The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2015, 06:00 PM   #26
RAfiringline

A used Browning Auto Rifle (BAR) 308 / 30'06 might work.
They're not set up for attachments other than a scope and iron sights, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=476447434
Old April 12, 2015, 07:21 PM   #27
Dragline45

Quote:
the M1a as many people have suggested, has a detachable mag, leaving the flash hider found on all models, a banned item.
The Scout which I recommended comes with a brake, and even a standard M1A can have the flash hider switched out fairly easily. Since a Scout has no pistol grip, no adjustable stock, no flash hider, and no bayonet lug, it seems the detachable magazine is the only ban feature which would make it acceptable.
Old April 12, 2015, 07:30 PM   #28
skizzums

I second the vepr, it an ak pattern with a beefier bolt system. 2 moa general accuracy and available in thumbhole stocks. available in whatever caliber you want really, I would go 54r.
Old April 12, 2015, 08:08 PM   #29
Homerboy

Mini 30 seems to be the ticket. Can be had for much less than a .308 and a .7.62 can take a bear.

Or just get a 12 gauge shotgun. Semi auto shotguns like the mossberg 930
Can be had for 600 bucks. Load it up with slugs and blast away.
Old April 12, 2015, 09:44 PM   #30
tahunua001

Quote:
The Scout which I recommended comes with a brake, and even a standard M1A can have the flash hider switched out fairly easily. Since a Scout has no pistol grip, no adjustable stock, no flash hider, and no bayonet lug, it seems the detachable magazine is the only ban feature which would make it acceptable.
the problem is that CT won't allow you to buy an illegal gun in the first place, even if you plan to make it ban compliant. it is a gray area if they would allow the sale of a gun with a threaded barrel as that would give the ability to install a scary feature so the threads would likely have to be rendered unusable, prior to sale in CT.

as for the recommendation for a Mini-30, I was was under the impression that it was banned by name but apparently only folding stock versions of the Mini-14 are banned specifically so mini 30 does fit the criteria, if slightly over budget.

Last edited by tahunua001; April 12, 2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old April 12, 2015, 10:38 PM   #31
Dragline45

Quote:
the problem is that CT won't allow you to buy an illegal gun in the first place, even if you plan to make it ban compliant. it is a gray area if they would allow the sale of a gun with a threaded barrel as that would give the ability to install a scary feature so the threads would likely have to be rendered unusable, prior to sale in CT.
I am pretty sure M1A muzzle devices are held on by castle nuts, I don't think they thread on like a typical muzzle device, don't hold me to that. At least I know in MA that the M1A's we get here do not have or require the muzzle devices pinned like you would on an AR.

But damn I thought our laws here in MA were bad, that is absolutely ridiculous. We still follow the original AWB, yet I can walk into any shop and pick up an M1A, AR, SCAR etc... along with the 20 and 30rd mags to go with it. We still have the same issue with the threaded barrels, but as long as the muzzle device is pinned on it's perfectly legal, which is why I went with a 14.5" barrel on my AR since it would need to be pinned anyway.

With all that said I would go with either an M1 Garand, SKS, or an auto shotgun.

Last edited by Dragline45; April 12, 2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old April 12, 2015, 11:29 PM   #32
tahunua001

yes, it makes me glad that I live in one of the last truly pro-gun states. only thing we don't have easy access to is NFA items.
Old April 13, 2015, 01:51 AM   #33
dakota.potts

The only thing I can think of is an SKS or maybe a VZ 58 with pinned/fixed magazine feeding from stripper clips. A CETME/PTR91 or FAL might work if you could find 10 round magazines and if they're not outright banned.

For what it's worth, I've heard of a gun shop in Connecticut selling bullpup XM-15s. They say that the Connecticut law defines a pistol grip as a grip directly below the action of the firearm, and a bullpup doesn't fall under that definition because the grip is forward of the action. Are they right? I don't know.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:58 AM   #34
Brit

In reading every bit of this thread, my head is spinning! One suggestion (I took this advice in 2003) move to the Gunshine State, you did not say how old you are, but you could move, before you retire!

I was 68 YOA and retired.

So sitting in my Gun safe, a Steyr AUG in 5.56, and a tricked out AK47, with an Ace folding stock.
I had to drag my Wife kicking and screaming! Down to Florida.

She loves it now (still loves me as well!) so I am batting a 1000.

That Remington pump rifle in .308 would work?

REMINGTON 7600 PUMP-ACTION RIFLE 308 WIN 22" NIB #24659 Just saw this, Just over $700.00 So if that is any indication, from $600.00 would seem doable? 4 round detachable magazine, so 5 round capable.

That should be totally legal for you, .308 great cartridge.
Old April 13, 2015, 06:04 AM   #35
skizzums

Good suggestion Brit, are you allowed "pump" ar15's? Those things are actually pretty practical weapons, can be shot fast and accurate, ten round mag and no pistol grip. Can change uppers with little effort. Not positive it's legal, but wouldn't see why it wouldn't be.
Old April 13, 2015, 02:39 PM   #36
mini14jac

Quote:
Mini 30 seems to be the ticket. Can be had for much less than a .308 and a .7.62 can take a bear.

Or just get a 12 gauge shotgun. Semi auto shotguns like the mossberg 930
Can be had for 600 bucks. Load it up with slugs and blast away.
This.
I would pick a Mini 30 over a SKS any day of the week.
Around here new ones are $600-700.
Should be able to get a used one in the $500-600 range.
1. Ruger has excellent customer service, the guns are made in the U.S.A, and you will never have to worry about one blowing up in your face.
2. Several different stocks available, as well as a top rail (Ultimak).
3. It's not hard to attach a scope, red dot, or flashlight.
4. You should be able to find mags in whatever capacity CT allows.
5. If you get one made in the last 10 years, you should be able to shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards with steel ammo.
6. They look cool!

I've got ARs, an Ak, and a Mini 14.
Nothing at all wrong with a Mini 30.

Or, get a decent shotgun and learn to love it.

Sorry your state's gun laws suck bro.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:09 PM   #37
suncoastarmory

I agree with mini14jac, mini 30 may be the way to go. I would have rather have something newer.
Old April 13, 2015, 03:39 PM   #38
tahunua001

although I agree that a mini 30 would be a better rifle there are few claims that I would like to address.
Quote:
1. Ruger has excellent customer service, the guns are made in the U.S.A, and you will never have to worry about one blowing up in your face.
and in what instance would you have to worry about an SKS blowing up in your face? even in situations where the firing pin froze and the gun went full auto, I have not heard of an instance with a catastrophic failure with an SKS.

Quote:
2. Several different stocks available, as well as a top rail (Ultimak).
but please keep in mind that since the mini has removable magazines, none of those stocks are legally allowed to have pistol grips, or collapsing stocks. that leaves few options other than a couple fancier stocks and ones that are no better than what the mini30 comes with in the first place.

Quote:
3. It's not hard to attach a scope, red dot, or flashlight.
perhaps not a scope or dot but where do you attache a flashlight on a stock with no rails? and if you should go with a flashlight that clamps to the barrel, what would make the SKS any less capable of attaching a flashlight in the same manner?
Old April 14, 2015, 02:21 PM   #39
mini14jac

My point with the SKS is that you don't know where it was made, or have any guarantee about the metals used.
They can go full auto.
I do know they blew up when using doctored CIA ammo during the Vietnam war, but a Mini 30 would probably blow up using that stuff too.

If you are a fan, that's fine but I think the Ruger is the better option on the basis of factory support alone.

And yes, any stock would still have to meet the "assault weapon" criteria.

A $5 piece of rail screwed to the top handguard will hold a small flashlight (Haley WML).
Or, if you put the Ultimak handguard on, you could mount the light there.
The Ultimak handguard would mount a scout scope or red dot, but you could also mount an Aimpoint Pro in a single ring on the forward scope mount.

This is a Mini 14 but the mounts are the same.

Old April 14, 2015, 03:13 PM   #40
tahunua001

Quote:
My point with the SKS is that you don't know where it was made, or have any guarantee about the metals used
actually you have a very good idea where one was made. SKS have factory codes/symbols on them to differentiate which country and factory they were built in. those nations also were not prone to just throw in a bunch of random hunks of metal into the pot and hope it was strong enough to handle recoil. they were made to the same standards as any other military rifle of the time, and better than some.

Quote:
They can go full auto.
so can an AR15, thompson SMG clone, M1 garand, M14(and civilian equivalents) or any of a half dozen other semi auto models with free floating firing pins, including the mini30. as long as the firing pin channel is cleaned, it is not a problem.

Quote:
A $5 piece of rail screwed to the top handguard will hold a small flashlight
and obstruct optics in the process unless it was one tiny flashlight.

as I said, I think the mini 30 would likely be a better rifle, but a lot of the things being listed as flaws in the SKS in this thread are either widely overblown or completely false.
Old April 14, 2015, 10:08 PM   #41
skizzums

if slam fires are a big concern of anyone with an SKS, they make springed firing pins to take that out of the equation. I shot my SKS along with several friends who all got one during the "panic", we shot the heck out of those 4 rifles, all from different places, mine norinco, friends Yugo's etc. none of us ever experienced any malfunctions between multi thousands of rounds through each rifle. other than it's weight balance, I indeed think it's a fine rifle with a great price-tag for a semi x39. my only concern with SKS is barrel condition, I would likely not order one off the internet since lord knows if they really have rifling left, any pic with a flash can make a bore look nice.

slam fire fix here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

never seen an SKS blow-up. not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a very popular rifle and I have never seen it in a forum despite a large percentage of people having one lying around. the sks has a forged milled receiver, beefy as anything.

btw: atleast 7 million Chinese sks made it in to the us long ago, and that's just the Chinese ones. so there is likely as least double that. so with so many millios of SKS', where are all these horror stories?

Last edited by skizzums; April 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old April 15, 2015, 03:16 AM   #42
ranger56528

FNAR or Mini 30 both are nice but then again so is the LR-308 .
Old April 15, 2015, 02:45 PM   #43
KShaft

Come on. AK is the glock equivelant in the semi auto world.

You can abuse the crap out of it and it will go bang.

Its not the most ergonomic, doesnt have all sorts of features, is accurate to minute of torso, but they both just run. Only difference would be the amount of accessories are much greater with a glock. Aks used to be almost the same price as a glock, but thanks to Various government officials and entities no longer.

The AR equivelance is a 1911. Customizable to the nth degree, both can be very accurate. Extreme ergonomics, American, and both require a bit of babying to run but its just that extra bit of care that gun folk dont have much aversion to.

As for black bears I think the 7.62x39 will put em on their ass but a full on 308 would be a more sure thing. Im not an expert on game that doesnt shoot back so sorry.
Old April 15, 2015, 02:56 PM   #44
SR420

My M14s have all been Glock & AK47 reliable.

Forged Poly Tech receivers, USGI, Poly Tech, and SEI parts.

Old April 15, 2015, 04:42 PM   #45
seanc

SR420:
Quote:
My M14s have all been Glock & AK47 reliable.
And so the answer is: The AK is the equivalent standard of reliability for semi-auto rifles that a Glock is for semi-auto pistols .
Old April 15, 2015, 11:14 PM   #46
uradaisyifudo

SKS

Tahunua001 has it, the SKS meets all the ops requirements really and leaves money on the table for 762x39. People from Idaho are just smarter, particularly so north of the Salmon River. That said, the Garand suggestion also has merit, but buying through the CMP to meet the ops stated constraints is time consuming. The window is narrowing to purchase either the SKS or Garand at the prices they are available today. I'll take 2 of both, but priorities being what they are, don't own either yet. As much as I like the SKS, I want a Garand for the history more, and I get to own an AR, my Kalishnikov pattern gun to date is a 12 gauge and my 762x39 a vz 2008, so I still need an AK. I suppose the wanting is part of the fun. To the OP, sorry your state is restrictive, but a tack driving bolt gun in .308 is nothing to sneeze at either and a respectable hunting rifle, .270 win mag is also a sweet shooter but back east you might accidentally shoot one of those into another state, so be careful.
Old April 16, 2015, 12:56 AM   #47
rfxcasey

Get one of these
https://www.classicfirearms.com/zast...iautorifle10rd
Old April 16, 2015, 08:54 AM   #48
tahunua001

RFXcasey,
thumbhole stock makes that rifle illegal in CT.

uradaiseyifudo,
thanks for the kind words but I've seen enough empirical evidence to refute the claim that "people from Idaho are smarter", look at me. exhibit "A"
Old April 16, 2015, 01:44 PM   #49
Tucker 1371

In my first post I recommended the VEPR but seeing as their illegal in CT I would definitely go with a Garand. Here in TN you can usually find decent shootin' quality Garands for $800ish, ones hope had a pair for $698 each on the wall and I'm kicking myself for not scooping one up.

It'll kill darn near any game animal in North America and AFAIK the only state that bans it is New York.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:54 PM   #50
tahunua001

as I understand the NY safe laws, M1 is legal but you are only allowed to load 5 rounds... then again their fish and game laws may be more restrictive.