The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 22, 2013, 04:47 AM   #1
Fox.cody

460 s&w 7.5" holster

So I recently acquired a .460 smith x frame 7.5" barrell performance center 1 of 500 made. Problem being I can't find a scoped holster let alone any holster for this firearm any suggestions, will an 8.5 inch work anyone else own one?
Old July 22, 2013, 06:19 AM   #2
BoogieMan

I have the 8-3/8" variation. The best deal I have found on a holster is right from S&W at $69.95. I cant think of any reason a holster thats 7/8" longer holster would not work. Your other options are to have one made ($$$$$) or try a holster designed for another large revolver like maybe the Redhawk. My problem is that no one carries anything like this around me. I have to internet order and deal with returns and cost of returns to even put my hands on one.
Old July 22, 2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Fox.cody

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. And I work so much I've swallowed a few things I've bought online that didn't work because I have no time to return them I guess I'll cave and buy the Galco kodiak hunter for it worst comes to worst ill just have to jimmy rig it to accommodate the firearm. I thought my encore holster would work the the 460 cylinder makes it uncomfortable to carry in it. And to clarify I'm looking for a chest rig for hunting.
Old July 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Holsters for large/scoped revolvers....

For a X frame or hunting type DA revolver, Id check these websites;
www.bianchi-intl.com , www.usgalco.com , www.lawmanleathergoods.com .
The HuSH rig from Bianchi can do well. It can be a belt holster too.
Many handgun hunters & scoped revolver owners like the Simplyrugged.com models.
Mernickle Holsters are good too but Im not sure if they'd fit a large X frame.

NOTE; Some firms like Lawman Leathers or Simply Rugged may take a long time to process a holster order, contact the shop before you buy anything to be clear on times/prices/styles.

Clyde F
Old July 22, 2013, 12:45 PM   #5
newfrontier45

Quote:
Your other options are to have one made ($$$$$)...
I think you'll find that quite often, custom leather is comparable or even less than off the shelf stuff. Bianchi and Galco are not a very good value, IMHO. What makes finding a holster difficult in your case is the scope. There are simply not many options available for any scoped handgun. I might try Simply Rugged and see if Rob can do you a Chesty Puller for your sixgun. He does list the X-frame on his chart.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/gun-model-chart/
Old July 22, 2013, 09:08 PM   #6
paralaska

I own 2 Ruger Super Redhawks and have holsters from here:
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/ Outstanding quality and function. The guide model is just the thing for a long large framed revolver . . .

Tags
460 , big bores , magnum , smith and wesson