The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 8, 2011, 12:38 AM   #26
B.N.Real

Aguila Blanca,thanks for the new info,others are reading your replies and learning,good stuff.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:25 PM   #27
Opinated

Purely a matter of personal preference, some of the newer 1911s have a trigger with holes. Perhaps it would be called a ventilated trigger. Would make little difference in the weight of the pistol. If it serves any other function, please let us know. I never saw an original GI issue 1911 with such a trigger. And I like my RIA just fine with the solid trigger.
My son today held my 1911, the first time he ever held one. He said his Glock 19 feels better. I thought I raised him better than that.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:32 PM   #28
WVsig

Quote:
Purely a matter of personal preference, some of the newer 1911s have a trigger with holes. Perhaps it would be called a ventilated trigger. Would make little difference in the weight of the pistol. If it serves any other function, please let us know. I never saw an original GI issue 1911 with such a trigger. And I like my RIA just fine with the solid trigger.
My son today held my 1911, the first time he ever held one. He said his Glock 19 feels better. I thought I raised him better than that.
Lighter trigger requires less force to pull reward. The thought is that is will improve your trigger pull. I like them on some guns but it is not necessary to achieve a good trigger pull IMHO.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
Quote:
Purely a matter of personal preference, some of the newer 1911s have a trigger with holes. Perhaps it would be called a ventilated trigger. Would make little difference in the weight of the pistol. If it serves any other function, please let us know. ...
Lighter trigger requires less force to pull reward. The thought is that is will improve your trigger pull. I like them on some guns but it is not necessary to achieve a good trigger pull IMHO.
Uh no, not really. An aluminum alloy or polymer trigger shoe, with or without lightening holes, reduces the inertial mass of the trigger compared with the original steel trigger shoe used on the 1911. Reducing the inertial mass reduces the likelihood of trigger bounce under recoil. Trigger bounce in a 1911 set up with a good trigger job and light, crisp trigger pull can cause the gun to double.
Old December 8, 2011, 08:53 PM   #30
B.N.Real

The holes in the triggers are to offset the weight from the increased outer pressure point set by these different trigger pieces.

The trigger face is farther from your palm.

I.E,-the length of pull is increased.

It does'nt take alot to make a huge difference in effort or comfort for people with long fingers or larger hands.

The holes are simply a way to lighten the piece used for that.

Though I have a huge hands like baseball mitts-I have fairly short fingers and the original length 1911 trigger-closer to the frame suits me perfect.

And that style-the original 1911 style ,there was something simply right about that,when JB made the darn thing.
Old December 8, 2011, 09:00 PM   #31
WVsig

Quote:
Uh no, not really. An aluminum alloy or polymer trigger shoe, with or without lightening holes, reduces the inertial mass of the trigger compared with the original steel trigger shoe used on the 1911. Reducing the inertial mass reduces the likelihood of trigger bounce under recoil. Trigger bounce in a 1911 set up with a good trigger job and light, crisp trigger pull can cause the gun to double.
Yes... trigger bounce stand corrected. People used to drill the holes in heavier steel triggers. It seems like today with lighter materials like alum they are there for looks as much as anything else.

Last edited by WVsig; December 8, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old December 9, 2011, 10:48 AM   #32
FireForged

All checkmate 7round mags here.