The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2022, 01:35 PM   #26
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
One more thought. 44 AMP mentioned a colander and a bucket to separate the brass and media. Many moons ago I bought a very useful tub and case separator from Dillon. You dump the tumbler contents into the case holder which fits into the tub, roll it around a few times until all media drops into the tub, then dump the cases on the towel that I previously mentioned. Empty the tub into the small storage bucket or back into the tumbler.
The vibratory tumbler I bought comes with the media separator. It is a small Franklin Arsenal, but it will get me started. I also have the wet tumbler. May play with some suggestions folks put on here and see what works best.

I have some Lowe's 5 gallon buckets in the garage.

Thanks.
Old October 25, 2022, 01:40 PM   #27
NHSHOOTER

I just read all the answers to all your questions and then some, all excellent information. Have a great time reloading and shooting your own reloads, there are a few other things you will hear about but I think that will come later ie: bullet jump to the lands to name 1, something I find important in my reloads..
Old October 25, 2022, 02:13 PM   #28
oldbear1950

USAF there are a few universal deprimers, and actually a few hand held primer systems, I have both the LEE, and the Lyman. About the only difference in the two, is the Lyman uses standard shell holders that fit most standard presses, and the Lee has their own shell holders for the primer tool. They both work fine.
I started loading when I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska, was hard to find ammo, and the stores in town only carried the most common ammo.
I stopped loading until covid hit, and then ammo prices went thru the roof. When you could find it that is. So I started loading again.
I retired from the US COAST GUARD after 20. Am disabled and on a fixed budget, so it pays to reload. I also have a very understandable wife. That makes it a lot easier.
Old October 25, 2022, 03:09 PM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Another question, should I deprime before cleaning brass?
I tumble first, then deprime.

I use a vibratory tumbler with dry corncob media. I found that if I deprime first, there's a tendency for bits of media to get caught in the flash hole, necessitating a careful inspection of each case to be sure that hasn't happened -- or a nuisancy probe to clear it when it did happen. Cleaning first removes that issue entirely.
Jeepaholic
Old October 25, 2022, 04:19 PM   #30
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbear1950 View Post
USAF there are a few universal deprimers, and actually a few hand held primer systems, I have both the LEE, and the Lyman. About the only difference in the two, is the Lyman uses standard shell holders that fit most standard presses, and the Lee has their own shell holders for the primer tool. They both work fine.
I started loading when I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska, was hard to find ammo, and the stores in town only carried the most common ammo.
I stopped loading until covid hit, and then ammo prices went thru the roof. When you could find it that is. So I started loading again.
I retired from the US COAST GUARD after 20. Am disabled and on a fixed budget, so it pays to reload. I also have a very understandable wife. That makes it a lot easier.
Thanks for the input and thank you for your service. I ordered the Lee universal deprimer. Should be here in the next few days.

Kodiak must have been a great tour. I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in the late 90s. Now JBRE. That was an amazing assignment. I got to serve as a Military Conservation Officer on base. We were all volunteer. Basically a military game warden. Back in my early 30s. I would do a shift, find out where the fish were biting and then take my son and go fishing after my shift. That and being stationed in CO at Cheyenne Mountain were the best assignments in my career. All downhill after that.

I am also a disabled vet. Retired after 20 in 08. I can say, this has not been a saving money experience for me so far, as I am pretty much getting everything up front and all at once. I am blessed that I am still able to work because I have a job that allows me to work from home and sit in front of a screen.
Old October 25, 2022, 04:21 PM   #31
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I tumble first, then deprime.

I use a vibratory tumbler with dry corncob media. I found that if I deprime first, there's a tendency for bits of media to get caught in the flash hole, necessitating a careful inspection of each case to be sure that hasn't happened -- or a nuisancy probe to clear it when it did happen. Cleaning first removes that issue entirely.
Thanks. I have the corncob media as well as some walnut coming in. Just waiting on my Frankford Arsenal tumbler. I will definitely be inspecting for bits left on the flash hole.
Old October 25, 2022, 04:23 PM   #32
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER View Post
I just read all the answers to all your questions and then some, all excellent information. Have a great time reloading and shooting your own reloads, there are a few other things you will hear about but I think that will come later ie: bullet jump to the lands to name 1, something I find important in my reloads..
Thank you!
Old October 25, 2022, 10:28 PM   #33
cdoc42

Aguila, every time I find a primer hole blocked with corn cob media I ask myself if it really matters, suspecting the intense heat from the primer blast will burn off the corn dot. But my overriding concern has been that the efficiency of the primer may be impaired, leading to an irregularity of the powder ignition and maybe even incomplete burning. But I have not been able to find any information one way or the other. Do you have any thoughts on it?
Old October 26, 2022, 06:56 AM   #34
NHSHOOTER

cdoc42 I have had the same thought myself, I do tumble before sizing and depriming but then I tumble again to remove the case lube, I try to inspect every case but I do think its possible I have missed a few in the years I have been reloading. Havent had a issue yet and I feel the same as you, the primer ignition would burn up that little spec..
Old October 27, 2022, 11:51 AM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

The primer should be able to blow the media granule forward in the case, but that does have the possibility of delaying ignition slightly. When that happens, it requires perfect follow-through to be sure the point of aim doesn't start to move before the shot gets out of the muzzle. Even then, any mechanical disturbance from a trigger slap or hammer fall will have more time to move the gun, so it tends to open groups up. So it might drop a point on a target, that sort of thing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 29, 2022, 08:43 PM   #36
USAF Ret

Well, deprimed and cleaned. Next step, resizing and trimming.

Thanks Shadow9mm for all the great advice.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brass2.jpg (81.8 KB, 111 views)
Old October 31, 2022, 07:47 AM   #37
USAF Ret

Cases sized and trimmed. Started with 6.5 Creedmoor. Trim size is 1.910 with a maximum case length of 1.920. Not too keen on my ability to get cases all uniform right at 1.910, so my cases are averaging between 1.913 - 1.916. Had about 6 cases that were over 1.920 and trimmed them back to 1.915. So, about .003 of tolerance. Out of it all I screwed up one case, trimmed too short trying to figure out the trimming tool. And destroyed the garbage disposal when I was rinsing brass in the sink and one accidentally got away. Wife just laughed at me.
Old October 31, 2022, 12:55 PM   #38
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Well, deprimed and cleaned. Next step, resizing and trimming.

Thanks Shadow9mm for all the great advice.

Happy to help, any time
Old November 1, 2022, 05:19 AM   #39
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Cases sized and trimmed. Started with 6.5 Creedmoor. Trim size is 1.910 with a maximum case length of 1.920. Not too keen on my ability to get cases all uniform right at 1.910, so my cases are averaging between 1.913 - 1.916. Had about 6 cases that were over 1.920 and trimmed them back to 1.915. So, about .003 of tolerance. Out of it all I screwed up one case, trimmed too short trying to figure out the trimming tool. And destroyed the garbage disposal when I was rinsing brass in the sink and one accidentally got away. Wife just laughed at me.
I picked up a cheap plastic colander at the dollar store and set it in the sink to strain the water off and then rinse the brass.
Old November 1, 2022, 07:38 AM   #40
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I picked up a cheap plastic colander at the dollar store and set it in the sink to strain the water off and then rinse the brass.
Well, it was in a strainer. Not sure how one escaped. That's a good idea, though.
Old November 5, 2022, 09:02 PM   #41
USAF Ret

Got my brass primed tonight. 20 rounds of 6.5 CR and 20 of 308. Thanks Shadow 9mm for all the help and suggestions. Hardest part was getting the stupid hand primer set up.

Loading H4350 for the 6.5CR. 10 each incrementally at about 4 grains difference to max with the 130 grain Sierra Gamechanger and 125 grain Nosler Partition.

Varget for 308. Same method with 150 grain Hornady Interlock and 168 grain Hornady A-Max (not in production anymore, but getting stocked up on clearance sales).

Checking velocity on each starting from low to high and will stop at the first sign of over pressure and back down to the previous loading for next step.

Next step will be to take the top 3 loads below max pressure and check for velocity deviation.

Rifles - CVA Cascade 6.5 CR and Christensen Mesa 308.
Old November 6, 2022, 07:44 AM   #42
Shadow9mm

Glad it went smoothly
Old November 6, 2022, 07:58 AM   #43
2wheelwander

No one has mentioned the case prep station. I have one and like it. Its great to scrubbing up primer pockets, deburring necks after resizing. Works quickly, so don't bear down on it. For me, its a great tool. I am not a competition bench shooter but enjoy the hobby

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old November 6, 2022, 09:57 AM   #44
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post
No one has mentioned the case prep station. I have one and like it. Its great to scrubbing up primer pockets, deburring necks after resizing. Works quickly, so don't bear down on it. For me, its a great tool. I am not a competition bench shooter but enjoy the hobby

Never got a case prep station so to speak. Got the hornady 3 slot case prep trio tool. After getting the rcbs tri way cutter for my trimmer i rarely have to deburr anymore. I do use it with a rcbs crimp removal cutter. I tried the primer pocket brushes years back. Found it made no difference for my uses. Dont get me wrong, case prep stations can be great. But i have upgraded over the years where i dont need most of the functions, and not having to debur saves a lot of time.
Old November 7, 2022, 08:39 AM   #45
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post

That's nice ($$$), but I am already maxed out on the tools I have. Maybe in the future.
Old November 7, 2022, 09:11 AM   #46
USAF Ret

Just want to say thank you to the folks who have reached out personally and helped me along. Both with reloading and information on hunting. You know who you are. God Bless you!
Old November 7, 2022, 09:34 AM   #47
stagpanther

I like to say "brass tells the story"--so firing your handload is only part of the story; it's not a bad idea to examine your brass after firing.
Old November 7, 2022, 11:24 AM   #48
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I like to say "brass tells the story"--so firing your handload is only part of the story; it's not a bad idea to examine your brass after firing.
Yes sir, that will be exactly what I will be doing next weekend. Looking at the primer and case for any signs of over-pressure.

Would have been this weekend, but was not able to load powder. I needed my trickler. Looked all over for it. Found it still sitting in the cart at the online store. I never ordered it. It was suggested to use a spoon, but with my arthritis and shaky hands, it might have taken me 10-15 min just to get one powder charge right.
Old November 8, 2022, 06:01 AM   #49
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
It’s also a good idea to examine brass before firing if it’s been previously fired. I use a lot of previously fired brass, and sometimes they’ll have evidence from previous over pressure loads, such as ejector swipe etc. This can be misleading when working up new loads, so I always make sure not to use brass like this when working up a load.
Old November 8, 2022, 08:59 AM   #50
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
It’s also a good idea to examine brass before firing if it’s been previously fired. I use a lot of previously fired brass, and sometimes they’ll have evidence from previous over pressure loads, such as ejector swipe etc. This can be misleading when working up new loads, so I always make sure not to use brass like this when working up a load.
Yeah, I noticed that on one of the Grendel primers from Hornady Black, which runs at a scalding speed for the Grendel. The primer had a crater in it.