The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2007, 09:48 PM   #1
foghead

Mini-14 .223 load for a newbie...

Howdy all... just stumbled in from the web in search of an all-round decent varmint/target load for my Mini-14. The rifle is a standard rifle with what looks to be an 18.5" barrel that has a 1-10" twist to it. (To try and get more accuracy out of it, it has a brake and an adjustable gas block already installed and torqued.)

Anyone have a preferred load that they've had decent results with? I'm just starting to get into reloading, so please go easy on me with the technical terms..

Also, if anyone has decent loads for 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 (light ball for a semi-auto) I'd appreciate it as well...

Thanks in advance to all...
Old November 30, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2
RDub

One load I have used for years for general purpose shooting with a .223 Mini-14 is,

26.5 grs H-335
55 grain Full Metal Jacket
CCI 450 small rifle mag primer

I've used this load in both GI and commercial brass.
Old November 30, 2007, 07:58 AM   #3
foghead

Ok...

Thank you... I'll make note of this combo.

With the 1-10 barrel twist, does that mean it'll like heavier or lighter bullets for accuracy?

Also, how would this round work on a woodchuck or coyote?
Old November 30, 2007, 08:14 AM   #4
BillCA

With the moderately slow 1:10 twist rate your gun will prefer lighter bullets. This twist rate will barely stabilize a 62-gr bullet and not at all in denser air around zero degrees F.

55-gr and lighter bullets should work well.

Also note that the Mini-14 has a predisposition to "walking" it's point of aim around as the barrel heats up from repeated shooting. If you're trying for accuracy, test your loads at the range and let the barrel cool between shots.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:56 AM   #5
armoredman

Interestingly enough, I shot my 580 series Mini-14 yesterday, and two loads stood out. Well, one was factory, the Remington 45gr JHP, good accuracy, and a 60gr Hornady SP load, atop 25gr of H-4895, with CCI 41 milspec primers. Just happened to have them laying about, using Winchester SRP now.
Old November 30, 2007, 09:12 PM   #6
totalloser

I use win 748 and hornady 55 boat tail fmj's out of my 1 in 10 mini. Best accuracy I EVER saw outta that rifle. Anything heavier floats all over the place. I really like the Hornady's. Super cheap flat shooting very accurate. My other .223s have a 1 in 9 and like heavier bullets a LOT more.
Old December 1, 2007, 04:01 PM   #7
foghead

So far so good!

I now have a few to start with here... I'm just looking for something that will be good enough for 100-150 yds. and iron sights. Coyote and wild dogs are the intended targets at the moment... 2" at 100 yds will be acceptable in this situation.
Old December 4, 2007, 08:55 PM   #8
totalloser

Boy, I would be REALLY surprised if you got 2" at 100yds, but if you are shooting varmints, I would avoid my suggested load (fmj) and take a look at the winchester psp's. They expand violently on impact, so no good for larger game, (not enough penetration) but for dogs, nice clean kill. Stick to 55 or lower is my advice for a 1 in 10. At 150 you should have NO problem knocking them down.
Old December 20, 2007, 10:43 AM   #9
samsterii

Mini-14 on the DCM range

Once upon a time I shot in a DCM match to get a Garand rifle. My 181 mini-14 had a shortened 16" barrel and Choate short flash suppressor on it. I really pissed off all the old guys with their fancy Garands and my muzzle blast, but I scored high marksman, almost sharpshooter or something like that at the 100yrd targets. I used my stash of 55gr FMJs in the cheap white USA marked boxes. Usually I shoot reloaded 55gr SP Hornady (or IMI FMJ) rounds in front of 26gr Hodgdon BL-C2, CCI mag primers, and comm. brass (unsorted). BL-C2 meters great and is basically mil-spec powder. Pretty clean too. SP in 223 is just a messy bullet in anything it hits.

Oh ya, it's funny to hear people knock a Mini-14. I was at training class this year and to kill time the instructor slapped in a VHS tape of a Nevada MG shoot. This guy had a AC556 (Full auto Mini-14) and empties 10 30rd mags as fast as he could and kept dowsing the thing with water to keep the stock from igniting. The thing never missed a beat and the guy claims he does this all the time for shows. Like my well maintained 181 and 182 series will ever see that treatment! Tough as nails and gets the job done. I build ARs, and SU-16s, but the Minis are still on the favorite list for their odd jobs. My two cents.
Old December 20, 2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Alleykat

I'd second the opinion that the Mini is plenty accurate for varmint hunting. Just don't try any shots farther than 40 yds.
Old December 20, 2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Ralph Allen

25.0 gr H335, Hornady SXSP, Remington primers. Makes a great dogtown walking load. SXSP's do a great job.
Ralph
Old December 20, 2007, 11:26 PM   #12
enstorm

A 10" twist in 223 should be able to stabilize at least a 60 g bullet. Beware of oal and your ability to fit the rounds into the magazine. I bought 500 rounds of British mil surp 5.56 to run through my mini. It turned out that the rounds, with bullets that are 62 or 63 grains, are too long to fit into the mag, factory and aftermarket. I can squeeze a few in but when the stacked rounds hit the bend in the mag, that's it. So, I have 500 rounds of nice British 5.56 kicking around. 55 grains will fit just fine.
Old December 26, 2007, 03:41 AM   #13
totalloser

Something to note about the mini's is that there were many rifling twists. 1 in 10 1 in 9 and they had an old one that had a VARIABLE twist. I think it ended with 1 in 8. I had really bad luck with my 1 in 10 with ss109 (62 gr fmjbt). It became my favorite gun to take to the range after I started shooting hornady fmjbt 55gr ahead of win 748 and #41. Some mini's barrel flexes when they get hot. Kinda a crapshoot to get a good one, but STONE COLD RELIABLE with good mags (factory or pmi) No weak abrasion susceptible aluminum or plastic. I have all 3 and still like the mini's. They shoot better than the SP1 (AR) light barrels, but wont give the accuracy of the hbar ars or su heavies. Usually, anyhow. Some do.
Lotta lead poisoning in Africa from 'em. They are military rifles in some countries.
Old December 26, 2007, 03:57 AM   #14
T. O'Heir

Hi and welcome. The Standard Mini-14 is an expensive toy. It doesn't really shoot well enough to hunt anything. They are 100% reliable and fun to shoot with good ammo, but for the money demanded, they are grossly inaccurate. 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards is normal. Even with carefully loaded match grade bullets. Don't despair though. With well made handloads using good bullets, you can get one to shoot consistently. Forget one hole groups though.
"...They are military rifles in some countries..." Name one.
"...decent loads for..." For all rifles, you have to work up the load for that rifle. No two will shoot the same ammo the same way.
"...18.5" barrel..." Yep. 1 in 9 rifling. Use 55 or 690 grain bullets.
Old December 26, 2007, 10:38 AM   #15
armoredman

I have heard this before, that Mini-14s are military service somewhere, but I haven't ever seen a picture of one soldier carrying a Mini-14. I like my Mini, I am still working on the right load to get minute of man accuracy, and it is my do all rifle, but I don't think it's military service grade. I could be wrong, been wrong before, will be wrong again. It is as reliable as the day is long.
Old January 6, 2008, 10:56 AM   #16
foghead

So far so good....

Ok all... I decided to try something a little different here... I got myself a 1000 rounds of Winchester 55gr PSP bullets cheeeep. So... now for a suggestion on primers/powder for them...

26.3 gr of 748 powder is in a Winchester manual here... but which primer? And as long as it's not a magnum primer, will all primer brands be about the same?

Thanks a million again for the info... and FWIW, either your mini shoots, or it don't. Mine (luckily) does; just like the one that samsterii owns. It did great when I first got it and only got much better after I installed one of the adjustable gas blocks.

Anyone out there have info on which rifles may have had the variable twist rate????
Old January 6, 2008, 05:41 PM   #17
CrustyFN

I don't load for a Mini but do load for an AR 15. I like W748 and H335 powder. Both meter very well in my auto disk measure. I have used BL-C2 and didn't like it as much. I have a 1:9 twist and shoot 55 and 62 grain bullets both with good accuracy. I can't give a group size because I have never shot it from a rest yet. I do get them all on the target shooting prone at 300 yards and I'm happy with that. I have been using mostly pulled military bullets and am going to try making some match ammo this year. Welcome,
Rusty

Edit: You can use any brand primer. W748 & H335 calls for a magnum primer in my book but they shoot fine with a standard primer. Once you find the great load and switch any component you will want to drop the charge a little and work back up.
Old January 10, 2008, 01:52 AM   #18
totalloser

I believe it was South Africa that fielded them in select fire version. I read about them being fielded in a (small) handful of African nations. That's why for a while you could get cheap African ammo! Boxer primed, brass cased at that! I read about it in Shotgun News, I think, but it was YEARS ago. Stuck in my head because at the time I only owned 3 rifles and they were all Mini 14's.
Seems like a good military arm. ABSOLUTELY reliable with good mags, and compared to the accuracy and fire control of an AK, it's pretty good.