The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
2DaMtns

Shot my first reloads today

So I finally made it out to the range today to test fire some reloads. I had ten different loads worked up and found the one that I am going to load in larger quantities and shoot some more, make sure it's a keeper. I was shooting my 357 and like I feared/hoped/expected, I am hooked. I am researching some so I can start to load a 38 round to shoot just for fun, and can't wait to start loading some for my rifles as well. I need to get a couple scoped first though. But anyway, everything went off without a hitch, and I only had a couple misfires, I think 4 out of 70. Kind of a high percentage, but I was using CCI primers and I have aftermarket springs in it. I am thinking of either going with a "softer" primer or putting the factory springs back in it, and I also want to get some action work done. And all the misfires fired in DA, which is how I'd be shooting in a self defense scenario, so I am not TOO concerned just yet.

And as a side note, I met a guy out there with a TC Encore in 45-70 with a 15 inch barrel, and he let me shoot it 4 or 5 times. That was some fun.
Old December 19, 2008, 08:10 PM   #2
DarkMinds650

Ehhh...word of advice....Never worry about misfire's of reloads in a defensive situation, Because you will never use re-loads in a defensive situation..
Use of re-loads, in the United States, in a defensive situation, can very easily be turned into murder and long prison time by lawyers...
Old December 19, 2008, 08:22 PM   #3
The Terminator

He is right. Even with a justified self defense shooting, they will jump on your reloaded ammo. Buy and keep what the cops use. Your lawyer can make the best defense out of that, for you. Best - Ted
Old December 19, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
marshall623

Thank's
I never thought of it like that, with lawyers turning you inside out.
I just dumped out the 158 XTP's on top of Blue Dot and put in some
110 Win's sombeody give me marked personal defence on the box.
Is it just me or does the criminals have more rights than we do
Old December 19, 2008, 10:33 PM   #5
The Terminator

Quote:
Is it just me or does the criminals have more rights than we do
Yes, been like that since Earl Warren, was Supreme Court Justice. He virtually did away with the guilt factor, even the signed confession in favor of the rights of the "accused" over the rights of the victim. That is why we waste millions on the "obviously" guilty, like Brian Nicholls here in Georgia. Excuse me, I gotta go puke over this thought.

Last edited by The Terminator; December 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:02 AM   #6
Shoney

DarkMinds650 and The Terminator
You have apparently read up on the subject of "handloads used in defense can lead to murder charges,"

Could you please give the cases involved or where the articles are that you read may be found, so we can all be educated.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:04 AM   #7
2DaMtns

Good points guys. I actually had asked a question about reloads and SD in another thread. I carry my pistol (this 6" model anyway) as a backup sidearm for hunting or often as my only arm while fishing, camping, or just banging around the woods, and I was thinking more of an unwanted four legged pest. I am about to get an SP101 that will always be loaded with factory loads for the two legged variety (dang those turkeys).
Old December 20, 2008, 12:10 AM   #8
The Terminator

Quote:
DarkMinds650 and The Terminator
You have apparently read up on the subject of "handloads used in defense can lead to murder charges,"

Could you please give the cases involved or where the articles are that you read may be found, so we can all be educated.
In The Gravest Extreme by Massad F. Ayoob. Now you, can enlighten yourself by reading it. Using handloads for self defense is asking for legal troubles.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Shoney

2DaMtns
Did you try to fire your misfires a second time?

CCI primers have a very hard cup, whhich is very helful for preventing slamfires in semi-autos. Many beginning reloaders don't seat the primers all the way down, it' a common mistake. It is very possible that the combination of the CCI hardness and not being seated all they way caused the misfires. What happerns is the firing pin striking the primer, drives it forward and seats it without detonating it.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:17 AM   #10
The Terminator

Shoney,
Funny that you should mention that about the CCI primers. That happened to me at the range about two weks ago. The CCI primers were all sitting too high. It 2 took strikes on the primer for about 40 of the 50 rounds. It took 3 strikes on some, but they all did fire. I bought a chamfer tool, and a primer pocket brush, and now the next batch of ammo has primers that are seated very flatly.

Last edited by The Terminator; December 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: word left out.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:19 AM   #11
Tony C

Prudence

Quote:
Shoney,

No one man is the know-all, be-all but one of the foremost leading experts in this area is Mas Ayoob and he has written for years of just these situations where in a justified shooting the DA in a criminal charge, or attorney for a wrongful death suit put real hurts on the shooter using his own reloads.

You can argue this all day long, Clint Smith takes the other side, but Ayoob testifies regularly in cases like this and his word is good enough for me. There is no reason to chance a problem like this in order to save $25 in factory ammo like good Gold Dot or Black Hills ammo.

My $0.02 worth...

"Yet I know that my redeemer lives..." Job 19:25
Old December 20, 2008, 12:25 AM   #12
The Terminator

IF you really are serious about wanting to know, here is the an article, but, you have to pay for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Handloads-self.../dp/B000F6IGOG

Another, better:
http://www.wetinkpro.com/john/site/comments.php
Old December 20, 2008, 12:29 AM   #13
Shoney

I've read articles by Ayoob, but not on that subject. I just did a search for Clint Smit, and got lots of material I can read later.

Thank You!