now a back up for me. I shoot a lot and dry-fire often, so I check my optic frequently.

Caliber: The FBI and most police agencies have gone back to the 9mm. It is an effective round with good ammo and good shot placement. Recoil is mild and ammo is cheaper than other center-fire ammo and usually easy to find. The smaller size means more rounds fit in the magazine compared to larger calibers.

I know that I have thrown a ton of information in one post. If I had to consolidate it down to short recommendation, I'd suggest a compact striker fired gun with a polymer frame with an optic cut and no manual safety. Guns that fit in this category include the Glock 19, Sig P320 (carry size), Springfield Armory XDM Elite, Heckler & Kock VP9 Compact, Walther PDP Compact, CZ P10C, and others.

Based on what I have and what I have shot, I really like the Springfield Armory XDM Elite. It has a GREAT trigger and the added benefit of a grip safety in addition to the trigger. They are discontinued and being replaced bySpringfield Armory's version of the Sig P320, the Echelon. While the Echelon is a great gun, there isn't that many accessories out for it yet.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/282121

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handgu...m_medium=df_NA

The first link is for the compact which holds 14+1. The grip is slightly smaller but it is cut for an optic and in 9mm. Hope this helps!
Old May 22, 2024, 09:06 AM   #29
rc

Let me sway you away from the striker fired guns like Glock, M&P, Sig and other similar actions. The big negative for a newbie is they are prone to accidental discharge by people who are not well trained. The Sig's have had drop firing issues, the Glocks accidentally going off when put in a holster. A good hammer fired auto or traditional double/single action revolver is the way to go for a newbie who is not as proficient in gun handling. I would suggest you look at the used market for 3rd generation smith and wesson autos. They are going to be safer than a glock, very reliable and there are going to be a lot of ex LE guns out there in 9 and 40. Some may be rough on the exterior so you'll have to shop around to find a good one but the design is solid. The sig 226 and 228 are also good guns. Some guns have hammer drop only and some will have a safe position. The CZ I mentioned is hammer drop only so you can decock it with the press of a lever back to double action but you don't have to worry about forgetting a safety on. CZ's are very reliable and more accurate that most autos on the market. The Ruger SP101 series is robust with a long track record and you can get a hogue grip that makes them feel more comfortable. For the same reason I don't recommend striker fired guns I would steer you away from a single action auto like colt 1911 as your first gun. Those are great guns too but not carried cocked and locked for a newbie. For a house gun where the chamber is kept empty with a loaded magazine for an emergency a 1911 or any striker fired design is a great gun but for a newbie who wants to carry, it would not be my first choice. You have had the suggestion of some 22 pistols and for training they are great. Something to consider for sure but not really a defensive caliber.
Old May 22, 2024, 09:08 AM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search, Hoss632! I've called this a golden age of carry guns, because there seem to be a metric ton of good pistols out there, for concealed carry, car carry, home defense, etc. Getting out to handle them was a good first start. We can sit and post the statistics all day, whether This One is a smidge wider than That One, or carries an extra round, but there's really no substitute for getting one's paws on a gun. More importantly, see if you can get out and rent or test fire a few. How a pistol feels in your hand is not a 100% accurate measure of whether you will like it under recoil. I remember anticipating the release of the G48. I thought it would be the perfect carry gun for me, and I'd been carrying for several years by then. Then I shot one. That went something like this:

Picks gun up: Oooh, that's nice.
Shoots gun: Blam, blam, blam
Returns gun: Nope.

As to the specifics of guns and optics, it looks like my fellow TFL members have that part well in hand.

Again, welcome!
Old May 22, 2024, 11:10 AM   #31
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss632 View Post
Greetings everyone! So the time has finally come in my life where I will be getting my first pistol for home defense. Not so much looking to carry though it may ride in the car with me. So size wise that compact range around 4inch barrel on up to full size is where I've focused. I've got family members and friends that have several guns that I'll be going to the range to try out with them soon. Several Taurus models, Glocks, M&P, and a couple of Sig (P226,229). Went in this past week to a local gun store, spoke with a gentlemen who was great. Got to hold guns that none of my friends/family have. Hellcat pro, Canik (I believe it was a tpsf9), Walther PDP F model, and a Tisas 1911 45 ACP.

So I've at least had the change to hold several firearms in my hands to get an idea of what at least feels comfortable. Shooting will definitely further help. All this to say I have a couple of questions.

1. Is having an optic/red dot sight on my first gun a good idea? For me it feels more natural aiming wise.

2. If I didn't go the route of something like a Hellcat pro (striker fires) is a 1911 a good first gun? I've always loved how they look and holding the Tisas felt surprisingly comfortable.
Depending on the state you are in, having a loaded pistol in a car without CCW license may not be kosher. Just be careful.

For home defense only, size and weight may not be as important. One suggestion is to have the same make and model as your local policeman's service pistol. If it good enough for them, most likely it would be good enough for you. It would be your starting point.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2024, 11:36 AM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The most important safety is between your ears (your brain), so that should not be an issue. A manual safety is something that you may forget to disengage when the poop hits the fan and your adrenaline dumps.
While this is true, its only telling you one side of the story. The other side of that coin is that a manual safety is something that may save your life, or the life of someone else.

Personally, I think the idea that having a safety on a pistol, and using it, puts one at risk because you may "forget" to take it off is overhyped nonsense.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, and if the idea of "forgetting" a safety concerns you, either don't use the safety or get a gun that doesn't have a manual safety, like ...a revolver...
Old May 22, 2024, 12:05 PM   #33
wild cat mccane

You did say something that might need some thought. Might ride with you but not carry. That means it's left in the car. Having had a gun stolen out of car, and that's probably the #1 item someone breaks in to a car for...Mine was used in a violent crime.

Think on that just as much as you are thinking on options.

Ruger, Taurus, Kimber, and Diamond Back are the only semi autos on the market that caution is needed. Other than that, it's unluck of the draw that you get a problem gun.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:19 PM   #34
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
You did say something that might need some thought. Might ride with you but not carry. That means it's left in the car. Having had a gun stolen out of car, and that's probably the #1 item someone breaks in to a car for...Mine was used in a violent crime.

Think on that just as much as you are thinking on options.

Ruger, Taurus, Kimber, and Diamond Back are the only semi autos on the market that caution is needed. Other than that, it's unluck of the draw that you get a problem gun.
I feel dumb for not having thought of the gun being taken from the car. Thank you for mentioning it. Making a mental note for sure.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:20 PM   #35
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Depending on the state you are in, having a loaded pistol in a car without CCW license may not be kosher. Just be careful.

For home defense only, size and weight may not be as important. One suggestion is to have the same make and model as your local policeman's service pistol. If it good enough for them, most likely it would be good enough for you. It would be your starting point.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I live in Texas and if I'm understanding the law correctly as long as the gun is in the car under my control I can carry it in there. If I were to lend the vehicle to someone I would have to remove it before hand.

Last edited by Hoss632; May 22, 2024 at 08:29 PM.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:21 PM   #36
Nathan

I think actual street value on a full size m&p would be $580-$630 new on the street.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:30 PM   #37
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think actual street value on a full size m&p would be $580-$630 new on the street.
I've been looking at full size guns since it's been widely suggested in this thread that sounds about right. 580 on up depending on how many bells and whistles I want.

Last edited by Hoss632; May 22, 2024 at 08:35 PM.
Old May 22, 2024, 08:42 PM   #38
mehavey

Quote:
I've been looking at full size guns ...
I'm going to again suggest you looking hard at the SIG M-17.
There's a reason* it was picked by the Army as best all-round for issue to the troops.

* actually, a lot of them
https://freerangeamerican.us/m17-pistol/
https://www.dote.osd.mil/Portals/97/...my/2018mhs.pdf
Old May 22, 2024, 09:01 PM   #39
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
There's a reason* it was picked by the Army as best all-round for issue to the troops.

Are you suggesting the M-17 specifically, or also including any of the full size P320 line?
Old May 22, 2024, 09:20 PM   #40
mehavey

The M-17 is the 320 variant tailored to the Army requirements.
https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/b...-p320-and-m17/

Add'l note: for some reason the M17 slide racking force is "perceptionally" easier'
(although that may purely be my imagination between the two )
Old May 22, 2024, 09:25 PM   #41
Hoss632

Quote:
The M-17 is the 320 variant tailored to the Army requirements.
https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/b...-p320-and-m17/

Add'l note: for some reason the M17 slide racking force is "perceptionally" easier'
(although that may purely be my imagination between the two )
Got it. Thanks so much for the link. Reading it now.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:07 PM   #42
PatientWolf

A lot of goos suggestions here. I didn’t notice if you had a budget in mind, but some I think would be good first pistols include:
Heckler and Koch P30 (hammer fired 9mm)
CZ P07 (hammer fired 9mm)
Canik TP9SFX (striker fired 9mm)
Ruger SP101 (.37/.357 revolver)
Ruger GP100 (.38/.357 revolver)
Old May 22, 2024, 10:40 PM   #43
Hoss632

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
A lot of goos suggestions here. I didn’t notice if you had a budget in mind, but some I think would be good first pistols include:
Heckler and Koch P30 (hammer fired 9mm)
CZ P07 (hammer fired 9mm)
Canik TP9SFX (striker fired 9mm)
Ruger SP101 (.37/.357 revolver)
Ruger GP100 (.38/.357 revolver)
I don't have a specific budget in mind other than if I can keep it under 800 that would be preferable. Which diving in and looking around I had no clue that there were so many really good quality guns available. Almost every gun suggested so far can easily be had in that range and I can customize it down the road, or add things like optic/red dot sight when I'm ready. I have not yet had a chance to see a CZ in person, but I have seen the Canik mete TP9SFX and the Ruger SP101 and at least held them. It's just a matter of finding a range that has these guns and trying them out to see which one just works best for me. If I were to give a list on what I'd like to try the most based on all the suggestions it'd be these in no particular order:
1. Ruger SP101 if I went the revolver route
2. Canik Full size Mete TP9
3. Full Size M&P 2.0
4. Springfield Echelon
5. Sig M17
6. Glock 17
7. Walther PDP
Old May 23, 2024, 12:09 AM   #44
TunnelRat

Looking To get My First Pistol

Quote:

The MRBS for the M17 and M18 with ball ammo seem bizarrely low, I.E. bad.

Edit: ah okay, that was before some changes apparently.
Old May 23, 2024, 03:32 AM   #45
Hawg

Taurus has come a long way since it's rep for being unreliable but if it was me and I wanted a 1911 that's dead nuts reliable I'd get a Rock Island A1 FS tactical.
Old May 23, 2024, 04:26 AM   #46
mehavey

FWIW: I've run at least a 1,00 rounds of mixed ball, hollow-point,
cast flat nose, Alox'd, powder coated, conventional lubed ammunition,
etc., through an M17 with nary a hiccup.

It ate everything.
Old May 23, 2024, 04:57 AM   #47
Hoss632

Been doing more research. Found what looks to be a very nice indoor range locally. Great prices for renting pistols, and their rental list pretty much has every gun suggested here for me to try. Plus training courses. Great prices so definitely excited to be diving further into learning to shoot and trying out the various pistols. I've honestly not been this excited to try something new in a long time.
Old May 23, 2024, 05:37 AM   #48
mehavey

Shazaaaammmmmm !
Old May 28, 2024, 04:44 AM   #49
Hoss632

Once again I can praise this community for being welcoming. A co-worker of mine who's a very avid gun owner was kind and brought in 4 boxes of different calibers of ammo. 5.7x28, 30 super carry, 9mm, and 40 S&W. Going to have to research the first 2 as not being into gun's the are not calibers that I know of or even good guns to try and find to rent for reach. If anyone has suggestions for those calibers please let me know. As for the 9mm and 40 I have a range close by that at least has an M&P 40 available to try out and a plethora of 9mm options.
Old May 28, 2024, 04:53 AM   #50
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss632 View Post
Once again I can praise this community for being welcoming. A co-worker of mine who's a very avid gun owner was kind and brought in 4 boxes of different calibers of ammo. 5.7x28, 30 super carry, 9mm, and 40 S&W. Going to have to research the first 2 as not being into gun's the are not calibers that I know of or even good guns to try and find to rent for reach. If anyone has suggestions for those calibers please let me know. As for the 9mm and 40 I have a range close by that at least has an M&P 40 available to try out and a plethora of 9mm options.
Of those four choices I’d suggest 9mm. Ammo is more common, cheaper, plenty effective for SD, and reasonable to learn with recoil wise.