The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2010, 10:30 AM   #26
bikerbill

I got to handle one at my local gunshop and was amazed at the weight and solid feel. However, they were asking $585 +tax for it, putting it well over $600 and well out of my range for a .380. Guess I'll just keep carrying my PM9 and wait for prices to drop.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:54 AM   #27
To3T@g

I bought mine yesterday at academy sports for 467 with tax! so after seeing what others have payd i feel like i got a good deal! going to shoot it tomarrow after work if i have time or saturday around lunch. My saftey is very positive and ingages on or off with no problem. I saw post's that some people wanted the rosewood grips like i do,but couldnt find any or the factory refused to sell them any. I found a site that makes custom grips for the p238 and there as good or better than sigs in several different wood varities! ex: cocobolo,brasilian rosewood,zebra wood,white maple,lacewood, bubinga,bocote and purple heart wood. heres the website for those who are interested "WWW.CUSTOMIZEDCREATIONZ.COM" I bought 2 sets of grips for mine last night(rosewood and white maple) and i got the checkered ones! They have regular shiney flat ones and a"fatboy"style that are thicker aswell.
Old February 6, 2010, 07:37 PM   #28
rdhog

love my Sig P 238

Have owned my Sig P 238 for 3 months. Have shot approx. 300 rds. of PMC 90 grain through her. Not one FTE or any problem and it is extremely accurate. For me it points better than many semi auto's and recoil is minimal so you maintain you POA. I Love this gun and it is my CW of choice. Before you knock it, shoot it, I think you will be surprised.
Just my .02 worth

"To those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor, the protected will never know"
Old February 14, 2010, 09:42 PM   #29
Les Maynard

Location: Safety Harbor, Florida since 2006 Waterloo, New York before 2006.
I just purchased a Sig P238 Equinox, after 150 rounds no failures of anykind. Very accurate,and fun to shoot. I normally carry a Kimber Ultra CDP 45acp. But will be carrying the Sig on days when the temp. is over 90. My wife wants me to sell her Ruger LCP w/ct and get her one. I carry Cocked and Locked and feel very comfortable with it IWB.

Last edited by Les Maynard; February 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Pix
Old March 22, 2010, 09:09 PM   #30
Cooter Brown

My p238

Put 100 rounds through my brand new p238.

50 were PMC Bronze 90 Grh FMJ. Had multiple FTFs and five or six FTEs. The FTFs were the most frustrating as I had to recock the hammer sometimes 3 or 4 time before I tossed the round or it finally fired. The other brand performed much better but not flawlessly.

I'm going to clean, oil and try again.

Anything you guys want to add?

Next question; how do you guys carry your p238? I picked up an ankle strap. It works great but by the end of the day my ankle is pretty beat up. It can fit in my pocket, even with the laser attachment. But I already have abunch of stuff I carry there.

Speaking of the laser, mine turned on and off several times after a shot. Shoot, turn off. Shoot turn back on. Anyone else with this issue?

So far, I'm a little worried.

The gun was accurate and the rise managable.
Old April 9, 2010, 09:47 PM   #31
bkg4211

p238 SAS

I picked up my p238 SAS today. I did ALOT of research before buying it and was a little anxious given some of the accounts of FTFs and FTEs, but decided to take the plunge any way.

I went home, cleaned and lubed the pistol; then went to the range. I fired 150 rounds through the pistol. I experienced no FTFs or FTEs. The weapon also charged and discharged every round... no failures to fire.

Accuracy is impressive for a sub-compact. At 7 yards, I was able to shoot a 2 inch shot group with a handful of "fliers". At 10 yards the shot grouping opened up to about 4 inches with a fair amout of fliers (I am confident that the fliers were my fault).

While I cannot definitively say this is the case, I am left wondering if the problems with the p238 that are being reported on various forums might be related to the gun not being properly cleaned and lubed prior to initial use. I say this because there are similar reports about Kimbers and Sig 239s having problems with FTFs and FTEs.

When I got my Kimber Custom II, I saw reports of unreliability. I made a point of cleaning and lubing it prior to initial use per Kimbers break-in instructions. I have had no FTF or FTE issues with my Kimber.

When I got my Sig p239, same story... reports of reliability issues, I cleaned and lubed the gun, and have had no problems.

It also occurs to me that a weak grip could cause FTEs and FTFs.

When I lubed the gun I was careful not to over lubricate. Over lubricating firearms can cause issues too.

I suspect that the failures encountered by the original poster were the result of rental of a very "tired" gun. By his account, it was very dirty and as a rental gun I would imagine that it would have quite a bit of wear.
Old April 10, 2010, 12:42 AM   #32
HisSoldier

My new HD model. The HD is the all steel model, and priced accordingly ($630).

This is the first P-238 that I've personally installed one of my stainless triggers in, it is considerably easier to install in the Sig than in the Mustangs and Government .380's that the triggers were designed for. The whole thing took about 10 minutes and required no fitting. Now if I could swap out the blackened safety, mag catch and slide stop for the plated ones I'd be happier. Anyone have white furniture who wants black?

I'm very please with the function of the gun, so far it's been totally reliable, but I've only popped 40 rounds through it.

The trigger weight is excessive at 7.3 lbs, I'll be working on that. The mainspring housing is either plastic or black anodized aluminum alloy, so I'll be making a stainless replacement for that too.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old April 10, 2010, 04:29 AM   #33
mgh

I had problerms first time I took mine to the range, several failures to feed. Took it home and cleaned it good, used the grease that came with it on the rails. Next time I took it out no problems at all. The little pistol shoots very well, accurate, mild recoil.
Old April 10, 2010, 08:47 PM   #34
bkg4211

P238 SAS

Today was the second day that I shot my P238. I was able to put another 150 rounds through it. Again no FTFs or FTEs. Again the weapon achieved full battery and discharged every round.

So three hundred rounds into the pistols 500 round break-in, we have the following tally:

Failures to feed: 0
Failure to charge: 0
Failure to discharge: 0
Failures to eject: 0

Additionally, today happened to be the first day that my wife was able to shoot her new P238 Nitron with Rosewood Grips. In other words, not a Sig Custom Shop gun. I was wondering if the SAS as a Custom Shop gun might be of higher quality and the issues being reported were for models other than the P238 SAS.

Prior to initial firing, I followed the same cleaning and preparation process for my wifes pistol. After her first 100 rounds she has experienced no FTFs, no FTEs and a weapon that charged and discharged every round as expected.

I am now more than ever convinced that faulty maintenance and break-in is a significant part of the problems being reported with the P238. I also suspect that the Mil-Comm TW25B lubricant that comes with each new Sig plays no small role in this reliability.

Based on my first 2 days of actually owning and firing 2 different p238 models, it is my opinion that these are high quality firearms that are accurate and reliable. I couldn't be more pleased.

Last edited by bkg4211; April 11, 2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:04 PM   #35
Nakanokalronin

I like the way they look, I like that they are small and I really like that they are like tiny 1911s. That said I don't like the price at all. I don't seem to have any trouble finding them at any of my local shops because of their price. $500-$600 for a small .380 pistol, don't think so! If they were around $350-$375 I would seriously look into getting one.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; April 10, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old April 11, 2010, 05:12 PM   #36
bkg4211

P238 SAS

Day 3 at the range. Got another 100 rounds through my P238, so I am at a total of 400 rounds fired.

Again no failures of any kind.

In another 100 rounds, I'll have completed the break-in for the pistol.
Old May 1, 2010, 06:53 PM   #37
Dragonheart2

I will stick with my PPK/s

I was considering the Sig 238 because of it's light weight when compared to my Walther PPK/s. After test firing a friends 238 my comments are: it is smaller and lighter than the Walther, it holds 6 rounds and the Walther holds 8, it is not as comfortable in my hand as my Walther, it's accuracy is okay but not as good as the Walther, the 238's dependability is downright poor when compared to that of my Walther PPK/s that never fails to fire. There is no way I am going to carry a firearm of questionable reliability when my life or the life of a loved one may depend on the gun I am carrying. This gun has fail to fire problems. Don't take my word for it just look at the posts on the net.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:39 AM   #38
casblue

Sig VS Mustang

Here is my 2 cents: I own multiple hand guns. My Primary cary is a Kahr 45 compact (Great gun as well). I carry my mustang 380 in the warmer months for small compact concealment. This is a good gun, just a pain in the ass to take down as I always have problems with the searing pin as it allways falls into the mag well. Sights are very crude as well. It has appreciated in value tremendously though. The guy at the shop told me he would buy it......ya think? No Thanks. I'll keep it.

I saw the new Sig P238 yesterday at the gun shop......sweet! I am very interested in the take down and machining of the Sig P238. The gun shop would not take it dow for me. I am assuming that it will be to Sig standards which are very high in my opinion.

My Mustang is a great gun....however; the machining of the internals is very crude. I sliced my hand when I fist cleaned it. I mean sliced! The machining is sloppy.
My Sig 226's maching is very clean and precise. The Gun is "loose" like satted in previous posts but it is reliable and accurate as hell. I love this gun as well, just too big to carry.

I am thinking of buying the Sig P238 and will look at the Kahr as well. My guess is it will be the Sig, Black rose wood. Will let you know the out come. They are not cheap. $650.99 where I usually buy. Not many to choose from so beggers can't be choosers.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:26 PM   #39
dreamweaver

the colt mustang is one of my favorite carry guns, so the sig 238 was an easy transition for me. I actually traded a PM9 for one. rosewood with nite sights. I feed it hornady CD and buffalo bore JHP +p without problems. buffalo bore's +p FMJ FN doesn't cycle (FTF)
as for takedown, about 10 seconds to field strip. same as any 1911 platform pistol.
it carries well in my back pocket. the grips are after market anodized aluminum.

Old May 9, 2010, 09:26 PM   #40
JOLOW

P238 HD

Bought a p238 HD at a gun show last week in Jacksonville. The HD is all stainless steel ( barrel and frame) and 5 oz. heavier than any other model and more expensive, but to me .... well worth it. What a great shooting little pistol! Feels good in my hands and very accurate. My Smart Carry holster is perfect doing double duty, as my S&W 638 revolver with a crimson trace laser fits also, if I choose to carry it instead.

The take down took quite a while to master until I finally realized I had to push the pin from the other side and line the hole up PERFECTLY.

The quality overall is very impressive. The G10 grips are like fine sandpaper and will allow a firm hold rapid firing. Maybe I'll spring for the good looking Rosewood grips in the future. The p238 is now my primary carry weapon.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:54 PM   #41
wetdawg

Any P238 SAS owners out there?

What a great thread. Any of you consider the SAS instead of the Equinox?
Old May 10, 2010, 08:30 PM   #42
gglass

My wife never leaves home without hers. The P238 is so small and slim that it can hide just about anywhere.

Old May 30, 2010, 06:39 AM   #43
JayBSN

I obtained my Class A unrestricted on friday afternoon and wandered in to my local gunshop to educate myself a bit. I'm still far from educated, I took the safety course with a friend and was hooked at the range. Being that I'm moving to MS alone at 20 something, im looking for something to carry.

So the manager of the shop heard me talking about my annoying small hands (being female and all) and pulled out his Colt Mustang. I just about died at how perfect it was. It fits in my hands. Its easy (for me) to shoot. And I don't feel like I'm going to lose my shoulder as he says "when it goes bang."

He was talking about the Sig P238 but I'm finding really mixed reviews and the colt mustang is pretty expensive. I know some years have issues too. Is there a way to find the year they were made to avoid the later years? Also, before I go buy an $1200 NIB Colt mustang or a Sig P238, Is there anything else I should look at?

I don't know the difference between double and single action so I have no preference thus far, I am essentially in the hands of the educated and will follow where you tell me to go
Old May 30, 2010, 07:21 AM   #44
03Shadowbob

I own 2 P238s. One plain jane version and one Rainbow with Rosewood grips and night sights.
I haven't shot the rainbow and likely won't as I'll give it to my daughter years down the road. I have shot hundreds of rounds through the other and not one problem.
There is such a large gap between a LCP, P3AT, Diamond back, etc and this gun in regards to craftsmanship, fit, finish, recoil, sights, etc...If you want a $300-$350 gun that is cool and they are a fine firearm but there isa reason these are hard to find and selling for more. I paid $425 for the plain jane and paid cost ($500) for the rainbow.
Around here the rainbows go from $650 - $800. Would I pay that much? Probably not but I would pay a hundred more than a ruger or keltec for something of this quality.
My safeties are very very positive on mine.
Old June 1, 2010, 09:02 AM   #45
dirksterg30

Quote:
I obtained my Class A unrestricted on friday afternoon and wandered in to my local gunshop to educate myself a bit. I'm still far from educated, I took the safety course with a friend and was hooked at the range. Being that I'm moving to MS alone at 20 something, im looking for something to carry.

So the manager of the shop heard me talking about my annoying small hands (being female and all) and pulled out his Colt Mustang. I just about died at how perfect it was. It fits in my hands. Its easy (for me) to shoot. And I don't feel like I'm going to lose my shoulder as he says "when it goes bang."

He was talking about the Sig P238 but I'm finding really mixed reviews and the colt mustang is pretty expensive. I know some years have issues too. Is there a way to find the year they were made to avoid the later years? Also, before I go buy an $1200 NIB Colt mustang or a Sig P238, Is there anything else I should look at?

I don't know the difference between double and single action so I have no preference thus far, I am essentially in the hands of the educated and will follow where you tell me to go
I'd suggest you take a look at the Cornered Cat website - by a woman for women. My wife found it very useful when she was starting down the road of concealed carry.
Old June 26, 2010, 03:45 PM   #46
Reloader38

Another "Thumbs-Up" For The SIG P238

I bought a SIG P238 SAS for my wife about a month ago (it was manufactured on 05/03/10), and to date we have shot about 400 rounds through it. 300 of those rounds have been factory ammo., and the latest 100 rounds have been my own reloads. To date, our experience is the same as bkg4211 has reported - no failures of any kind.

This little gun is pretty small for my large hands, but I can hold and fire it accurately. My wife shoots it even better than I do, and its night sights are excellent.

Last week we shot at the local range with a friend who had recently bought a Taurus TCP .380. He complained about the feel of the gun when he shoots it (lots of kick), the fact that it is double action only so the trigger pull is very long, and he didn't like the sights. We let him shoot my wife's P238 and he immediately fell in love with it, saying that it was vastly superior to his Taurus TCP. He left the range saying he was going to talk to his local dealer about trading in the Taurus for a P238 (plus, obviously, a bit of additional cash!)

My wife says her P238 is her favorite gun, and she also has a P239 (9mm) and she's fired a lot of rounds through my P226 (also 9mm). Guess you could say we are happy SIG owners.
Old August 17, 2010, 02:21 PM   #47
edteach

P238 Problems

I just bought a p238 HD. I did not listen to the complaints and I should have. I took it to the range and there are a couple of things, sig has not fixed the breach from hitting the mag and after one mag I had the burr. Second if you are left handed don't get this gun. I have medium hands and the index finger hits the slide hold open lever about every 4 or 5 rounds just enough to hold it open. I shot half of my rounds were reloads. I brought my firestorm and they functioned perfectly, but the sig would have to be pushed manually into battery about 50% of the time. I know many say well its a reload, but my firestorm functions perfectly and at 185$ I would feel much safer with this gun than the p238. My sig is the HD all SS model with night sights. I called sig and they said they have had not trouble with the gun. I think this is BS and it is my first and last sig. If you are right handed and shoot only factory ball you should be OK, but I am not paying 550 for temperamental gun.
Old August 17, 2010, 03:30 PM   #48
Enoy21

for a .380 , I still prefer the Bersa Thunder..... @$250 ( an PPK look-alike) It's a very solid gun with good reviews.

After talking my Girlfriend into getting one , it's her favorite gun to shoot. I enjoy it as well when I'm not feeling my Glock 23 in .40 .
Old August 27, 2010, 12:46 PM   #49
hardhat harry

Picked up my P238 Blackwood Monday, Aug 23. Cleaned/lubed and then polished the feed ramp to shiny silver (was black finish)

Range time yesterday, Thursday:

50 rounds S&B 90gr...no FAIL TO FEED, no FAIL TO FIRE, no FAIL TO EXTRACT
50 rounds Speer Lawman 92gr: Same thing
10 rounds Federal Hydra-shok: Same thing

4 inch groups at 35 yards, standing combat stance.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:31 PM   #50
hardhat harry

Another range session today:

200 rounds of the S&B, same results. Grouping got better, probably me getting used to this small frame!

I did notice some of the spend cartridges had a small nick in the "mouth" end of them, but not all of them were nicked. Not sure what is causing this. Any ideas?