The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
p5200

Rcbs 9mm dies question

The only dies I can get local are the RCBS and was just wondering if they produce some pretty accurate rounds I'm speaking of the normal three die sets. Thanks!
Old December 1, 2011, 11:43 AM   #2
engineermike

I don't think you will be disappointed with the RCBS dies but have you tried Ebay or Amazon? There are a few mail order suppliers such as Graf and Sons, Midway, Midsouth shooters, Wideners, Cabela's and a few others. Graf's is probably the cheapest on shipping but during the holidays some offer free shipping if you order enough merchandise.
Old December 1, 2011, 12:47 PM   #3
caz223

If you're loading ammo single stage, RCBS is what the majority of people use, if I had to guess.
I have a RCBS 9mm carbide die set, and it produces fine ammo, although I learned to set it up differently than 'normal'.
I also have redding, dillon, lee, and the modified lee dies made for EGW.
I think most 9mm dies size too far down the case.
If you look closely at the finished rounds they look different from factory ammo.
More like 'coke bottles'. I know they are supposed to be tapered, but certain configurations really exaggerate the differences, like lead bullets, 147 grain JHPs, especially paired with Lee's carbide factory crimp die.
I've experimented with all sorts of standard and non-standard configurations including 38 spl dies, multiple steps, tried different expanders, undersizing and oversizing, creating, covering up, and solving all sorts of unnecessary problems, real and imagined.

I like the new style dillon dies the most, but that's obviously from a progressive reloader's standpoint.
Bottom line if you're loading 9mm on a single stage press, almost any dies will turn out good ammo if you're making standard ammunition. When you try to solve problems by changing something, you make another problem. Pretty soon you don't know if the problems are solved, covered up, or a result of equipment, setup, or operator error.
RCBS dies are fine, as are Lee, and all the major brands.
None are perfect for every situation, but they all work fine for most normal reloader's needs.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:30 PM   #4
dunerjeff

RCBS is a good company,one of the best customer service,you won't go wrong with them.Hornady is my next favorite,their seater has a drop down follower for truing up the bullets,I wish all mfg would go that route.If you can order online ,you can pick and chose what you need out of all the brands.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
briandg

rcbs and forstner dies are the best I've ever used. The price of Rcbs is not that much more than any of the other brands. When you are committing to a lifetime of use for that set of dies, what the heck difference does a few dollars make? buy the best.
Old December 1, 2011, 01:58 PM   #6
engineermike

When ordering your dies, unless you want a set with a roll crimp (In the seater die) you may want to be sure your set comes with a taper crimp seater die. You may not want to crimp your loads but in case you do you may want to use a taper crimp on them not a roll crimp. My Hornady 9mm dies came with a roll crimp and later I had to buy the taper crimp separately. I understand they now (maybe they did back when I bought mine I just didn't know it) offer sets with either crimp.

Mike
Old December 1, 2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Tim R

What? you kidding me? You mean there are other dies? I prefere RCBS carbides over some of the others for pistol. Would agree RCBS and Forester as top choices.
Old December 1, 2011, 11:24 PM   #8
dunerjeff

Shhhhh,ok, no more talk of other dies,the "fanclub" may crash the perty.