The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
The Terminator

My first 98 rounds, what I've learned, and the LC4HTP.

Well, 98 rounds later, what have I learned? I did reload many years ago, it is a little like having learned to ride a bike, but not completely.

I loaded my first 10 rounds on the Lee Loader, already reviewed here. Basically a hammer and some dies to knock the brass around, and perform each necessary task. Really more effective than you might think.

Next, I loaded 40 rounds with the Lee Hand Press. Lots less banging going on here, I have already reviewed that. All 50 rounds had high primers and had to be loaded and shot one at a time, can't have high primers touching the bullet heads behind it, in the 45/70 lever action. Get a primer chamfering tool and a primer pocket brush. Did. Lesso learned.

Next 5 rounds on the Lee Hand Press, primer pockets properly prepared this time. Everything is great. I went ahead and resized and primed the remaing 50 or so rounds with the Lee priming ram that is made for the hand press. I liked it fairly well.

Next, I found my RCBS 2, cleaned it, oiled the ram, it worked and looked absolutely new. I did 10 more rounds with it, night before last. I seated the bullets, and crimped them with the LFCD.

Finally, I got my Lee 4 Hole Classic Turret set up today. I bolted it to my computer desk. My office is my enclave in the home. Wife staunchly claims the rest of the house. I do, however, have complete control of the big screen tv. The Classic turret press was everything that I expected it to be today. Like with the RCBS, I only seated and factory crimped the bullets. I did like turning the turret back and forth, performing both steps while the bullet was still in the press. I doubt that I will need the auto indexing feature any time soon. I have all 4 holes filled. I haven't had a chance to try resizing, depriming, priming or expanding the case mouths, yet. I don't think I'll go shooting tomorrow to make some more empty brass. I don't know yet. Oh, I picked up a nice set of digital calipers a few days ago. Lucky, I can use them at work. (wink, wink) That being the case, my very good employer will get the bill on his American Express card. Here is a photo of the press, after its light workout.

BTW, that RCBS is sharing an emotional bond with me, I don't think that I can sell it as I had planned. It is like an old friend. Best - Ted