The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #26
rrp

I use peanut butter jars for alot of my handgun plinking ammo. I started out years ago buying the plastic 50 and 100 round boxes, but with the long Wisconsin winters I go crazy at the reloading bench, so now I recycle peanut butter jars for ammo and my cleaned and ready to load brass. I've even started using them for my smaller rifle rounds. They work great. Nothing like a couple hundred rounds of 9mm or 45cal in a jar to make a good day at the range. I use the midway load data stickers on all the jars.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:22 PM   #27
zxcvbob

I use peanut butter jars to store bullets, and for small brass like .380. (Large brass goes in ziplock freezer bags)
Old June 9, 2010, 03:09 PM   #28
ISC

I have half a dozen friends with 25,000+ rounds of ammo and I don't have very many friends. If all you have is a couple hundred rounds you are woefully short on what you should have if you intend to continue shooting after the next wave of anto gun legeslation.

It's not an if, it's a when.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:05 PM   #29
COSteve

I keep a few thousand rds of each caliber on hand loaded up so I use 30 cal and 50 cal metal ammo cans you can see under my bench.

Note my empty brass is stored in large pretzel kegs on the left while my working group is stored in pretzel kegs on the right. (No, I didn't eat all those pretzels myself; I use to provide them at my staff meetings. I got better attendance that way.)
Old June 9, 2010, 07:05 PM   #30
ir3e971

I use plastic containers that deli meat comes in from the grocery store.

Each holds about 200 9mm or 100 45.
Old June 9, 2010, 09:36 PM   #31
Blue Grass

I use plastic coffee cans for my brass and reloaded ammo. Cleaned brass is stored in blue(Maxwell House). Trimmed and primed brass is stored in red (Folgers) cans. These are kept in my shed. When I reload ammo, it's stored in red coffee cans with stickon labels about the load in my spare bedroom closet. At work, the electricians drink Folgers coffee and the office people drink Maxwell House so I get all the cans I need.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:32 AM   #32
Don P

Ammo cans and in saved and reused factory box's
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:34 PM   #33
Jumping Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtiphky
Is there a limit as to how many rounds you can store at your residence before you are considered an arsenal or something like that? I just heard over the weekend that the number was over 1,000 rounds and you need to obtain a license to store that much ammo.
I don't know about Michigan, but there is no limit in Louisiana.
I believe almost all states have standardized on the NFPA Fire Code. For example, in Ohio the fire code regulations simply point to the NFPA code.

The NFPA Rule 33 deals with Explosives and Fireworks. There is no limit on residential storage of loaded small arms ammunition, but you do have limits on components.

You cannot store more than 10,000 primers in a residence. Smokeless or black powder under 20 pounds must be in original containers. Under 50 pounds, it must be in a wooden locker with 1" thick sides.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:32 PM   #34
Glen-Bob

I also use the plastic Peanut Butter jars, as well as any similar type for bass and plinking ammo. Recently I caught a sale at the grocery on those disposable storage containers they work great especially for sorting and temp storage during the reloading process. My bulk ammo 9mm & .223 get the metal ammo cans. My hunting ammo goes into the plastic boxes, or recycled factory boxes. I've also used my food saver to vac and seal bags of ammo. Not bad for long term storage of guns and equipment either.
Old June 10, 2010, 11:10 PM   #35
totaldla

Gallon size Ziplock freezer bags about half-full. Then the bags go into a tote box.
Old June 11, 2010, 12:55 AM   #36
Memnok

This:

Sorry, this geocache will not be anyplace you can find it.
That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Old June 12, 2010, 11:20 PM   #37
medalguy

If anyone is interested, I have white paper cartons for 50 rounds of 45 and 9mm ammo, also 20 round cartons for 223 ammo. These are new, made of heavy gauge white paperboard, and are reusable. The pistol caliber cartons come flat and fold up just like the military boxes. The 223 cartons are glued and have flaps on top and bottom. Just set them up and fill them up. I am working on 308 cartons for 20 rounds and will have these available shortly. Cost is a fraction of the plastic boxes.

PM or email [email protected] for more info if interested.
Old June 13, 2010, 09:07 AM   #38
Jeff H

Labeled ziploc bags holding either 50 or 100 rounds. All the bags are stored in ammo cans. (pistol only)