The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2010, 09:42 PM   #1
James H

First time sharptail hunting

I think I'm going to finally get out for the first time this year sharptail hunting on some walk-in-areas N of Cheyenne WY on Thursday. It'll be the first time sharptail hunting and I was wondering how easy they are to mistake for hen pheasants.

I've got 20 yrs bird hunting experience (waterfowl, ruffed/blue grouse, chukars, quail) but I've only been pheasant hunting a few times (once was a week-long trip to SD in 2005!!! ...Awesome!! one of the best bird hunting trips I've been on) and never been shartptail hunting, though I've seen them before, but never flushing.

I'm good at recognizing differences in birds...in highschool I could tell the difference between most ducks in Wisconsin in flight from 200 yds away...so I'm not too worried about this. And I've never had an itchy trigger finger. Just wondered what all you birdhunters thought about this. Tails would be the best thing to look for, right? And overall length and wingspan? (Pheasants being bigger). Maybe lighter color from underneath with sharptails?

By the way...anyone hear the forecast or been out after sharptails in E WY this year?

Last edited by James H; October 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more info
Old October 13, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2
birdshot

my experiences

this late in the season sharptail become wary. they flush early and fly far. I hunt with pointers and usually quit pursuing the PC by the end of september, and wait for days of snow cover to start again. they will likely flush well before you get into range, watch them land, then try to circle around to come at them with the wind in your face. PC can hear your approach. they don't bury in heavy cover so they will see you coming. if terrain or cover allows, screen your approach. they are easy to kill, but bigger shot size will give you some extra range. Don't over cook.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #3
FALacy

^Prarie chicken =/= sharptail
Old October 15, 2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Scorch

Sharptail grouse have shorter, squarish tails, and their legs are feathered to the toes. Coloration is more contrasting, being very light below and mottled brown/white above (hen pheasants are mottled brown on tan over their whole body). Sharptails are about 2/3 the size of a hen pheasant.

And no, sharptail grouse and prairie chickens are not the same thing. Closely related, but not the same. But they all seem to get called "fool hens" just the same. Makes me wonder who the fools are . . .
Old October 15, 2010, 01:47 AM   #5
James H

Thanks Scorch...I thought they were different. We've only got sharptails in WY...no prairie chickens. Didn't make it out today. Going Friday for at least the morning.