The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 6, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
sidaemon

Need help with a gold engraved Ruger Red Label

I tried posting in the collectables area, and then I realized that the people surfing this board may be a better group of folks to ask, so let me first say sorry for the double post!

Hey guys, I have a friend who is looking to get rid of a shotgun that she won in a raffle. She's had the shotgun for 15 years now and is looking to unload.

The shotgun is a Pheasants Forever Custom Engraved 1 of 1 Ruger Red Label over and under 12 gauge shotgun. The shotgun is engraved in gold, and is a beautiful piece of work, but she has no idea of the value or a good direction to look in while selling it.

Pictures of it can be found at:
http://www.grandephotography.com/Pho...SherriShotgun/

Does anyone have a good idea of the item's worth, or does anyone have a good idea of someone she could contact to get some information? Thanks for the help, zac.

Last edited by sidaemon; April 6, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old April 6, 2009, 08:44 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is only worth a hunert bux but I will give 'er $200 fer it...
Seroiusly I have no clue on value but in new or little used value I would sell a no longer needed nu... body part to own it... 1 of 1 means something, even to this ol' mossberg lovin' redneck! Good luck! I will watch this thread!
Brent
Old April 6, 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
sidaemon

Thanks for that last post because I missed an important bit of information. The shotgun is unfired. Not one round... ever. My wife did the pictures for it, and I have to say it is a beautiful thing...

Thanks for the help guys, zac.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Waterengineer

The webpage link is broken
Old April 6, 2009, 09:49 PM   #5
sidaemon

Pics at: http://www.grandephotography.com/Pho...SherriShotgun/
Sorry, bad copy and paste job. The link takes you to my website directory where there are about 20 pics of the shotgun.

Thanks for pointing out the broken link! zac.
Old April 7, 2009, 01:29 AM   #6
ddeyo1

suggested retail for a factory engraved (not 1 of 1, just plain old factory engraving) red label is 2180.00. An unfired pheseants forever engraved model will go for at least that im sure.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...s&type=Shotgun
Old April 7, 2009, 01:30 AM   #7
ddeyo1

and after looking at ur pictures id say you could probobly throw in some extra change for the high grade walnut too. hope that helped a wee bit.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
sidaemon

Sure, that helps, thanks a lot, zac.
Old April 7, 2009, 11:27 AM   #9
BigJimP

There are collector items / that never get shot / nice to look at if you are into collectables. Items specially engraved like from Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, the NRA, etc ...and there are a lot of them out there.

There are very nice shotguns that get shot a lot ( upper end Brownings, Beretta, Blazer, Perazzi - retailing for $ 3,000 - $8,000 ) and lots of them around. Not custom built - but higher end guns / last for many generations / and some of the better Target grade guns. Many target shooters consider a gun under $5,000 to be a nice gun / but a modest investment in their hobby.

The base line here, in my opinion, is the gun. A Ruger - is a decent gun - not a high end gun. Ruger is not known for its real long term durability in terms of over 50,000 shells and still going strong. A plain Ruger is about a $ 900 gun out of the box - maybe listing for $900 - $1,100 depending on the model.

In my opinion: To a "Ruger shotgun collector" - this gun may be very special / and might demand in the $2,000 price range. To somebody that just likes the engraving - and will never shoot it - something around $ 1,250 - $1,500 maybe. To somebody that wants it - and will shoot it a little - even 8 or 10 boxes thru it - its may be a $1,250 gun / and the minute they put one shell thru that barrel - its value will go down to maybe $ 750 - $1,000. If they shoot it at all - its loses its collectability - and becomes something of a novelty - but not a gun they would take to the gun club on a regular basis.

Raffle prizes like this - are really tough to sell - unless somebody just likes the way it looks / wants to mount it on a wall or something as a keepsake. It is a pretty gun / but I'm sorry to say it just isn't that valuable - except to a very unique collector.