The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 27, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
DWB100

Winchester Model 100, 284 Cal.

I just brought this rife a couple months ago.
I took it out and shot it 15 times with out any problems.
I put a scope on it and fired it 2 times and started jaming.
I seems to jam on the left side or 3nd shot from fully loaded and sometimes
the fourth shot.
I took it apart and cleaned the piston and cylinder and no improvement.
I got a new ss piston from nu line and no improvement.
It seems that the shell gets in part way in binds up and the bullet tip gets crushed.
I read that the clip spring may have become to soft.
I am shooting winchester factory shells.
Has anyone got any thoughts
Old June 27, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It may be reaching, but could there be a connection between the scope and the jams? Were there already scope mounts on the rifle or did you put them on? If so, check to make sure none of the mount screws stick down into the action and interfere with the bolt.

Of course, it could be a bad magazine spring or a bad magazine. I hope not, as those magazines are just about unobtainable.

Jim
Old June 27, 2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Doyle

I'm not a Win 100 expert (don't even play one on TV), however, I can pass along something I recently learned from someone who has 4. There is a known firing pin problem with them that Winchester issued a recall for. It seems that the pin can break and turn it into an open bolt auto - not good. When he found out about the recall, he called up Winchester, gave them the serial number (so they could verify it was still on the recall list), and they sent him a new firing pin and a check for $30 so that he could have someone install it (he did it himself easily).

Sorry to derail your thread but I thought you might want to know about Winchester's eagerness to get those pins replaced.
Old June 28, 2007, 12:35 PM   #4
DWB100

winchester 100, 284 cal.

I mounted the scope and I checked the screw length and they are fine.
I did notice the the shells in the clip has to climb up and over about a 1/4" inch within a short distance of a 1/4". That seams to be asking alot from a clip.
Has anyone reloaded to a smaller grain bullet to maybe shorten the cartrige length to gain a little distance.
Old July 22, 2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Dave Cortese

Model 100 jam

I am having the same problem, almost exactly. Except I did not replace the scope. I did replACE THE CLIP AS I lost the original elk hunting. I am now looking for someone to fix it, or to learn how...
Old July 23, 2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I just noticed this thread for the first time. I have a Win 100 in 284, but mine is a Carbine model. I also built a bolt action rifle in 35-284 and know the "problems" adjusting the feed rails to propertly work. If you are sure there are no scope mounting screws going through the receiver that could touch the bolt and slow it down. The only other thing that comes to mind is you have a bent or damaged feed lip on the magazine. I suppose it could be a weak mag spring too but I am more inclined to think Mag damage. The magazines are available, just be sitting down when you hear the price of one, especially in the 284. Unfortunatly for us 284 owners, we can't use a 243 mag for a 308 or even a 358. The 284 has a mag of its own. I found replacements on line at one time but I don't have the link. I am sure you can Google it up. Best of luck to the 2 of you.
Old July 24, 2007, 12:05 AM   #7
Steven Mace

Magazine parts and complete assemblies for the Winchester Model 100 are listed at the link below.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/winchester/88_100.htm

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace