The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 11, 2024, 10:08 AM   #1
AL45

Cheap bore sighters

Are inexpensive boresighter any good? I just put a red dot on a .454 casull, and even though I reload, I don't want to waste ammo trying to sight it in.I also don't want to spend much money on a boresighter since I will rarely use it.
Old May 11, 2024, 11:00 AM   #2
tangolima

Pull the target close to get it on paper. Adjust and push the target farther. I don't need no gadget.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2024, 12:27 PM   #3
AL45

A rifle is easy, but for me, a pistol is a little more unsteady with my wrists resting over a sand bag and I don't own a ransom rest. I was thinking I could lock the gun in a wood vice and using a boresighter, get it close enough. Obviously I wouldn't be firing the gun in the vice. Your idea of shooting at close targets and gradually moving back does make sense. How close would you recommend to start with?
Old May 11, 2024, 12:56 PM   #4
tangolima

You will really have to try hard to miss a 24"x24" target at 5yd or even at 10yd.

Before start, you have to figure out click value and adjustment directions of your optics. If it doesn't click , the moa per turn on the adjustment. Then you need to be able to calculate the moa at the target distance.

For example 2" off at 5yd is 40moa. 16moa per turn requires 2 and half turns to correct. It would be a bit of frustration to start, mostly caused by incorrect calculations and adjustment directions. But think about this, you still have to do it eventually even with the laser gadgets. Once you get a hang of it, it is really no magic.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 11, 2024, 05:55 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

every one I bought was a waste of money.