The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Followthehollow

RCBS Master Kit or Supreme Master Kit

Ok heres my question, I found an RCBS Master kit in my local gun shop, and it includes a case trimmer and automatic priming feed.

the only one they have on midway is the Supreme Master Kit, which doesn't include the case trimmer and has a hand priming tool.

I can't find the supreme master kit on the RCBS site either.

Basically I'm wondering is one a newer version than the other or something? and which would be best to start with. Thanks.
Old December 4, 2005, 11:05 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

There seem to be quite a number and variety of RCBS kits. On the RCBS website there is a description of the Rockchucker Master kit. There is also a Supreme Master kit and and Advanced Supreme Master kit. They all have case trimmers. Only the first of the three has an automatic primer feeder. The Advanced Supreme Master kit has an electronic powder charge dispensing system (very nice), and the others have a balance beam scale and powder measure. The Supremes feature the Supreme press, rather than the Rockchucker. The difference is the Supreme has a taller throat (the “O” in O-press) so large magnum cartridges are easier to load in it. There are probably some other minor differences in the kits.

A general observation is that the Supreme kits are more oriented to the rifle shooter. The Rockchucker kit is a little more general purpose. Personally, I don’t mind hand priming. You can sit in front of the TV with your bag of resized cases and go through the lot easily with a hand tool. Automatic feed mechanisms matter more in progressive loaders, where you buy the thing for volume and speed in the first place. I use a Dillon 550 for less critical rifle rounds (for standing off-hand and timed fire stages of a match), but load my 600, 800, and 1000 yard rounds all one-at-a-time on a Forster Bonanza Co-ax press.

The Advanced Supreme Master kit is expensive because of the electronic dispenser. I saw it at $499. The best price I spotted on the Supreme Master with the conventional beam balance and measure was at Midsouth Shooter’s Supply for $219.00.

Nick

Last edited by Unclenick; December 6, 2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old December 5, 2005, 02:16 PM   #3
Followthehollow

This is where I've got confused, you stated that all 3 of the kits have a case trimmer. but the page at midway for the surpreme
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=646599
doesn't list it as having one. Did they just forget to type it in or is this yet another version?
Old December 5, 2005, 08:52 PM   #4
drvector

RC supreme

Followthehollow,

I spoke with the folks at RCBS a couple of weeks ago because I was confused about the same thing you were. The stuff posted on the RCBS web site refers to and older setup they were selling a year or more ago. The latest version of the RC supreme does not contain the case trimmer. So if you can pick it up for around the $240-250 mark with the trimmer (selling price of a new kit at cabals’), your in good shape. I also just bought the RC Supreme kit, but I purchased the Lee hand trimmer kits for the calibers (~ $9 for 30-06, 357 and 38) that I shoot and plan to reload.

Regards
Old December 5, 2005, 08:57 PM   #5
Followthehollow

Thank you!
I found one of the old kits for around 270$ at a local shop, so since I won't have to pay shipping I figure thats a good enough deal! thanks again.
Old December 6, 2005, 09:28 PM   #6
Big Cabin

I have the auto prime deal but went out and bought a hand priming device from RCBS like I used to have. I prefer the tactile feel of the hand primer and can blast through a hundred rounds in a hurry.