The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2022, 03:03 PM   #26
Sevens

Quote:
Wish they made them much earlier, as wired chrono's work but are a pain to set up and use if more than one person on the range.
I do not have one and have not used one, however it has been said that the LabRadar being a doppler unit can and will pick up OTHER gun shots if they are near you, so it seems to me that you don't (necessarily?) solve the problem of having others at the range by using the LabRadar. The other complaints I read is that it is an extreme battery sucker, so throw more money at rechargeable batteries and that it really needs a case to protect it. For the high price to play, I think those should be included but... "business is business."

MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy.
Old October 27, 2022, 04:17 PM   #27
MarkCO

Quote:
MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy
Just need a little bit of workmanship skills and thought. I built a pistol rest for my Magneto speed. I have a few rectangular pieces of plastic that go in a slot to raise, or lower the muzzle w.r.t. the sensor. Turn the sensitivity up to 9, and I can pick up shots a good 1/2" above the blade with handguns.
Old October 28, 2022, 08:23 AM   #28
kilotanker22

I use my Labrador for rifle, pistol and archery. It is really nice for archery. Being able to track the speed of my arrows downrange helps to predict performance on game.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old October 28, 2022, 10:07 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I use a CED Millennium and it works very well.

HOWEVER -- it requires setting up the skyscreens on a tripod 15 feet in front of the firing line, and running the umbilical cord back to the control box at the firing line. I doubt that any public or military range will take the range "cold" for the ten or fifteen minutes it requires to set all that up when there are other shooters there who want to shoot.

For the OP's situation, I think a chrono device of a type that reads from the firing line or from the gun barrel is a better solution.
Jeepaholic
Old October 29, 2022, 10:18 AM   #30
USAF Ret

Ordered the MagnetoSpeed now that I have my reloading stuff. Getting exciting.
Old October 29, 2022, 04:12 PM   #31
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I do not have one and have not used one, however it has been said that the LabRadar being a doppler unit can and will pick up OTHER gun shots if they are near you, so it seems to me that you don't (necessarily?) solve the problem of having others at the range by using the LabRadar. The other complaints I read is that it is an extreme battery sucker, so throw more money at rechargeable batteries and that it really needs a case to protect it. For the high price to play, I think those should be included but... "business is business."

MagnetoSpeed will never be an option for me as I'm basically a 97% handgun guy.
The beam width of the Labradar is not wide enough to pick up projectiles from other firing lanes, provided no one is aiming across lanes. What can happen is that the Labradar microphone will trigger off of a shot from an adjacent lane and start it's detection sequence; then it may not detect your shot if you fire before it resets. The battery issue can be a problem if you need to collect a large number of data points, I've had acceptable results using lithium batteries and placing the unit on standby between strings.
Old October 29, 2022, 04:15 PM   #32
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Ordered the MagnetoSpeed now that I have my reloading stuff. Getting exciting.
Excellent! Post a report when you get some experience using the Magnetospeed.
Old October 29, 2022, 05:13 PM   #33
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverGunFan View Post
Excellent! Post a report when you get some experience using the Magnetospeed.
Will do!