The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2014, 12:29 AM   #26
Brotherbadger

Can't wait to see this thing progress.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:42 PM   #27
1stmar

Appreciate the comments. Ranchito, since the shortage I only use one powder! Well one powder for rifle anyway. I agree, cabinets would shrink the space and I will avoid cabinets. Going to have some shelving on walls that are barron and I think a roll away table. Going to Home Depot this weekend look at some storage for power i am going to use plug mold across the benches.

I put a window in to keep the space open and glad I did. I have a lock on the door so the space will be secure. Hoping to start moving in this weekend, if not next for sure. Need paint and electrical before I move in.

Last edited by 1stmar; April 3, 2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:49 PM   #28
Nick_C_S

I'm already way past jealous. It's coming along nice.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:40 AM   #29
1stmar

Thinking of getting two of these with various size bins. I'd use it for brass, bullets, misc items.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Let me know what you guys think.

Powder and primers would be stored on a shelf. Loaded ammo I may store in my safe.
Old April 4, 2014, 11:45 AM   #30
happymachinist

We have the same brand of bins at work. They're pretty darn sturdy. I like the fact that they are self nesting/stackable. We have ours mounted on a couple mobile carts. For brass they'd be more than enough. Bullets I would say use your discretion. The wall hanging unit I have no experience.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:21 PM   #31
Eppie

I'm a bit leery of that kind of stuff because it's always hanging there fighting gravity. With time plastic gets brittle and cracks then you have a mess to cleanup.

I prefer to use inexpensive ziplock or glad containers from Walmart, Target because they are see through and stackable, not fighting gravity. They work really well for bullets because they are so heavy. I cut the label describing the bullet and place it inside the container. If they get brittle noting happens and you get a chance to notice it and replace it when you pick them up.

If they are on a shelf I use 1" masking tape to make labels on the outside of the container.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:28 PM   #32
eldermike

This is making me want to go clean up my reloading/arrow/string building/fly tying room up. I took over a bedroom and it has evolved into a MESS.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:58 PM   #33
Eppie

Here are some bins that I picked up from Harbor Freight for AROUND $10, it was a few years ago. These work well for little parts

Last edited by Eppie; April 5, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 4, 2014, 02:28 PM   #34
1stmar

I currently store all my brass in glad type Tupperware as well as small parts. I was looking for something I could wall mount and organize a bit better. I'm not averse to it, just looking for something a bit more structured.

Any recommendations on the bench? Stain, paint, poly?

Last edited by 1stmar; April 4, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:27 PM   #35
1stmar

Started painting tonight... No laughing... I hate painting. image.jpg
Old April 4, 2014, 09:30 PM   #36
1stmar

Hoping to finish painting tomorrow, but got a bunch of stuff to do. If I can finish around the bench, I'll start moving in presses etc. Went to Home Depot tonight, no good storage. Akro bins look like the way to go so far.

image.jpg
Old April 4, 2014, 10:25 PM   #37
Cheapshooter

Finishing up my room....Finally!!! It's been nothing but an over crowded junk room with boxes of my loading stuff, tools, and who knew what for a long time. Since I finished the rest of the basement 8 or 9 years ago. It's in an "L" section of the basement, and between it, and the finished "Man Cave" is a laundry/storage room. Somehow, as I did the layout of the basement, the wife's laundry room kept growing at the expense of my gun room space. So things are a bit more crowded than I want. But with efficient use of space I got it all in. Ammo shelves, loading bench, casting bench, gun cleaning bench safe, fishing tackle shelf, and I have room to add another safe.
Pics as soon as I can get some.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:27 PM   #38
Eppie

Coming along very nicely and fast....
Old April 4, 2014, 11:34 PM   #39
Metal god

Quote:
No laughing... I hate painting.
lol I've been in construction for 25+ years . Always paint or at least prime everything before you start setting up the reast of the project . That way there's nothing in the way , nothing to cut in around and you can paint a empty room in 2hrs . After you get most of the big stuff in , you just have minor touch up left .

The room is coming along though , looking good

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 5, 2014, 02:07 AM   #40
1stmar

Cheapshooter looking forward to the pics...

I decided to paint the bench to spare it from harsh chemicals, even though I don't plan to clean guns there. I bought some deck paint 10x thickness of paint. Looks almost like an acrylic. Should be easy to clean. Even though it's finally getting warm enough to reload in the garage, I'm anxious to get this finished. Electrician is coming Sunday to give me a quote.

Thanks again for the ideas and comments..
Old April 5, 2014, 09:34 AM   #41
Metal god

If you use or plan to use an electronic scale that plugs in and you have fluorescent lighting . Make sure the scale plugs in to a outlet that in on a different/separate circuit then the lights . I've heard the flicker/pules of the fluorescent lights can fluctuate the draw in the electrical current on the circuit and cause your scale to fluctuate .

I ran a dedicated 20amp circuit to the room to fix this potential problem . I don't use an electronic scale now but if I had the cash to buy one of the high dollar ones I would .

It looks like you have a drop ceiling . I'm not sure of the codes in your area but if he can run the wires in the ceiling for a dedicated circuit that could help avoid putting holes in the walls that need to be repaired . This would have been another thing you do before you start the finish work .

Sorry I did not ask if you were adding any electrical when I first read the thread . I should have gave you a heads up sooner to add boxes and wire in the walls before you closed them up

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 5, 2014, 09:55 AM   #42
Cheapshooter

Part of my hesitation was getting the time to stud, and drywall the room. I decided to just paint the concrete walls. It also gave me another precious foot of space. For the one wall between rooms that was already built using metal studs, and drywall on the storage room side I used a little creativity. On the gun room side I used Hardy Board concrete backer board. Then I filled the screw holes with concrete caulk, and added a few odd shaper dabs here and there. After painting it with the same light grey concrete paint I used on the other walls it blended in, and looks just like the other rough concrete basement walls.
I still need to put a couple outlets in. I have a couple circuits close that I dedicated to that room, and will use conduit, and surface mount outlets by each bench, and one in the area I can add another safe in.
Old April 5, 2014, 10:20 AM   #43
Mike40-11

I use this Harbor Freight bin rack to keep various brass lots sorted.

Had it for 3 or 4 years. Don't recall the exact price but less than $100.
Old April 5, 2014, 10:41 AM   #44
Wreck-n-Crew

Harbor freight is my friend...

Really looks good so far 1stmar. If your better half is like mine, they love watching a man work .... however mine won't brag too much on what I do no matter how nice the work or repair...lol I just tell her she is jealous of my skills
Old April 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #45
1stmar

Just using a plug mold strip so I'm hoping not too much damage. No fluorescents. Painting of the walls is done. Only have the bench and the door left. Will need to do some tour up I'm sure. That rack from harbor freight looks nice and similar to what I'm looking at. Trying to conserve space so looking at the wall units.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:51 AM   #46
Cheapshooter

Have you got an idea of what you will do for the bench? I used the 2X4 Basics workbench kit so I could custom fit it to the space.Really sturdy. I got some 3/4 Lauan Plywood for the top, and shelves. put 3 coats of clear satin poly on it, and painted the 2X4 supports satin black to match the legs.
Lauan Plywood
Old April 5, 2014, 11:56 AM   #47
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Just using a plug mold strip so I'm hoping not too much damage.
For now I have a plugmold strip that I rewired with a 30' cord to reach an unused outlet in the laundry room. Eventually LOL, LOL, I'll get around to doing the wiring. Us 'lectricians kinda have a way of knowing how we can temporary things that just kinda stay permanent 'till we have to do something.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:56 AM   #48
sserdlihc

In the beginning, everyone says, "more room" and "bigger space". When that happens and you do, you end up with other junk in there, that doesn't pertain to reloading.
Old April 5, 2014, 12:45 PM   #49
1stmar

Bench is pretty much done. 2x4 basic with two 1/2" sheets of ply on top. Going to paint it cape cod grey with a paint that is 10x thicker then regular paint. Should be easy to clean. I have the bench mostly laid out in my head. Would like to get a Dillon strong mount or equivalent for my Rebs jr3.

There will undoubtedly be some junk in the room as I don't have a lot of storage in the house. I think the space will be sufficient. Will use as much of the wall space as I need to.

Last edited by 1stmar; April 5, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old April 5, 2014, 05:31 PM   #50
Cheapshooter

OK, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
The room is 9 1/2 X 11 1/2 feet.

20X46 loading bench

Casting bench made from a steel two drawer storage unit that used to be in a supermarket video department to stor the VCR tapes! LOL, remember them?
I screwed 1 1/4 pipe flanges to the bottom, and made legs from 1 1/4 black pipe. Painted everything to match the black of the loading bench. Also a wooden dolly underneath so I don't have to break my back dragging casting alloy, wheelweights, and scrap lead out.

Gun cleaning/work bench.