The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2022, 01:34 PM   #1
mrappe

Loads for 6.5 mm Swedish Mauser

I have a m/1896 Swedish Mauser that was made in 1902 that is in excellent condition and it has always been very accurate using the surplus ammo that I bought several years ago. I have not ever loaded this cartridge before and would like to replicate the performance that I get from the 140 gn ammo that I have been shooting a much as possible within the ability to find components . I found some Sierra 140 gn BTHP and some Prvi Partizan Brass 6.5x55 and have not decided what powder to use. If anyone has experience loading this cartridge for this rifle I would appreciate any advice.

Mike
Old October 11, 2022, 02:46 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

IMR 4320 has always worked well for me in the Swede.
Old October 11, 2022, 03:25 PM   #3
hooligan1

If you can find some RL 22 that and IMR 4451 are really good in my little Swede..
Old October 11, 2022, 03:33 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Reloder 22 is what you want. It is available periodically. I bought 5 lb last week
Old October 11, 2022, 04:37 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

According to Hodgdon, IMR 4451 (and all the other Enduron powders) and also IMR 4320 are discontinued, so you'd have to find old stock for those and probably would not want to invest a lot of time and effort developing loads for them since you may never be able to get any more. Looking at their table for the 140-grain Speer soft point, 41.0–45.0 grains of IMR 4350 is a good choice. That's what I have used, and it has been fine.

Alliant has separate loads for commercial and military 6.5×55. For the latter, for maximum velocities, they recommend Reloader 23, which adds temperature stability and a de-coppering agent to what Reloader 22 does. With the 140-grain Sierra SBT in a Federal case at 2.93" COL, they list 41.4 grains as the maximum load of Reloader 23. With the Hornady SST in a Federal case at 2.91" COL, it is 43.6 grains max. With the Remington 140-grain SP in a Remington case at 3.0" COL, it is 40.0 grains max. Starting loads will all be 10% below those numbers. I mentioned the other bullets and cases just to show the load limits can vary significantly with bullet shape and cases. All three of those used a Federal 210 primer.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 12, 2022, 05:59 AM   #6
ligonierbill

Another powder to consider is IMR-7828. I have been loading primarily 130 SGK for my rebarreled '98 Mauser, and it runs almost identically to Re-22 in this application. Using the "super short cut" version.

It has been some time since I had my M96 out, but when I do it's strictly paper with 142 SMK over a modest charge of Re-22. I don't stress my 1903 girl.

I have not tried Reloder 23 yet. QL says it's close but not the same as 22. In other applications of Re-22, IMR-4955 has done well for me, but as Unclenick notes, that entire Enduron line has been discontinued.
Old October 29, 2022, 06:27 AM   #7
hooligan1

I just received 50 new cases from Nosler, Id better get them dudes primed before my son uses what Large rifle primers we have left...
Old October 29, 2022, 08:16 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

Some 30+ years back I used both RL22 and H4831 to work up loads for my daughter's M96. At the time the 140gr AMax had just come on the market and that was the best shooter from everything I tried. Being it was purposed as a match bullet, I was told by Hornady that it would not work for hunting. Being the velocities were only running at most in the high 2500's, I went ahead with performance testing on a large feral hog population at a friend's place.

After several months of testing and a half ton of hogs on the ground and careful autopsies we went forth with deer as well. Since shots on them were only in the 50-75yd range they performed awesome.

At some point I picked up a box of the factory Privi 139gr SP's. Amazingly they shot clover leaf groups out to 150yds. I was so impressed I picked up another dozen boxes of the same lot. My intention was to pick up some of the component bullets to load, but after reading reviews and talking to a few folks who had purchased them I'm a bit hesitant. Seems the diameter's range from just over caliber to under enough to fall in a fully sized case.

We are now looking at the Sierra 130 gr Tipped Game King. Hoping to start working on some loads before the end of the year. Good luck with your's and just keep in mind for hunting you're not going to be hitting any high velocities so keep ranges limited or use something that will reliably expand at slower velocities.
Old October 29, 2022, 03:51 PM   #9
tangolima

I'm also starting to load 6.5mm swedish. Don't get choose components that are the best, but whatever I have. Just surprised to learn how expensive 6.5mm projectiles have become. Good that I bought a bunch at very good price from a local forum member.

Coworker from Sweden served in the air force decades ago. They had the mauser, probably the carbine versions, for marksmanship training. He still remembers how well they shot. Funny thing he didn't know they had Ljunman rifles.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2022, 07:55 PM   #10
FITASC

When I had my 1907 Swede, I found a moderate charge of 3031 with a Sierra 120SPT gave me very good groupings. Other moderate powder similar to 3031 also gave decent groupings. I used Norma brass and only necked sized
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 30, 2022, 06:11 PM   #11
hooligan1

140 grn SBT

I have two different manuals loads that I tested this weekend, one has a low max because they used an old Mauser to do test from while the other manual said they use a test barrel, ( I think Pacnor, could be lilja)
and they had a 3 grn higher max.
The rifle Im shooting these loads from is an old Carl Gustov action with a 1:8" twist 20" barrel, ( Douglas) and it prefered the higher max.
I want to note that there never was any sign of pressure in these test... Norma brass, CCI Large rifle. Primer and rl 22.

Last edited by hooligan1; October 31, 2022 at 12:28 PM.