The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 7, 2024, 10:02 PM   #1
baddarryl

Have I damaged my Garand?

When I first got a Service Grade about 10 years ago my first 200 rounds were Greek surplus from the CMP. I didn't know anything about corrosive ammo and water so I have always cleaned it with CLP. I haven't noticed any degradation in accuracy. I have since put 400 rounds of new Seller and Bellot though it and cleaned after every range trip.

Have I harmed it in any way and is there anything I should do now? Thank you!'
Old April 7, 2024, 11:17 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I thought the Greek Surplus was non-corrosive?
Old April 8, 2024, 01:56 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

The issue with corrosive primed ammunition is that the priming compound leaves chemical salts behind, everywhere the powder gas contacts. These salts attract water out of the air, and hold it against the steel, which causes rust.

Sometimes, really bad rust rather quickly.

Cleaning with solvents that do not contain water does not dissolve the salts well, if at all. Cleaning with water (or something with water in it, like Windex) does dissolve and flush out the salts. But it is water, so you have to clean again with something that displaces the water (regular gun solvent and oil).

Check your gun, carefully. If there is no rust, I'd say you haven't harmed it.
Old April 8, 2024, 05:16 AM   #4
jcj54

Greek Surplus M2 Ball

From the CMP is non corrosive. Tha Garand ammo made by PPU is non corrosive. US commercial M2 Ball equivalent is non corrosive. US military .30-06 made before 1955 is corrosive. 1950's era PMC Korean surplus. 30-06 is corrosive.
Corrosive primed ammo fired and left uncleaned overnight will rust a bore, if you pay careful attention to the ammo you use you should have no problem.
Old April 8, 2024, 01:33 PM   #5
MC 1911

If it was 10 years ago,it's a little late to worry about it & issues would have shown up long ago..
Old April 11, 2024, 04:40 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

Greek surplus M1 ammo is some of the best. More accurate than the most of the Lake City I have shot and is not corrosive. I believe most of the HXP ammo that was through CMP was from the 1960s-1970s. Great stuff.
Old April 11, 2024, 08:42 PM   #7
Nathan

Just keep shooting it. Clean with water now if you are concerned.
Old April 17, 2024, 07:16 PM   #8
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddarryl View Post
When I first got a Service Grade about 10 years ago my first 200 rounds were Greek surplus from the CMP. I didn't know anything about corrosive ammo and water so I have always cleaned it with CLP. I haven't noticed any degradation in accuracy. I have since put 400 rounds of new Seller and Bellot though it and cleaned after every range trip.

Have I harmed it in any way and is there anything I should do now? Thank you!'
IF - you shot 200 rounds of corrosive ammo ten years ago, and never properly cleaned it?

You'd be picking up that rifle with a dust pan.

1. HXP is non-corrosive.
2. Shooting non-corrosive ammo will dislodge most/all of the salt left behind by corrosive ammo.

Rest easy.

Red
Old April 18, 2024, 11:32 AM   #9
tangolima

I have a few milsurp rifles that most certainly saw actions during 2 world wars, firing corrosive ammunition. Pretty sure they were not cleaned with water anything right after action, if at all. They are still in pretty good shape. Corrosive ammo has higher chance to cause rusting, but it may not always.

AK-47 are known to last forever, right? The ammo Vietcong used during Vietnam war was corrosive. If it is that bad, AK wouldn't be considered so rugged.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 18, 2024, 11:44 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

If you clean right after shooting, clean everything thoroughly and clean the bore back to bare metal and then get all the metal oiled then it doesn't matter what you clean with.

I got a bunch of corrosive pistol ammo years ago at a really low price and shot a bunch of it. Then one time I couldn't get the pistol cleaned right after shooting and found out the stuff was corrosive. Up until then I had cleaned it immediately after getting home from the range, cleaned the bore to bare metal and then wiped on a very thin layer of a good CLP over the whole gun. No problems at all until I didn't clean immediately after shooting.
Old April 19, 2024, 12:01 PM   #11
Mike40-11

The Greek HXP is definitely non-corrosive. I've shot a couple thousand rounds of it through Garands, 03s and 1917s. Headstamps 68-72. Complete non-issue.

Great brass by the way, some of mine is on it's 5th loading.
Old April 20, 2024, 12:17 PM   #12
tangolima

I believe CMP only sells non-corrosive ammo.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk