The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2015, 06:05 PM   #26
1stmar

There are only 6 issues a year for handloader and rifle. I subscribe to both. I will probably renew at least handloader because like you I usually find something worth reading. Shouldn't be hard to find content 6x a year. There is an article on 357/44 Bain (I believe that was the cartridge), I will never reload for it, I will never have a tc contender or whatever they were testing with but I'll read it on the hopes that I may garner something from it, maybe something new to me for reloading or even for shooting. Maybe, maybe not. But by in large I agree most of the articles are not applicable to what I am looking for. I'm ok with that but my expectations are that at least 1 article has value. For me, my hope was with this article, it had relevance to something I was/am considering. Unfortunately I will have to find relevance in another article and hope that they revisit this powder. In the end I get 6 mags a year if 2 of the 6 don't have value, it's not worth keeping. 1/3 just ain't worth it.
Old May 6, 2015, 04:35 AM   #27
Tony Z

In my last post I gave the wrong name for the Wolfe hunting magazine: it is "Successful Hunter" and not "American Hunter" (which is the NRA hunting mag.).

For those that enjoy reading printed material, may I offer the suggestion of searching Amazon for used titles. Many times books, etc. are available for pennies on the dollar (though I doubt you will find "Pet loads"!).
Old May 6, 2015, 09:26 AM   #28
Savage99

No magazine subscriptions any more.

The only magazines I get now are the Rifleman and Am. Hunter with the life memberships to the NRA.

I used to get The Rifle, Handloader, Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, Sailing, Cruising World and more. Now we don't even get a newspaper.

This internet and news TV and radio supplant them.

The local paper is not printed there anymore but in another city for the few who still get it. The building is for sale.
Old May 6, 2015, 01:04 PM   #29
rclark

I really enjoyed Handloader for several years, but now that I have a lot more experience and all the cartridges I shoot have 'pet loads' for them, it doesn't hold the same value as it once did. I do have a subscription to it (the only magazine that I subscribe to), but I probably won't renew and will go back to just buying one that has an article that interests me. This last magazine, for example, had nothing of interest in it. I usually photocopy the articles that are of interest (put in my binder) and then don't keep the mags around as they just take up space. FYI, We don't get the news paper either.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 6, 2015, 05:36 PM   #30
cheygriz

In my last post I gave the wrong name for the Wolfe hunting magazine: it is "Successful Hunter" and not "American Hunter" (which is the NRA hunting mag.).

For those that enjoy reading printed material, may I offer the suggestion of searching Amazon for used titles. Many times books, etc. are available for pennies on the dollar (though I doubt you will find "Pet loads"!).
======================================================================

If you can find them, P.O. Ackley's two volume set:

"handbook for shooter's and reloader's" is hard to beat.
Old May 6, 2015, 05:44 PM   #31
Tony Z

Chezgris: Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it! Those old time shooters did it all with much less than we do today!