The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2016, 08:59 AM   #26
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge
Since the virtual end of USGI surplus parts, I've been using Wilson Factory Plus parts for basic service-grade replacements. IMO their sears etc. are substantially better than what you find in low-end Springfields.
Agreed on the quality. And, since even their "value plus" ignition parts are MIM, I'm pretty certain the "factory plus" parts are also MIM. I've never had a problem with them.
Old November 4, 2016, 08:27 PM   #27
Gunslick

Correct both are MIM.
Old November 6, 2016, 11:08 PM   #28
Gunslick

Got Em!

Okay I got the set. Will be posting pictures tomorrow on what I do. This is a very very polished sweet looking set, John installed the hammer strut which was nice of him, filing on the thumb safety now but gonna give it a break and finish tomorrow. Ill post pictures tomorrow of this awesome set before it goes into the gun. One thing I really like about this medium bow trigger I bought from Harrison is that the take-up stop is set in there and I am filing on that tonight as well. I'm gonna fit it to have just a little bit of take-up, but thus far everything seems to be fitting well, also I have these pins I made that I insert on the outside of the frame so I can actually see how the sear and hammer are engaging. I figured this would save some time.
Old November 7, 2016, 09:23 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslick
... filing on the thumb safety now but gonna give it a break and finish tomorrow. Ill post pictures tomorrow of this awesome set before it goes into the gun.
If you haven't installed the new parts yet, why are you filing on the thumb safety and how do you know where to file and how much? The thumb safety has to be fitted to the hammer and sear when they are installed in the gun. You may already have filed too much -- be sure to run all safety checks after to install the new parts.
Old November 7, 2016, 01:16 PM   #30
Gunslick

Im sorry let me correct my correct myself. I have put the ignition set it to fit the thumb safety its not going to take much off. Im filing on the part that uh needs to be filed on. Thumb safety shaft fit perfect, slot where safety slides up and down in frame fit tight but well only part needing filing is the lug that bumps the sear.
Old November 7, 2016, 08:31 PM   #31
Gunslick

My Progress so far..

So I have functioned check the ignition set, it was not drop in but in terms of the sear angles it most certainly was, John was nice enough to install hammer strut but the hammer strut pin protruded ever so slightly so I took my sharpy and an hour of time and a small flat file and filed it almost flush, finishing up on 2500 grit sand paper and a block and that took care of that. I pretty much installed ignition set and adjusted sear spring bought from John, all safety checks check out with the exception of the thumb safety for I haven't fit that part yet, but very happy so far. Am going to take my time on this and should have it up and running Saturday and will give you a range report at that time.