The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 30, 2009, 11:48 PM   #1
Amber

Extremely worried!!! Please help..Specially Doctors

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post after my introduction post.
I am extremely worried and i need your opinions as possiable. I made a huge mistake.
A friend of mine gave me a bag full of gun cleaning supplies to let me clean a couple of guns and see what works better for me. Since i am new to all this shooting and gun care and don't know much about these things. Anyway as i brought the bag inside my home i guess its then that a box of "Clenzoil- 1 step sloution" (a cleaner. lubricant, protectant) fell out of the bag. Since i was carrying this big bag of cleaners and all the gun care stuff, and some other bgas as well (groceries, shoes, clothes, toys for my nephews and neices) i didn't notice that this little box fell out of the bag. I hadn't even opened this bag yet so i didn't know what things were inside the bag and i had never seen this "clenzoil" box before.
Anyway a couple of hours later i saw my 8 month old nephew licking the top of a small, black box (thank God the lid was still on it). I took it from him and rfead what it was and then i found out that it was a gun cleaner. I didint know if he had tasted any of that cleaner so to find out i myself licked around the sides of the box to see if there ahd been any cleaner on it, cuz the box had been open many times before and there had to be some cleaner at the sides of the box. I did find a somewhat strange sort of taste. Now i am worried about my nephew that he might have tasted some of it and i hope it doesnt have any bad effects on his health. If there are any doctors here or anyone who has had any experience with this cleaner please help me. I am scared to death and don't know what to do right now. I will take him to a doctor as soon as i can meanwhile i thought i'd ask you gentlemen and ladies for help. Please Help!!

Please tell me he's not in any danger!

PLEASE READ POST #4 ON THIS THREAD BEFORE RESPONDING.

Last edited by JohnKSa; April 4, 2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added note.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Nnobby45

You should be calling the nearest hospital ER. They usually have a Dr. on call to deal with matters just like yours. Makes more sense than asking for medical advice on the Gunsmith section of a gun forum.
Have the bottle ready when you call them so you can read them the ingredients.

I could tell you that the little fellow isn't in any danger, but since I've never studied medicine, why would you ask me?

Last edited by Nnobby45; March 31, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:29 AM   #3
Casimer

Here's the Texas Poison Center Network - http://www.poisoncontrol.org/
You can call them 24hrs a day at 1-800-222-1222 - that's the national hotline, which is used by all of the local centers that are part of the PCC network.

I'd do that ASAP.

Clenzoil is listed with Turpentine in Dreisbach's handbook of poisoning

http://books.google.com/books?id=8jM...search_s&cad=0

Last edited by Casimer; March 31, 2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Amber

In my haste i failed to mention that i took him to a physician and he checked the baby and said there was nothing to worry about. Also the amount he might have swallowed..if any...would be so little that it would be harmless as theres isnt much of anything at that particular part of the jar, and that i had nothing to worry about. The baby had no symptoms of any toxics or anything but i was still worried and wasn't totally satisfied. So i posted this request here so that if any of you fine people have had any such experiences (i hope none of you have though) you could share with me and i'd probably be a bit more at ease.

Anyway, i thank each and every single person who replied to me.. thank you all for taking time out to help me. A friend of mine who is also a doctor just spoke to me and now i am quite satisfied.

Thank you.

God bless you all.

Amber.
Old March 31, 2009, 04:06 AM   #5
Sixer

One time I ingested some Hoppe's #9... The next morning I woke up with hair on my chest.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I believe Clenzoil has coal oil in it. Same as is used in some dandruff shampoo. Not a high hazard toxin. There may also be lead residue from the hands that opened and closed the box in the past, but again, you would need prolonged exposure to accumulate enough to cause a problem. If you are worried, a blood lead level test may be done, but I doubt you'd find anything unless your nephew has exposure from elsewhere.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 31, 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt the baby could have swallowed enough that way to cause any harm, short term or long term. If the doctor sees no problem, I think you can stop worrying, but I don't need to say to be more careful in the future.

Sixer, if Hoppes will grow hair on my HEAD, I'll buy a gallon of it.

Jim
Old March 31, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8
grymster2007

Why are you screwing around on the internet when you should be calling the Poison Control Center?
Old March 31, 2009, 02:50 PM   #9
robfromga

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ What that guy said!
Old March 31, 2009, 03:00 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Geez, guys... she said she forgot to mention she had gone to a doc already... I think she wanted more experienced opinion of gun cleaning products than the doc may have.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 03:18 PM   #11
grymster2007

Quote:
Geez, guys... she said she forgot to mention she had gone to a doc already
OK Brent, but there was this:
Quote:
I will take him to a doctor as soon as i can meanwhile....
before there was this:
Quote:
In my haste i failed to mention that i took him to a physician
Old March 31, 2009, 03:25 PM   #12
FlyFish

For more information, you could contact Clenzoil at www.clenzoil.com and request (there's a link on their home page) a copy of their Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), which will include a variety of information about the toxicity (or lack thereof, I guess) of the product. They're required by law to have an MSDS, and to provide it to you.

It's also a good idea - after doing the EMS, doctor, hospital thing of course - to contact the manufacturer of any potentially toxic chemical if you've been exposed. They should have someone on staff trained to provide information about the product in case of emergencies involving it. My best shooting buddy had that job at a major chemical supplier - he had emergency information for about 7,000 chemicals literally at his fingertips.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:37 PM   #13
grymster2007

There are a bunch of MSDS archives. Here's one I use fairly often:

Seton
Old March 31, 2009, 05:13 PM   #14
m.p.driver

Dont worry,i was weaned on Hoppes 9 and it didnt hurt me.To get him through it however give him a set of Pachmayr grips to teeth on.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Nnobby45

Quote:
One time I ingested some Hoppe's #9... The next morning I woke up with hair on my chest.
Thanks for the tip, Alice. Sounds like a neat joke to play on my mother in law.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:28 AM   #16
Amber

This is what had happened

Ok now that i am not stressed out or anything... i'll tell you what happened, since my first post was quite confusing as i was really panicked and worried and not really thinking clearly.
Once i found out what happened i quickly took him to the nearest doctor and called my sister from my cell. The doctor did whatever necessary, asked me questions and i also showed him the cleaner jar. Initially i was veryy relieved and quite satisfied with his response. When i came back home, i started doing my chores and all, but my mind was still not working properly... i dont know why or how it happened but i just got frightened suddenly. The thought that scared me was this... what of the doctor doesnt know how dangerous one of those chemicals in that cleaner is? Or what if the baby has had a little more then the amount the docter thinks is safe? Or what if the doctoer missed one ingridient that was dangerous? when ur panicked... all sorts of scary things c ome to mind and thats what happened to me.

I didint come her to get a second opinion... what i really wanted was to hear from someone that they knew someone who had accidently tasted some solvent and nothing ever happened to them... that an extremely little quantity was not dangerous... . I dont know how to explain what i wanted to hear... and i sure didin't want to hear from anyone that their child had had some such solvent...call me stupid... i guess all i wanted was some reassurance.

When i said " i will take him to the doctor as soon as i can" .. as i said i was really scare and worried at that time and honestly, i didint even know what i was writing. What i was suppoed to write was " i took him to the doctor as soon as i could". But that again is noone else's fault but my own.

I am all the time very very careful with firearms and cleaning supplies honestly i am. I dont have too many firearms just 2 little handguns and thats it...dad and big brother have their weapons around the house...many of them but they are always locked somewhere in their rooms in their gun cabnets... i keep mine in two small gun safes that are always locked and the cleaning supplies are also always locked away. I keep my ammunation locked seperately from the guns, in another drawer.. also locked. But that doesn;t mean it wasn't my fault. I deserve everything you are saying and i know i am a terriable aunt.. i have been very very stupid and i feel so bad i dont know what to say.

I feel so terriable.

Amber.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:15 AM   #17
grymster2007

OK Amber, I'm going to assume you did the right things and I'll harbor no hard feelings. I can and do remain silent on a lot of things where comment would not be inappropriate, but when the health and welfare of little ones are at stake, I find it very difficult to resist.

With that behind us; Welcome to TFL!
Old April 2, 2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Amber,

While you are beating yourself up, remember that only God is perfect and the rest of us make mistakes or have accidents from time to time. All humans can do is take prudent steps to minimize the likelihood of untoward events, we cannot guarantee absolute safety. As Libertarian David Bergland once observed: "Utopia is a place where everyone always has everything they want and nothing ever goes wrong. Utopia is not one of the options."

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 4, 2009, 07:20 PM   #19
bamafan4life

anyone who has young children should have the number to poison controll on there refrigorator in there billfold or pocket book and if they have cell phones in there contacts. my parents had it on speed dial when i was still curous about the stuff under the kitchen sink. and boy they had to call it just about every week lol
Old April 4, 2009, 09:04 PM   #20
voyager4520

I don't see why you came here first. You should be at a hospital getting blood work done on the kid right now.

You may reveal yourself as not so smart this one time, but if you don't call poison control your nephew may be not so smart for the rest of his life.
Old April 4, 2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Swampghost

Hopefully she has done something at this point.

I think that this brings up a new topic.