The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 25, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Hundy

Uberti rifles

I am looking into getting a Henry Big boy 44mag. While looking online, I came upon the Uberti webiste. I have to admit I really like the 1860 Henery's on there and I like the Sharps Carbine Single shot. I probably wont ever be able to afford a Real Authentic Aged Henery or Sharps. But I think I would like to own the Uberti rifles that look like the original old school rifles. I was just curious if anyone here owns or has owned one, and has any imput on the firearms.
I still may buy the Henry Big Boy 44, and a Uberti Sharps Carbine. But I would like to hear from anyone that has had one.

Thank you

Jay
Old February 26, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

The Uberti leverguns are typically well-made & reliable shooters.

You do know the original & repro Henries are totally different from the Henry Big Boy, I hope.
Denis
Old February 26, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
dos0711

I have a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt and it is a lot of fun to shoot. Very accurate with the iron sites. Well built here in the United States.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:07 AM   #4
Hundy

Uberti Rifles

Thank you for the imput. I knew they the rifles are different. I really like the look of a repro model, to me the Big Boy looks, like a old school saddle gun. I am looking for that old school lever action saddle gun look and feel.
I have heard alot of good things about Henery Big boys, I have not heard much on Uberti brand rifles.
You hit my soft spot. Very good selling point that Henery Big Boy is US made.

Thank you again

Jay
Old February 26, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
hodaka

Nothing bad about Henry but the Uberti's are hard to beat in the cool factor department. Too bad they are so expensive.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:22 AM   #6
myfriendis410

I can't speak about the lever guns but I do have an Italian Sharps--a Pedersoli, and it's a fabulous rifle. My personal favorite shooting iron. With a home cast and lubed 518 gr, handload it shoots into one hole at 100 yards, and the cool factor is off the charts when you pull it out.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:27 PM   #7
mikiec

Henry is in the process of bringing out a 1860 model in 44.40. Hopefully this year.

I have a Henry 45C.

Mike
Old March 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Hawg

Other than being a lever action the Henry Big Boy is nothing like what was actually used, not even close. The Uberti rifles are really close clones of actual guns. The 1860 has no forearm and the barrel gets really hot, especially with bp and you have to watch out for the follower.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
joe45c

I've had a uberti 1860 in .45 colt for 6yrs now and really love it. the recoil is non exietent, and the heavy barrel helps stablize the gun in off hand shooting. I mounted a marbles tang site on it and it works great. so far i've been shooting it at the range, i haven't tried it on deer yet. Except for matching the original .44 rimfire, uberti pretty much has duplicated the originals.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:40 AM   #10
az_imuth

I opened this thread hoping to see some Uberti pictures. Man, some of their rifles are truly a work of art.
Old March 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Peter M. Eick

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12
TexIndian

In addition to the guns Uberti markets under their own name, they also make guns for at least one other vendor to sell under their own name. The one I'm familiar with is Cimarron Firearms in Fredericksburg, Texas (as shown in the Henry above). Some of the configurations they make for Cimarron are not available from Uberti.

I have two Cimarron guns and I'll try to post some pics for az_imuth:

The 1866 Yellow Boy I bought for my wife, in .38 Special. She loves it and it shoots pretty darn good (although it could use some trigger work).

I got myself an 1885 High Wall in 45-70. I didn't get a real good picture of the whole gun outside in dim light:

But I got some good shots indoors of the case-hardened receiver and set triggers, and the Pedersoli sights I put on front and rear:

Old March 10, 2013, 04:33 PM   #13
USMCGrunt

I had a Uberti 1860 in .45 Colt as well as a Uberti 1866 in .44-40 but sadly, the wife (now ex) figured I needed to sell them so we would have more money for other things...like golf or alabama football games so I had to sell them. Really though they are quite nice and I still have my 1873 rifle in .45 Colt so I'm not completely out. I WILL get those other 2 models again but the price on them sure have gone up since the days I first got them. That being said though, I think I would look for them in .44-40 rather than the .45 Colt chambering. The .44-40 caliber does a lot better job at sealing the chamber when firing black powder rather than have the fouling coming back onto the bolt and reciever.
As far as Henry firearms, I have never cared for them. The only thing they have in common with the historical lever actions is the name but nothing in the design or construction. Some folks like them and good for them but it's just not for me. As far as the claim that they are American made, yes, that's true. However, that doesn't sway me much since they are made in a blue state. Cimmaron Arms is located in a red state so I have no problems supporting the importers in that state as well.
Old March 10, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
az_imuth

Those are some really nice looking rifles! I have always loved the wood on the Uberti rifles and the case-coloring is also quite nice. That high wall is beautiful.
Thanks for posting them.