The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2015, 06:44 AM   #26
Onward Allusion

Quote:
I'm over 50 now and if it's too danged hot to wear something that conceals my Commander, I just switch to Speedo's and flip flops
Oh man, my eyes are burning.
Old July 22, 2015, 07:33 AM   #27
kraigwy

I carry in the summer just like I do every other day of the year.

A 642 in my pocket.

I'm not a fan of switching methods of carry or gun.
Old July 22, 2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Rob228

I carry a Glock 19 in an IWB holster year round, I can hide it well enough with a T-shirt, the summer weather doesn't really effect it, it only effects how many times a week I take it out of the holster and wipe it down due to sweat.
Old July 28, 2015, 02:26 PM   #29
FlippinHippie

Arkansas summers can be brutal. Often I,m wearing draw string shorts and a tee. Weight is the biggest factor for me. 642 loaded with BB 150 grain full wadcutters weighs exactly 16 oz. Anything heaver tends to sag. Uncle Mikes inside pants size 0. Appendix carry.

I consider the .380 too anemic and the micro 9's too heavy.
Old August 5, 2015, 09:14 PM   #30
StrutStopper

I have no problem concealing a CZ75D PCR wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I have a couple of LC9 variants that I can pocket carry if I need to, or carry IWB, but I have no problem with the double stack 9.
Old August 6, 2015, 01:47 PM   #31
Corrections Cop

I always carry my Glock 26 iwb with a spare mag in a pocket, the setup works great for me no matter the season. Just have a good belt.
Old August 7, 2015, 06:28 AM   #32
Mannlicher

Year round, down in Miami where I live, it is 'summer'. I often carry a .38 S&W 442 in a pocket holster. Same with my little Springfield XDS .45 ACP. Pocket carry works well.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 7, 2015, 12:25 PM   #33
PA32Mark

Pond, James Pond....... You are wearing one t-shirt, tucked in, then your revolver in a IWB holster over that, then a loose, buttoned shirt over that? I often do the same (with a small 9mm at the 4 or 5 o'clock position) and don't even button the shirt. But I am not particularly concerned with someone seeing it in a breeze because, as others have said, most folks walk around oblivious to what goes on around them. Sometimes I do long bike rides in the summer, and for these, an unbuttoned shirt would pose a flapping-in-the-breeze problem, so I just wear a second, slightly looser, bigger and longer t-shirt over the first one. This conceals my gun appropriately without the potential opening in a breeze problem of an unbuttoned (or even buttoned) lightweight shirt.
Old August 7, 2015, 12:51 PM   #34
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I just wear a second, slightly looser, bigger and longer t-shirt over the first one. This conceals my gun appropriately without the potential opening in a breeze problem of an unbuttoned (or even buttoned) lightweight shirt.
This is also an option, although not being so tall (average 5'9") means that wearing an even longer T-shirt could make me look like an Oompa-Loompa.

One reason I am a bit paranoid is that, not being local and Locals not being used to people not being local means I already attract more attention than someone usually would: anything flashed therefore seems more likely to be spotted...
Old August 7, 2015, 02:09 PM   #35
PA32Mark

I am not currently a big fan of the 1 o'clock appendix carry (after seeing a video of an off duty officer involved shooting at a gas station) but I have done it in the past, most typically with a small, shrouded hammer J frame Smith & Wesson .38 revolver. I am also vertically challenged, and the "two t-shirt" method I described in my earlier post does not require a very much larger second (outer) t-shirt in order to adequately conceal a small revolver in an appendix carry.
Old August 21, 2015, 09:25 AM   #36
camsdaddy

Not to get off topic. Please elaborate on this incident regarding the off duty officer
Old August 21, 2015, 09:48 AM   #37
Bartholomew Roberts

Have you considered a pocket holster? Those can be very handy for carrying in light clothing and .38 snubs are popular for that.

You lose your dominant hand pocket space, which is a pain; but another advantage is you can put your hand on your gun without looking aggressive or obvious.

Another option is to go with a polo shirt/golf shirt that is closed at that bottom. Shirt can't blow open if you don't have buttons there.
Old August 21, 2015, 01:59 PM   #38
BlueTrain

Two questions: first, do you look at other people, especially those dressed like yourself, wondering if they're armed? Here I assume that you are at least a little concerned about other armed people. And have you ever noticed, as I have, people clearly overdressed for the climate, like wearing a leather vest--and flashing steel even at that?

Secondly, for "normal" carry, the gun picks up sweat like it was left out in the dew. Has that ever been an issue as far as the gun itself goes?

My other comment is that alternative carry methods, at least for certain circumstances, have proved to be problematic for me, mainly from a speed or fumble standpoint. While for some situations protection and retention of the gun is handgun is important, if it becomes difficult to access, all is lost, even if you didn't lose the pistol. So basically we go back to square one and do everything the same way all the time everywhere, if you follow me.

I am reminded here of a story published probably twenty or thirty years ago in some gun magazine. The writer was talking about the virtues of a stainless steel Colt Officer's ACP. It seems he lost it once up in the mountains when there was snow on the ground. He found it in the spring, though, and the only things corroded were the sights (don't remember if he said anything about the ammunition). Frankly, I'd have been too embarrassed to write about losing a pistol like that. Of course, there are other things I'm embarrassed to write about, too, so I guess we're even.
Old August 21, 2015, 03:00 PM   #39
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Here I assume that you are at least a little concerned about other armed people. And have you ever noticed, as I have, people clearly overdressed for the climate, like wearing a leather vest--and flashing steel even at that?

Secondly, for "normal" carry, the gun picks up sweat like it was left out in the dew. Has that ever been an issue as far as the gun itself goes?
I do give people the "once over" and have only made one guy whose OWB holster was poking out from under his jacket.

As for the gun, the only bit showing signs of sweat rust is the grip screw...
The rest is fine even if some of the bluing is wearing off...
Old August 21, 2015, 04:26 PM   #40
serf 'rett

James - If you would wear a Ulfberht sword on your left hip, no one would notice what was on the other hip.

Have you considered an IWB tuckable style holster? Can wear one with shirt tucked or untucked - polo shirts and tee shirts work well to just drop over the firearm.

On a different note, I have heard of folks attaching lead fishing weights to the lower border of light cover garments with the idea of preventing them from easily blowing open.
Old August 22, 2015, 12:33 AM   #41
egor20

A beater T-shirt and an ugly Hawaiian shirt covers a multitude of sins, and guns.
Old August 22, 2015, 12:57 AM   #42
JimmyR

Pond, I carry a J frame Smith and Wesson, and find that it conceals better than any other weapon I own.

Not knowing your body type, I reccomend you try a holster along the lines of a Crossbreed/Alien Gear style that can be adjusted for ride height and cant.

If that's not possible, I know around here Sticky holsters can be found rather easily, especially on eBay, and are not too expensive ($25). They use the belt's compression to hold in place against the body, while covering most of the firearm to prevent sweat damage. The beauty is that they can be tilted and adjusted to truly complement your body, and make concealment possible.

Your other option, which I am guessing is part of the reason this gun may be uncomfortable, is the exposed hammer spur. If it is still exposed, have you considered taking it to a gunsmith to have it removed, essentially making your revolver a DAO weapon?
Old August 22, 2015, 05:09 AM   #43
erikk

I live in SWFL where it is summer year round. I carry 24/7 .45 ACP 1911's from 3" Kimber to 5 " Wilson along with a Para 16-40 on occasion. The trick is a good gun belt and IWB holster (Armour 1 1/2 belt and Milt Sparks VM2"s) Have no problems with either and none of them print