The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 7, 2002, 12:41 AM   #1
sven

Polishing the Barrel Shroud on my CZ

Cross posted from CZForum, but looking for more feedback:

---

I feel a strong urge (which, of course, I resist) to grab a dremel and polish the barrel shroud on my CZ-75B... ie, the portion which shows through the ejection port.

Is there any way to get a mirror polish on the exposed bit of the barrel? Is this risky? Could this smooth out the feel of the slide?

Thanks,

-sven
Old August 7, 2002, 02:12 PM   #2
sven

16 views and no replies... seems uncharacteristic for TFL!
Old August 7, 2002, 04:14 PM   #3
Romulus

Just my thoughts...polishing the barrel hood with jewelers rouge and a dremel felt tip, provided you don't go to town on it at a million rpms for two days straight, should not alter the specs. But I'm no expert, so take it for what it's worth
Old August 7, 2002, 06:25 PM   #4
Hand_Rifle_Guy

Jeweler's rouge is a good one.

Simichrome in the same application. brasso would work too, but would take longer. Not as much abrasive.

For that matter, I've polished steel with automotive rubbing compound. Results are a lot like simichrome.

BE CAREFUL WITH BUFFING WHEELS! In conjunction with fine abrasives, buffing wheels, be they Dremel or pedestal, are quite capable of digging "waves" into surfaces that wish they were flat. Removing "waves' in sweaty gruntwork, and is to be avoided at all costs. run slow RPM, and don't press hard. Be patient, and give the abrasive time to cut without leaning on the contact surface.

Could also just get a couple of pieces of 1000 and 1500-grit silicon carbide sandpaper. Orchard Supply Hardware stocks that stuff here in the PRK. Automotive paint-supply places have it also. It'll leave a finish you can see your face in. MAKE SURE YOU RUN IT ON A BACKING BLOCK! Unless you LIKE the "melted" look.

Other helpful advice on this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=93737

I'm reminded of that every time the phone rings.

"The telephone is an infernal device whereby any damnfool with a nickel can ruin your whole day."---Mark Twain

H_R_G
Old August 7, 2002, 07:03 PM   #5
sven

H_R_G: Thanks for the excellent post and for the link to the old thread. I searched for 20 minutes and didn't find that post - wrong keywords, I guess.

Do I still use a backing block if the piece I am polishing is rounded? I understadn this technique for a flat area (slide side), but I am talking about polishing the bit of the barrel which is exposed through the ejection port.... which is round on the CZ.

Thanks again and keep up the... interesting... work on DSP!

-sven in Paly
Old August 7, 2002, 07:56 PM   #6
hansolo

CZ barrel surface

Just a Postscript to your solved problem: I've owned 2 CZs and looked at many more. Would it add too much cost to production to polish the exterior of the barrel? Everyone I've seen looks like they dragged it on a gravel road. I guess I expect too much from an inexpensive pistol. I've been using Flitz metal polish on feedramp and other areas of barrels(outside)to bring-out a nicer patina...Flitz is very similar to Semichrome. I'm a little nervous to go to the sand paper!

Otherwise, cool pistols!
Old August 7, 2002, 08:29 PM   #7
Romulus

Brasso contains ammonia, I don't know the percentage, but couldn't that harm the steel? I know I'm not supposed to leave ammoniated bore cleaner in my barrel more than 10 minutes...