The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
R.Lynn

FMJ or JHP?

I am looking to make a big(for me) bullet purchase from montana gold.

Is there any difference in FMJ or JHP in accuracy. I was thinking of ordering the JHP for a change?

If I choose to go with the JHP, whats a good OAL for 115 gr?
Old April 26, 2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

OAL is unique to the bullet design. Depends how wide they made it. It is usually adjusted by ability to feed, though if your bullet has a cannelure for the crimp, and that will fix the length for you.

JHP will likely seat a little deeper than RN FMJ. That will increase pressure for a given charge. You will need load data developed with it or with another bullet of the same weight that seats the same depth into the case.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 26, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
FMJ or JHP?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to make a big(for me) bullet purchase from montana gold.

Is there any difference in FMJ or JHP in accuracy. I was thinking of ordering the JHP for a change?

If I choose to go with the JHP, whats a good OAL for 115 gr?
I shoot indoors so I prefer CMJ-RN (encapsulated) or JHP's. Since Montana Gold's JHP bullets are so closely priced to their CMJ lineup, I usually go with the JHP design since they tend to group a little tighter for me. With the right load, the 115 @ OAL of 1.10 is a tack driver.
Old April 26, 2009, 09:46 PM   #4
R.Lynn

D.Manley,

What's your right load with the 115 JHP from Montana gold?
Old April 26, 2009, 11:14 PM   #5
D. Manley

Quote:
What's your right load with the 115 JHP from Montana gold?
It's a very good bullet and shoots very well with a lot of different loads. In my guns, the below are my favorites. None are maximum loads but as always, use safe reloading practices. All loads with this bullet were loaded at the 1.10 OAL using Winchester or Federal SPP, .377 crimp. For comparison, the load range posted provided me very good groups with 115 XTP's and Montana Gold (posted in bold). It could just be me or my guns but the MG HP's seem to like a little more "zip" on them than do copper jacketed. I shoot the first 3 a lot more...although accurate, I don't care much for Power Pistol shooting indoors.

4.8/5.0 Grains Vihta Vuori N-330
5.3/5.5 Grains Winchester WSF
5.4/5.9 Grains Ramshot Silhouette
6.0/6.4 Grains Alliant Power Pistol