The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2006, 09:25 PM   #26
RNettles

My stray cat problem now lives 45 miles to the West of here... with two major rivers to cross to get back here...
Old March 16, 2006, 09:48 AM   #27
Ga Johnny

well it looks like the people in charge here prefer dogs over cats, the last time a dog killing thread came along they send everbody nasty emails and locked the thread. But I guess it's OK to discuss ideas for killing the neighbors cats.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:15 AM   #28
maas

i have no neighbors there for i shoot cats.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 17, 2006, 02:19 AM   #29
Balloo

My mother in law had a severe cat problem.There were hundreds of wild cats living under her house and they would always fight in the middle of the night and tear up the trash and stuff.She offered me 5 dollars a cat to wipe them out so me and a friend of mine borrowed a couple traps.We set them up and waited.Cats sure do love a can of tuna.After all three traps were full we would go out in the woods and release them one by one,as soon as they left the cage I would take aim with my trusty mossberg.Not one single cat got away.We repeated the process for 3 days and got mostly all of the cats.All in all I would have made around $180 dollars but since they were my days off and ammo was so cheap,I did it for free And after all she is my wifes mother.My friend and I did eat good for those three days.Every night she made a special dinner just for us.
Old March 17, 2006, 01:53 PM   #30
9mm_prn

Mmmm. Mmmm. Mmmm. Cat backstrap. LOL

I have a cat problem also. The neighbors feed the wild cats around here. They just love to piss all over the cover on my ski boat that I store in my pole barn. Been using the havahart traps at my daughter request. Although I would prefer the cahnce to get a liitle moving target practice with the 10/22.

Have you considered a steel plate sitting on rubber pads. Maybe set a can of tuna on top of the plate and plug that sucker into 110v wall socket. You'll have a pile of cats to scoop up by morning...

Ah, the imagination goes wild when your boat stinks like cat urine.
Old March 17, 2006, 02:20 PM   #31
Wisby

I was discussing this thread with some friends of mine and we came to a couple conclusions...
1. A man in Seattle just got fined close to 80k from what we rember for killing his neighbors 3 cats and a little jail time so be Real Carefull in whatever you deciede to do.
2. Some of us have Cats since we don't have big yards, mine happens to be a tempermental pain in the Ass but I do like the ole Guy and for that reason I keep him in my Apartment and take care of him. If he got out and someone shot him I would be plenty pissed at the shooter and myself for not taking better care of my responsibility.
3. No matter how it Ends make it sound really nice or like you didn't do anything.
Old March 17, 2006, 04:00 PM   #32
kozak6

Here's a link to the absolute best option:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202473

Old March 17, 2006, 11:37 PM   #33
swampdog

Cats are hard to kill. You wouldn't think something that small would be
so tough, but they don't have a rep for 9 lives for nothing. While taking
care of the feral cat problem around my house, I had to chase one 1/4
mile down the road and shoot it out from under my neighbors back deck.
He wasn't real happy about it. The amazing thing about it was the cat
only had half a head from the first shot I hit him with in my backyard. (.22 lr)
We had another one around the house that was pregnant . You wouldn't
see this one very often during the day. I chopped up a carp and an hour later,
silence of the kitty. These were real ferals not anyone's pets.

When my female chocolate lab got big enough, she proved to be an effective
feral cat killer. She certainly seems to enjoy it more than I did. As an added bonus,
she cleans up after herself by eating them so there are no incrimanating bodies
left around if some of the ones she gets ain't exactly feral.

I like and own a couple of cats, btw. They keep the rats down and my lab honest.
For your situation, get a Red Ryder to run them off. The neighbors I've got around
here would be glad to return the favor if I started killing their pets.
Old March 19, 2006, 04:58 AM   #34
azzhandler

alil antifreeze helps everything go down better
Old March 19, 2006, 02:14 PM   #35
sparkysteve

I would recomend a .410 or .22mag. My bow is fun too. Oh yeah, if it dosen't have a collar on it, and it's on my property, I'm shooting it.
Old March 20, 2006, 03:43 AM   #36
maas

couldnt agree with you more steve, but sometimes the coller makes a good target my personal best is around 250 yards (like i said i have no neighbors) there was a cat on "MY" fince post. to put it nicely the 22-250 politely asked it to get off of it.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old March 20, 2006, 11:40 AM   #37
Jbar4Ranch

If "country property" = 5 acres or 20 acres or somesuch, and you have a neighbor, ya have to expect his cat(s) to wander a few dozen or a few hundred feet. If "country property" = a section or two and the neighbor is a couple miles off, then the cat(s) may well be feral and not a family pet. We've all read about things like this escalating into nasty physical fueds and court battles, so be careful.

Cats are welcome here, however...
I've perpetually had problems over the years with townfolk buying subdivided "ranchettes" consisting of 5 or 10 acres a couple miles or so away from me, then letting their dogs run loose, because, after all, they're in "the country" now. Dogs like to pack up and chase wildlife and domestic livestock, but when I confront these people about it, the answer is invariably, "Our dog never leaves our yard". Many times, I've found newborn calves all torn to hell from these nice, well behaved doggies, so quite often they never leave my yard.
Ya do whatcha gotta do, then follow the 3S rule: Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup.

SASS 47015
Old March 20, 2006, 08:49 PM   #38
maas

my problem that ive had in the past was people dropping cats off at my house. it started out being one or two at a time and i was ok with them at first, hell i let a few stay in my barn for rat control. then people started dropping them off by the dozens, thats when i started to retaliate.

Old March 24, 2006, 12:22 AM   #39
Bigfatts

I had a problem a while back with one of the neighbors cats getting into my Koi pond and devouring my baby Koi and most of my Bull Frogs. I told the neighbor and of course their pretty little Mr. Bangles or whatever never leaves their yard. Considering the $10 ea. price tag of the little Sushi's the cat was getting, I just started letting the 90 lb Boxer out whenever the cat came around. After about 3 misses, my "little" Embyr got a tastey little morsel.
Old March 24, 2006, 12:00 PM   #40
cdarney

I have a neighbor doing the same. There were several feral cats around. She started feeding them. There are now at least a dozen that roam all over the place. They must have parties on my car given the number of cat prints. I think the paint ball solution might be a good idea.

These cats are very destructive. Any birds on the ground are fair game to them and I feed the birds. I haven't seen a rabbit within 200yds of the place for years.

I don't necessarily condone killing them, but they are quite a nusiance.
Old April 2, 2006, 08:45 PM   #41
Anthony2

I post the following option with a warning.

My opinion should in no way be construed to consent of innocent killings.

That said:

Look at a "Metro" gun (12 ga. w/ a 6' barrel) the report is quieter than a .22 and is far more effective.
Old April 2, 2006, 10:34 PM   #42
308SORRELS

I live out in the country my nearest neighbor is half a mile away but I have caught there cat 3 times in a live trap and returned it . I am not a cat hater I just do not like them so the last time I shot it with a paintballgun and hit it just right because it never moved again . and I know what you are talking about the people are starting to build on the 6 acre plots around here . I had 3 of them that got in my pheasant pen and just killed all of them and did not even eat them. AS Mad as I was my wife helped me keep them in until the sheriff got there .We just put a 16 inch square piece of fence over the hole. the deputy cked there collar and called the owners to my house to get there dog and pay my bill including a brand new pen as they had destroyed a small spot . they each were charged $150.00 and were informed that I did have the right to destroy there animal the next time I caught it on my place . 2 of em thru a fit the other guy just handed me 100 and took his dog out of the pin and shot it as he said (he could have understood it if it would have been hungry but it just killed for the fun of it ) we are now good friends