The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1
Trapp

Another brass Question....

Where can I find out what the numbers/letters mean on the brass I have? I have no idea where it came from, Good idea what caliber, don't know who manufactured it though.........
Old February 11, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Ozzieman

If you can attach a picture

or some numbers, there are many places on the internet. But some discription would help. I have one gun that I have several rounds for. I really enjoy getting them out and showing them to people that know a lot about guns.
They are the oddest cartrages you ever seen.
Go look up an 1856 Burnsides carbine,
Old February 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Archie

It varies...

Commercial ammo is pretty easy to figure, it's the manufacturer (sometimes code) and the caliber.

Military ammo is pretty straightforward; it's the manufacturing facility and the date of manufacture. It's problematic because just about every nation or force has it's own format and coding. Usually, military ammo does not have caliber designations; soldiers were only issued ammo for the issue weapon, so there's little chance of confusion. Sure.

A circle with a + inside indicates the ammo is acceptable for NATO standards. Warsaw Pact nations probably had some identifier as well, but I don't know what it might have been (and I'll not guarantee there was such a mark, but it seems like there ought to have been, right?)

Collecting ammo, to include headstamp identification, is a hobby in it's own right. And a fascinating look at manufacturing history and military philosophy.
Old February 12, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Kahrgo9

Try...

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm