The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2015, 05:31 AM   #26
Sport45

Quote:
The Latter Day Saints put grain up for long term storage. You might try a trick they use. Instead of a food grade plastic container you might try new empty one gallon paint cans from Lowes or HD. After you add your primers throw in a few chips of dry ice and let it expand to room temp. The CO2 will displace the air in the can because it is heaver than air. Once the Dry Ice is melted add a cheap desiccant pack and tap the lid down tight. It works for rice and beans as well
Just don't tap the lid down tight before the dry ice is through sublimating.

And you might want to put a rag under the dry ice since it's going to condense and freeze every bit of water that's in the air around it. Removing the (wet) rag from the container is also a good way to ensure all the dry ice is out too.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:29 AM   #27
TimSr

Quote:
People over-think things like this. Inventing problems, then thinking further about solutions. Usually causing a complicated solution to a non-existing problem.
LOL! I'm with you there.

I tend to think that if primers needed to have a vacuum packed, air tight seal in a climate control environment, the mfgs would put them in sealed package. They are packaged the way they are for a reason. They are expected to sit for months in warehousing, and sometimes months or even years on a store shelf. Read the expiration date and the storage wanrngs on the box for longest shelf life. There aren't any? I wonder why.

I've got some from the 80's I bought in CA and have been stored in the relaoding room, the garage over a few winters, a shed, and back in the reloading room in its original packaging. Still searching for that dud.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:38 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I tend to think that if primers needed to have a vacuum packed, air tight seal in a climate control environment, the mfgs would put them in sealed package."

My basement is fairly humid in the summer. I have dehumidifier down there, ut it only does so much.

I'm now using Remington, Federal, and Winchester primers that I bought over 20 years ago (in the case of the Federals, they were bought in the mid 1980s), and which were stored in my reloading closet all that time.

They're all going bang.

The ONLY way I'd routinely put primers into a sealed container is if I had uncontrolled humidity and heat in the storage area.

As in tropical levels.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 25, 2015, 11:32 AM   #29
snuffy

Respectfully, I and others have attempted to point out that primers require NO special storage conditions. They can stay in their original boxes anywhere a human can live without deterioration.

Another myth is "primers must be stored separately from powder bottles". I never could figure out the reasoning of that. They must conspire with the powder, when the moon is full on a cloudless night, to blow up!

Next to show up is "how do I kill a primer"? Answers will say just soak in oil, WD-40, cat pee, elbow grease, or some other concoction. Actually it's real hard to d-activate a primer. Never assume it's dead.

Last edited by snuffy; February 25, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 25, 2015, 01:28 PM   #30
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebug
I'm moving my reloading set-up from my house to my shop. The shop is insulated & air conditioned on an as needed basis (I'm in Texas).

I have my "bricks" of various primers just sitting on the shelf in the house. In the shop, should I put them in tupper ware, ziplocks or not worry about it?

TIA...

..bug
Respectfully, thanks to everyone for their constructive remarks.

I have had very little problems with primers in a lifetime of reloading but I have always been a CCI customer. I can only remember 2 totally dead primers & a couple that needed a second firing pin blow. Due to recent scarcity issues I find myself with several thousand primers of different brands I have no experience with. Also in making my move, I realize that I have a significant investment in what use to be the "cheapest" reloading component. It seems that the consensus is "..not worry about it?"

Thanks again to all that responded.