The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2011, 07:11 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

Tooling around the internet I see that Joel Etchen expects to receive the 725 next month; in November. It looks like it may give Beretta a headache.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:06 AM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ir may, but Beretta is still the 600 lb gorilla of mid grade target shotguns.

Joel,BTW, is Rebecca's Dad.
Old October 14, 2011, 07:50 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

"Joel,BTW, is Rebecca's Dad."

Ah. I was thinking the old dog had a child bride. As for Beretta being the 600lb gorilla, it does seem to set the bar. I just came back from renting a Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting and renting an XS Skeet (for the second time) and I only wish they had a 682 to compare to. They had a Siver Pigeon I abuat that is nothing like Weatherby's Gold E.
Old October 15, 2011, 05:50 AM   #29
hopper810

Does where your shooting have any Beretta O/U's? the reason I ask is all the Beretta 68x series O/U's are basically the same.

In my understanding the 686 and 687 are exactly the same except for the wood and the "engraving" is different. the 682 has the adjustable trigger position and that's really about it. There may something else but nothing real drastic that I'm aware of.
Old October 15, 2011, 10:28 AM   #30
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
In my understanding the 686 and 687 are exactly the same except for the wood and the "engraving" is different. the 682 has the adjustable trigger position and that's really about it. There may something else but nothing real drastic that I'm aware of.
There is some difference in the 682 vs the 686 and 687... The 682s have replaceable hinge pins and barrel shoulders... The ribs are also a different width.. The stock on the 682 also has a much more pronounced palm swell compared to the 686/7s as well..
Old October 15, 2011, 11:25 AM   #31
hopper810

I didn't put the replaceable trunions and shoulders in because I Haven't heard that except for maybe the super-duper high volume shooters ever wore them out. For the average guy,myself included in that,it would never be a problem about wearing one out. And most folks wouldn't even notice the rib width,me included.

I was just responding as a casual shooter and from the e-mail's Klawman and I have exchanged he's one as well.

He seems like one of the good ones to bad I live in Tx,would like to shoot a round or 2 with him and yourself.
Old October 15, 2011, 12:49 PM   #32
TheKlawMan

Hopper, Per Sera on SGW some differences are

"682: Has adjustable trigger placement....maybe 3/4th inch ; has replaceable shoulders (never saw one replaced??) and are usually heavier by 1/2 lb.

686 : less engraving , lesser wood neither of the two features above"

I should probably have shot a 686 yesterday, but I am concerned that too light a gun might beat me up over time. As for adjustable triggers, I don't know how important that is. They adjusted the trigger all the way back for me on the CG I tried and the LOP was still nearly a half inch longer than what I am used to on the 870 (which is not to say that the 870 LOP is what I really should shoot). I am not what sure what the idea is behind the adjustable trigger. It may save cutting some wood or adding a spacer if the LOP is slightly too long or short, but I wonder if it is nice to have if you are from a region with weather in which you shoot in a polo shirt in Summer and a heavy jacket, if at all, in winter.

As for the eye candy, it is nice and I would love to have it but can live (I think) with a simple gun.

Edit: I am not to sure about the SP1 being light. It isn't readily findable, at least for me at the Beretta site. I heard they are light, but one dealer lists the SP1 at 7lb 10 oz and the SP1 Field at 7 lb 4 0z. Both are 12 ga and I beleive both are 30" barrels.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; October 15, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:12 PM   #33
oregunner

The adjustable trigger has more to do with the size of your hand than the LOP. When you move the trigger it doesn't move the pistol grip. Remingtons are normally built with a shorter LOP (14"), which is less than most field guns at 14 1/4" and most Sporting guns at 14 1/2". The new way to get close to a good LOP is to mount the gun and you should have between 1" to 1 1/2" between your nose and your thumb. Then shoot a few thousand rounds and fine tune. Mark

Last edited by oregunner; October 15, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:32 PM   #34
hopper810

Weight's easy to add,hard to take off just like real life What type of shell are you shooting? I shoot 1oz shot around 1200 FPS,Very nice on the shoulder and will break any target if you do your part.

Did you have .300 have a look at your form? and MAYBE what your used to shooting the LOP MIGHT be too short. So a longer LOP will feel funny at first.

But give the 686 a go and see if someone at your club can maybe assist by looking at your form and stance.

Just offering some things you may not have thought of or weren't sure about. Wish I could be of more help but it's kind of hard doing it long distance and not watching you shoot.

I'm sure not a fitter or coach,just offering some things I've picked up here and there.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:37 PM   #35
TheKlawMan

That not only makes sense, Oregunner, and I think I heard that somewhere andn promptly filed that bit of info where I can't find it. I have small hands, wearing a men's cadet golf glove, and I have always thought that I had to reach a bit for the trigger on the 870.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:48 PM   #36
TheKlawMan

Jerry (Hopper) one of the guys here who has never seen me shoot has also woncdered if the the LOP on the 870 is a bit short. I don't know and always thought it too long. When I was shooting the CG and the XS Skeet yesterday they wanted to ride high on my shoulder with a lot of stock in the air. I don't know if that was due to the length of the stock or me just screwing things up why trying to assimilate some things. I do know that when I mount the 870 the lenses of my glasses are about 2" back of my thumb, but then it seems that I have been mounting the gun with an overly exagerrated erect posture.

Having some of the guys take a look at me shoot is a good idea. This may also be a good time to spring for a lesson.
Old October 15, 2011, 04:22 PM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"A good time to spring for a lesson"....

Yes it is. Get your form and technique right now, rather than practicing bad habits until there is little chance of improvment.
Old October 15, 2011, 05:02 PM   #38
hopper810

As usual ---- What Dave said
Old October 15, 2011, 06:21 PM   #39
TheKlawMan

The opposite of practice, practice, and more practice is not to practice. A frequent poster whom I will not name has suggested that I may be becoming to accustomed to the 870. The BIG guy whom I am not naming may be right, again, if it turns out that the 870 is a poor fit for me. I am going to put it aside and save the target and fee money to spend with a pro.
Old October 15, 2011, 06:46 PM   #40
BigJimP

You make me sound so smart.... I may have said that ...or maybe not ...who remembers..???

But I do think until you get a gun that fits ..that shooting more, may not be in your best interest .....bad practice,,,,and more bad practice ..is just not productive...

..but a lot of this will be resolved with a decent target grade gun.....if it has some adjustability built in. I still maintain that a parallel comb gun will fit / or has the adjustment to fit 99.9% of shooters ...if it has an adj comb / where all of the angled comb guns take a lot more time (and maybe money) to make them fit ...especially if your mount is suspect... A parallel comb gun will forgive more bad mounts than an angled comb gun will....
Old October 15, 2011, 07:38 PM   #41
oregunner

Check out a Jack West stock for your 870. Includes an adjustable comb for a reasonable price. http://jackweststocks.com/
Old October 15, 2011, 08:42 PM   #42
TheKlawMan

Quote:
(and maybe money)
Jim knows what is dear to me.

Oregunner. BigJim first suggested the Jack West to me 6 months ago. I am still thinking of getting one for the 870, even if I have a shiny new wood and blue toy. First I want to me that toy. Just recently I ran into a hunter with a weird fit problem and he has one on his 870 and loves it.