The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2016, 08:47 AM   #1
litenite99

dillion xl 650

i recently bought a dillion 650 and I was hoping some of you may be able to help me out with it. I am use to loading on a RCBS rockchucker for all my ammo including pistol ammunition. I bought the dillion and set it up per the instructions. the only thing i have done different is i used the hornady dies i already had for 9mm. now everything works great on it except im used to having a very consistant oal with my single stage and the dillion for some reason has about .008-.009 of variation in oal. can i do something to make it a little more consistant or is that just the trade off for having a progressive press?
Old March 21, 2016, 09:35 AM   #2
jmorris

Are you using the same components, bullets/brass?

Also, setup and run the machine with the shell plate full and make sure you are running against the stop on the handle down (ram up) stroke.
Old March 21, 2016, 09:45 AM   #3
9x45

Check Brianenos.com under Dillon Reloading. First check the shell plate, then make sure the press is solid and not rocking around, even by the slightest bit. All Dillons should hold about +/- .004" with all stations full.
Old March 21, 2016, 09:49 AM   #4
litenite99

jmorris i am pretty sure i am running it against the stop. I will pay more attention to that for my next batch of bullets. Also i am using the same components i have always used mixed brass and berrys 124gr round nose bullets. I just was concerned about this mostly because i seat my 9mm to 1.142 and i was getting bullets with an oal from 1.136 to 1.150.
Old March 21, 2016, 12:57 PM   #5
BigJimP

My hunch is your shell plate is not tight enough...if you press down on the shell plates ( as is ) ...if it moves at all...then you didn't get the bolt in the center down far enough. Hold the plate down tight with your fingers ...and tighten the bolt with your fingers all the way down...-- and then back it off just a hair ...and tighten the set screw on the side of the shaft...and check the indexing and make sure its indexing smoothly.

If all else fails ...call Dillon...
Old March 23, 2016, 08:19 AM   #6
litenite99

it seems like the shell plate was loose.... It has a slight wobble when i pressed down on it. I have it right now i think.....it has about 1/10 of a turn worth of adjustment from just right to wobbling or to tight.
Old March 23, 2016, 08:52 AM   #7
9x45

The shell plate is held in by a shoulder bolt so there is clearance for the plate to rotate. However there are a couple of tricks you can use to get it to be more consistent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBLEmn1A-qY

http://hitfactorshooting.com/products/products.html